Nvidia 640 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, I am finally going to put my build into an amended Mac Pro case. Do you think this will work? I browsed the threads, some mentioned this CPU, but I also saw some issues/problems with it.

MB: Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 (plan to buy i7 in the future)
RAM: Corsair 2+2GB XMS3 1333 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 640 or 650 Ti (haven'd decided yet, I plan to buy a real stronger GPU in the future)
PSU: Dell J556t 875W (psu can be found at the alienware pcs)

Hi Anathos,

That CPU is fine to use, its a reasonably quick processor for simple stuff. I run one in my Hack which I got running today, I have had some odd teething problems, but it is running fine now bar a couple of minor tweaks.

I am using 2 x 2 gig Crucial 1600Hhz memory to get me up and running - its seen as 1300Mhz in the bios as that is the maximum speed the CPU will accept. I will fit an i5 in time, before changing the memory to 2 x 8 gig.

I recommend using a SSD as the boot drive, it makes a huge difference to the overall speed.

Your motherboard choice is being discontinued - Newegg have run out I believe, although Amazon still have stock.

I am going to put my rig in an old G3 case - project for the coming months, with the addition of a further HDD for storage, wifi and PSU and power switch modifications still to come. In the mean time its running in an old PC case.

Good luck and enjoy.

Here is another G2020 build: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ntium-g2020-h77n-wifi-asus-gt610-fanless.html

Thanks for the quick response. :) Well I have already bought the motherboard. I bought it because of the tonymac buying tip. As I just like to update/have fun with electronics, I will buy basic components now so that I can continually update. Also plan to add watercooling in the future. Its for my spare time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back