Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to using OC Auxiliary Tools App (Also known as OCAT)

Okay, here we go again. I am working on a new build and using OC for this 3rd build of mine. I am sure I am missing something simple but I cannot figure out how to add lines to the Device Properties section of OCAT. I do see in OCAT under Device Properties the "+" sign, but it adds a blue highlighted line that I cannot type in.

FYI, I have followed the OpenCore Install Guide on dortania github and created the EFI folder. I grabbed the sample plist from the OpenCorePkg and placed it in my EFI folder and opened it up with ProperTree and performed the "Clean Snapshot".

When I got to the Configs section (setting up the config.plist) of the OC install guide I decided to use OCAT instead of ProperTree since OCAT shows I can make all changes there and I like the user interface.

I also read and followed the link in the DeviceProperties section of the OC install guide stating this is set up using WhateverGreen's Framebuffer Patching Guide. I opened the link, read through that but still seem to be missing the link of how to add lines.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You

Attachments

• OCP1.jpg
    OCP1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29
Okay, here we go again. I am working on a new build and using OC for this 3rd build of mine. I am sure I am missing something simple but I cannot figure out how to add lines to the Device Properties section of OCAT. I do see in OCAT under Device Properties the "+" sign, but it adds a blue highlighted line that I cannot type in.

FYI, I have followed the OpenCore Install Guide on dortania github and created the EFI folder. I grabbed the sample plist from the OpenCorePkg and placed it in my EFI folder and opened it up with ProperTree and performed the "Clean Snapshot".

When I got to the Configs section (setting up the config.plist) of the OC install guide I decided to use OCAT instead of ProperTree since OCAT shows I can make all changes there and I like the user interface.

I also read and followed the link in the DeviceProperties section of the OC install guide stating this is set up using WhateverGreen's Framebuffer Patching Guide. I opened the link, read through that but still seem to be missing the link of how to add lines.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You
The plus is on both sides note the second block is children or sibling side, the first is the Parent side. You can double click or right click to type manually or paste with Mac commands in empty created blocks. Some of the blocks on the children/sibling side are pre-set toggles. If I have said anything radically wrong here guys please correct me.

The plus is on both sides note the second block is children or sibling side, the first is the Parent side. You can double click or right click to type manually or paste with Mac commands in empty created blocks. Some of the blocks on the children/sibling side are pre-set toggles. If I have said anything radically wrong here guys please correct me.
Thanks for the help @dasboot5 . A little embarrassed about asking. And it was so simple as well. I can keep moving along now.

I've been scanning through this thread and I'm not sure I've seen what I'm looking for. I have a Hacky running Catalina with Clover that I want to migrate to OC. Can this tool help me build a USB with an EFI folder that I can use to test out OC and see if my existing Catalina will boot with it? If I don't put any installer on the USB, just the EFI folder, will it give me the option to boot my Catalina installation?

NO. You can use portions of the Clover Config.plist as a template but you need to understand what is inside, you need to start from scratch, with the OFFICIAL Opencore Guide, download Python, Propertree, and Create your needed SSDTs either premade, or using SSDTTIME, or from scratch. Gather your kexts, the newest versions from Opencore Kext build page, use the sample plist inside the open core package(remember a Sample is just that, a Sample not a workable EFI without modifications), the current version is 0.9.6 and compare the proper base EFI off of Gabriel Luchina's repository for your 270 chipset, note, you are right on the cliff for Ventura, but Catalina will be just great if you wish to stay that far behind. Finally, you need to use Hackintool or USBtoolbox to map your USB's properly, better in Windows, before starting, than trying to do it in the MacOs. You would be better with a dedicated video card like an RX 560 that is natively supported without a boot argument or higher than staying with onboard Intel video. Base EFI's are not premade EFI's and they require many adjustments for each board under a chipset. STAY AWAY FROM PREMADE EFI'S! Converting a clover EFI is not easy so reading the Guides to understand is the best direction. There are tools that will make Opencore Efi's but I would not recommend their use. (you may reuse your serials but you may need to change your Smbios if so it would be better to regenerate)

NO. You can use portions of the Clover Config.plist as a template but you need to understand what is inside, you need to start from scratch, with the OFFICIAL Opencore Guide, download Python, Propertree, and Create your needed SSDTs either premade, or using SSDTTIME, or from scratch. Gather your kexts, the newest versions from Opencore Kext build page, use the sample plist inside the open core package(remember a Sample is just that, a Sample not a workable EFI without modifications), the current version is 0.9.6 and compare the proper base EFI off of Gabriel Luchina's repository for your 270 chipset, note, you are right on the cliff for Ventura, but Catalina will be just great if you wish to stay that far behind. Finally, you need to use Hackintool or USBtoolbox to map your USB's properly, better in Windows, before starting, than trying to do it in the MacOs. You would be better with a dedicated video card like an RX 560 that is natively supported without a boot argument or higher than staying with onboard Intel video. Base EFI's are not premade EFI's and they require many adjustments for each board under a chipset. STAY AWAY FROM PREMADE EFI'S! Converting a clover EFI is not easy so reading the Guides to understand is the best direction. There are tools that will make Opencore Efi's but I would not recommend their use. (you may reuse your serials but you may need to change your Smbios if so it would be better to regenerate)
Ok. I think I need to think about this and see how married I am to my Catalina installation. Right now it's on a 256GB SSD and I have a 512GB SSD I wanted to upgrade to. Maybe it's better to just start with a fresh install of MacOS with OC from the start. I've got a lot of reading to do in the meantime to get up to speed on OC.

Suggestions for you to try:
  1. Check in your systems BIOS to ensure the Intel i217-LM Ethernet controller is switched on/enabled.
  2. Make sure that you have IntelMausi.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and enabled in your config.plist.
  3. Check the System Preferences > Network pane, see if an Ethernet (en0) is present.
    1. If not see if you can add the Ethernet (en0) interface/service to the network pane.
    2. The '+' button at the bottom of the network device/interface list will provide a popup window that allows you to add missing devices. Just don't duplicate any existing devices.
    3. You may need to click the padlock icon and enter your password before being able to add a network interface/device.
I realized I was using a .DMG to run OCAT and it would automatically update to the latest version of OC which seemed to cause the incompatibility... When I saved the config.plist, it switched it to the later version which was apparently incompatible with the EFI I was using.

Back