CPU
i7-8550U Kaby Lake R
Graphics
HD620(1920x1080)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi! I'm having trouble getting bluetooth up on a BCM94352Z card on a dell XPS-9360 ("fresh" install, 10.13.2, spectre patch applied only today). I used Bozma's amazing Sierra guide as a reference but ended up using @the-darkvoid's equally great configuration files for High Sierra, which worked with really minimal tweaks (great for novice like me!). And of course many many of Rehabman's superb guides.

However, bluetooth via BrcmPatchRAM2 + Repo isn't working for me. I've tried the-darkvoids' (xps9360-macos>>kexts) and the 2 latest versions from Rehabman.

After installing the kexts in /L/E, kextcache -i, and booting verbose, I'm greeted with kextd stall[0], (60s) 'bcm20702a0'; the system counts to [3] and eventually lets me in. I see the device in system profiler, ioreg, etc and Brcm kexts are apparently loaded. But the USB webcam—which was working before—will disappear.

When I restart, no stalling, the webcam comes back, but the bcm20702a0 device no longer appears under USB devices in profiler. To get it back, I have to uninstall the kexts, clear cache, boot into bios, disable wireless>> bluetooth, reboot, bios and re-enable. This lets me boot smoothly into a working system. If I leave the kexts, I get back the same stalling behavior on boot.

These observation are pretty reproducible so I'm quite sure it's because I've configured something in error. Posting because I haven't quite found a post that has same symptoms (search on: kextd stall[0], bcm20702a0). Bluetooth was working on the Win10 that came installed. Wifi is working beautifully on MacOS [but ironically was broken on win].

Problem reporting files are attached (for each of the system states described above) for anyone willing to take a look.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• debug_6935_bios_disable_enable.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • debug_12523_postkextinstall.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • debug_23424_subsequent_boot.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
Hi! I'm having trouble getting bluetooth up on a BCM94352Z card on a dell XPS-9360 ("fresh" install, 10.13.2, spectre patch applied only today). I used Bozma's amazing Sierra guide as a reference but ended up using @the-darkvoid's equally great configuration files for High Sierra, which worked with really minimal tweaks (great for novice like me!). And of course many many of Rehabman's superb guides.

However, bluetooth via BrcmPatchRAM2 + Repo isn't working for me. I've tried the-darkvoids' (xps9360-macos>>kexts) and the 2 latest versions from Rehabman.

After installing the kexts in /L/E, kextcache -i, and booting verbose, I'm greeted with kextd stall[0], (60s) 'bcm20702a0'; the system counts to [3] and eventually lets me in. I see the device in system profiler, ioreg, etc and Brcm kexts are apparently loaded. But the USB webcam—which was working before—will disappear.

When I restart, no stalling, the webcam comes back, but the bcm20702a0 device no longer appears under USB devices in profiler. To get it back, I have to uninstall the kexts, clear cache, boot into bios, disable wireless>> bluetooth, reboot, bios and re-enable. This lets me boot smoothly into a working system. If I leave the kexts, I get back the same stalling behavior on boot.

These observation are pretty reproducible so I'm quite sure it's because I've configured something in error. Posting because I haven't quite found a post that has same symptoms (search on: kextd stall[0], bcm20702a0). Bluetooth was working on the Win10 that came installed. Wifi is working beautifully on MacOS [but ironically was broken on win].

Problem reporting files are attached (for each of the system states described above) for anyone willing to take a look.

Thanks so much!

Make sure Fast Boot is disabled in BIOS.

Also, all kexts should be installed to system volume (/Library/Extensions).

Thanks so much!

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

@the-braveknight, @RehabMan, thank you for your quick replies.

Previously, the brcm kexts were installed in /L/E but not others. I've since moved everything to /L/E, as suggested. Audio broke, but seems to be back with LiluFriend.

Fastboot has been disabled in BIOS throughout (FASTBOOT:thorough — Sets POST to perform complete hardware and configuration testing; no "disabled" option per se)

Still no luck with BT though. Attaching reporting files for 1st boot after installing ("first"; still stalling during start up; no BT) and subsequent boot ("next"; no stalling; no BT).

Thanks!

Attachments

• debug_28383_first.zip
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • debug_30588_next.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
@the-braveknight, @RehabMan, thank you for your quick replies.

Previously, the brcm kexts were installed in /L/E but not others. I've since moved everything to /L/E, as suggested. Audio broke, but seems to be back with LiluFriend.

Fastboot has been disabled in BIOS throughout (FASTBOOT:thorough — Sets POST to perform complete hardware and configuration testing; no "disabled" option per se)

Still no luck with BT though. Attaching reporting files for 1st boot after installing ("first"; still stalling during start up; no BT) and subsequent boot ("next"; no stalling; no BT).

Thanks!

Why are you using an AppleHDA injector (AppleHDA_ALC256.kext) *and* AppleALC.kext.
Those two solutions are mutually exclusive.

Note problem likely causing problems with kernel cache:
Code:
"org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors" }
ACPISensors.kext - no compatible dependency found for org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC.
ACPISensors.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

Don't mix versions of FakeSMC.kext/FakeSMC sensor kexts.

Why are you using an AppleHDA injector (AppleHDA_ALC256.kext) *and* AppleALC.kext.
Those two solutions are mutually exclusive.

Whoops. Sorry! No good reason, just ignorance. Deleted AppleALC.kext

Don't mix versions of FakeSMC.kext/FakeSMC sensor kexts.

This wasn't deliberate. I didn't have separate sensor kexts installed so I'm assuming they are the ones contained in FakeSMC.kext? In any case, replaced with your latest release build and no longer see this warning.

Still having the same problem once I install the brcm kexts. (kextd stall[0], (60s) 'bcm20702a0').

Thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• debug.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 82
Whoops. Sorry! No good reason, just ignorance. Deleted AppleALC.kext

This wasn't deliberate. I didn't have separate sensor kexts installed so I'm assuming they are the ones contained in FakeSMC.kext? In any case, replaced with your latest release build and no longer see this warning.

Still having the same problem once I install the brcm kexts. (kextd stall[0], (60s) 'bcm20702a0').

Thanks for your patience!

Looks like some sort of incompatibility with the specific BT controller you have.
You might try different (older) versions of BrcmPatchRAM kexts to see if some recent change made a difference.
Or try a WiFi/BT card with a different BT controller.

Looks like some sort of incompatibility with the specific BT controller you have.
You might try different (older) versions of BrcmPatchRAM kexts to see if some recent change made a difference.
Or try a WiFi/BT card with a different BT controller.

Ok thanks! I'll give the older kexts a shot and report back. Don't have a spare bluetooth card lying around so that might take some time.

I might have made some small progress but I'm running into a different error now.

On re-reading your BrcmPatch notes in light of your comments, I thought I should dig in /S/L/E/ IOBluetoothFamily.kext. Eventually I got to ./Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext and find that in Info.plist, no IOKitPersonality exists that matches my idProduct(8559) and idVendor(2652). So I edit those fields in BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.

Now BrcmPatch loads reliably with every boot and I can see info under System Profiler >> Bluetooth. But I get this error: kernel: (BrcmPatchRAM2) BrcmPatchRAM2: uploadFirmware could not open the device (kernel log attached)! Unsurprisingly, System Profiler reads Firmware Version as 4096 ("v14 c4096").

Any other ideas? I'm going to try earlier versions of BrcmPatchRam2 now, and will report back.

UPDATE: tried the 2015-1001 build. Same issue. PR Files attached from this configuration.

Attachments

• log_brcm.txt
    7 KB · Views: 325
  • debug_7938.zip
    2 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I might have made some small progress but I'm running into a different error now.

On re-reading your BrcmPatch notes in light of your comments, I thought I should dig in /S/L/E/ IOBluetoothFamily.kext. Eventually I got to ./Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext and find that in Info.plist, no IOKitPersonality exists that matches my idProduct(8559) and idVendor(2652). So I edit those fields in BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.

Now BrcmPatch loads reliably with every boot and I can see info under System Profiler >> Bluetooth. But I get this error: kernel: (BrcmPatchRAM2) BrcmPatchRAM2: uploadFirmware could not open the device (kernel log attached)! Unsurprisingly, System Profiler reads Firmware Version as 4096 ("v14 c4096").

Any other ideas? I'm going to try earlier versions of BrcmPatchRam2 now, and will report back.

UPDATE: tried the 2015-1001 build. Same issue. PR Files attached from this configuration.

BrcmPatchRAM add the IOKitPersonality automatically and on-the-fly.
You should not edit IOBluetoothFamily kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back