i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
WiFi and Bluetooth upgrade to ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming.

Background see:

El Capitan instation guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...gaming-w-i7-6700t-35w-gtx-760-sm951-ahci.html

Also more reading here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/others/173534-neilharts-q4-z170-project-os-x.html

The ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard arrives with a non-compatible WiFi module installed in the “WiFi GO!” module as seen in the photos found in post #13 of the second link above.

The Up-Grade:

The form is m.2 with a single key slot and purchased a BCM94352Z WiFi/BT module from G.I.F.T.S LLC. on Amazon Marketplace (located in VA) for $44 with shipping.

Swapping the m.2 modules does require access to the back side of the motherboard as the ASUS “WIFI GO” module is secured to the MB with two small phillips screws.

The module:

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

Swapping bits around:

W3.jpg

W4.jpg

And not shown is a small foam spacer between the radio card and the far inside surface of the module:

W5.jpg

This bit of work does take some care and effort with a good set of tweezer to form the antenna cables and make the ufl connector attachments.

Then once the system is all back together, software needs to be added to get WiFi and BT up and happy.

As a base line I updated the system to El Capitan 10.11.4 and all updates.

I pulled over a copy of KextBeast from the downloads page.

I downloaded the latest version RehabMan’s FakePCIID zipped set of titles.

Used KextBeast to move the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broarcom_WiFi.kext to S/L/E. That gets WiFi up and working.

Then after a lot of reading and a few false starts, using KextBeast, I moved copies of BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext to S/L/E. (found these files in post # 601 of: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...e-into-broadcom-bluetooth-usb-devices-61.html ).

So after a reboot, I found that my system can see my iPhone but they have issues pairing. However I do have my Kensington BT mouse paired and it works very well.

System Reports:

W6.jpg

W7.jpg

As I am no expert with WiFi and BT functions, you should not ask about details not covered here. I see that there are many posts on these and related subjects which should keep anyone busy for some time.

Good modding,
neil

Also I am attaching my Clover config.plist for those that might want it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
So after a reboot, I found that my system can see my iPhone but they have issues pairing.

The iPhone is not intended to be paired. You find the same on a real Apple Mac.

Well I can not say about that card.

The one that I purchased was a BCM94352Z WiFi/BT module from G.I.F.T.S LLC. on Amazon Marketplace (located in VA) for $44 with shipping.

Good modding,
neil

Ok, thanks Neil

Card on my hack not see 5Ghz networks. Аny ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back