Graphics
GTX 650 Ti Boost
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I'm running a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L and was looking for a new graphics card to play Starcraft 2 in a detail level higher than the bare minimum (I hear all your sighs but at least I'm being honest).

I like picking up stuff that'll be minimal fuss so I figured the Gigabyte 5770 Batmobile card would work out nicely (assuming that it'll work with the board and seems wildly popular amongst the Hackintosh crowd). Only problem is Amazon canceled my order since they couldn't supply it. I ordered it from another retailer on ebay and they wrote me back saying I'd receive an alternative 5770 card instead since they were out of the Batmobile... which obviously was not okay. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

What the heck do I buy that'll be trouble-free, low/no noise, and let me play this game where I'm actually impressed by the graphics?

I was about to buy one used on eBay, but this video changed my mind. Listen to that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Nb9w45UwY
Not really :silent: , is it?

Sadly, Gigabyte's Silent Cell won't work, so I don't really know.
I'd like an AMD low to mid-range passive card working OOB for HTPC use (with DTS HD MA over HDMI in Windows). Searching for days, but not sure yet. You should check HD 6000 supported since 10.6.8 update. Be careful not to pick a custom PCB like Silent Cell's…

Wow, that sucks (or blows?). I got impatient and picked up the Sapphire 100283-3L from a local shop earlier today. Runs fine on the Windows side, fan is quiet, and now I can play SC2 in "Extreme" mode. :D

I gotta back up the OSX side before I even attempt getting all that jazz to work.

Also, FYI, the ebay seller "imicros" no longer has the Batmobile in stock despite what their ebay listing says. I tried going down that path and they contacted me saying they were going to ship a different Gigabyte 5770 card instead (which I was not cool with).

So your looking to play sc2 on mac side? ever thought your CPU is the bottleneck here. I use a 5770 and can play wow, heroes of newerth and starcraft with high details and not have a problem. Also it could be your setup, things such as DSDT and using various kexts like the nullcpupowermanagement.kext have made a big difference for me.

Cavej03 said:
So your looking to play sc2 on mac side? ever thought your CPU is the bottleneck here.

Prior to the 5770 (was using a 3yr old low end card previously), the game only ran at the lowest detail level in Win7. Never even bothered trying in OSX. It's now running in "Extreme" with the Sapphire 5770 card (even with my Q6600).

MacMan said:

Awesome! I'll keep this in mind, but note that I'm running an older board and the PCI-E slot isn't rated at 2.x. Seems like getting a 2.1 card would be a gamble and potentially complicate things when I try to get my OSX partition running with the new card. I'll back things up and give it a shot sometime this week.

phatsweep said:
Awesome! I'll keep this in mind, but note that I'm running an older board and the PCI-E slot isn't rated at 2.x. Seems like getting a 2.1 card would be a gamble and potentially complicate things when I try to get my OSX partition running with the new card. I'll back things up and give it a shot sometime this week.
2.1 is backward compatible. No problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back