Contribute
Register

Be careful Sonoma 14.1.2 update bricked my ASUS motherboard

I successfully upgraded to 14.1.2 yesterday. Just sound didn't work on my Z490 Gigabyte board.

Good luck.
Thanks. It doesn’t seem to affect all hackintosh updates. I’ve also seen posts from real Mac users saying their computer bricked during the update as well. I figured I’d post as a warning that it is possible. Seems rare though.

When I was looking into the issue, I saw a lot of posts of real macs bricking when updating. I’m not sure it’s only a hackintosh thing.
Of course it is not! I was not joking

I don't know if it can help
bios rom

have you tried to reflash the bios? My MSI motherboard has a way of flashing without a CPU being present...

have you tried to reflash the bios? My MSI motherboard has a way of flashing without a CPU being present...
Yeah, ASUS mobos have that capability as well, either with a USB or disc. I wasn't able to get it to work.

So you are still getting no life whatsoever out of the motherboard? No CPU fan, no beeps, nothing? Removed everything except the CPU and still no power? Tried a different PSU?

Last edited:
So you are still getting no life whatsoever out of the motherboard? No CPU fan, no beeps, nothing? Removed everything except the CPU and still no power? Tried a different PSU?
The mobo's RGB lights light up. I highly doubt it's the PSU. It literally happened during the update from 14.1.1 to 14.1.2. I was sitting at the computer watching the update. The update caused a restart and it never turned back on.

maybe bad memory and just coincidence that it died during the restart?

maybe bad memory and just coincidence that it died during the restart
I can confirm it was the mobo. I replaced the mobo and all of the other components work. Something about that update bricked my mobo.

Back