MSI B150M
CPU
Intel i7 6700
Graphics
Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,
I recently complete the installation of High Sierra on my pc and everythings works perfectly. I have only one issue;
I made some test with Geekbench: GPU in OpenCL mades 67000 scores in Mac and 86000 on windows (with the same video card) ...why this different results?
( I see from benchmarks results that that my video card reach a maximum of 1.16 Mhz in MAC)

1. The shown GHz GPU clock is read from bios, not live measured = is an fixed value ( even it would run in idle mode!)
2. Windows gpu bench values are always/ mostly better. Doesnt matter Cinebench or Geekbench. You only can compare win-win or OSx-Osx bench results since many years and i think the gap (in speed) will never be closer in the future.
3. If you compare your Geekbench OpenCL result with other OS X!! geekbench result you will see your Pascal GPU works good!

1. The shown GHz GPU clock is read from bios, not live measured = is an fixed value ( even it would run in idle mode!)
2. Windows gpu bench values are always/ mostly better. Doesnt matter Cinebench or Geekbench. You only can compare win-win or OSx-Osx bench results since many years and i think the gap (in speed) will never be closer in the future.
3. If you compare your Geekbench OpenCL result with other OS X!! geekbench result you will see your Pascal GPU works good!
Ok thanks for clearing my dubts. So using for example an equal video editing software or a game in the same condition Windows always obtain a better performance?

Game yes, because Vendors of Game (& GPU) did much more for speed optimisation than Devs & GPU Vendors for OS X.
Because they get much, much more money for their windows apps & GPUs from windows users than OS X users.
Video editing may a bit more different - here at least the Devs for the video apps lloking also for speed. But they can NOT speed up the GPU drivers (which come from Apple & Nvidia).
last but not least - gpu accelleration for DTP/Video has much more4 devs on windows side as for OS X. For example CUDA is there very long & often used, beside OpenCL. For OS X the devs cant use CUDA mostly,because of the absence of NVidia GPUs on newer Apple "PC"s. So they use mostls that was Apple give them - some APIs for gpu compute (pic & video) and not use third party drivers like CUDA. Even OpenCL is much less used in OS X apps. Apple started (founded togehter with others) OpenCL , was an hype but since a few years stopped dev OpenCL drivers further and didnt use OpenCL much (as the devs for their apps).
Now & in future they want taht devs use Metal/Metal2 for such video/image/gpu compute tasks. (Metal has not only such things like OpenGL, it has also gpu compute features as CUDA/OpenCL).
BUT!!!
Because Metal/Metal2 is OS X only, it is an island and i think it will be never so often used as CUDA/OpenCL from devs beside Apple itself. For games sure (Apple games only!!!) but not for all other stuff.

Game yes, because Vendors of Game (& GPU) did much more for speed optimisation than Devs & GPU Vendors for OS X.
Because they get much, much more money for their windows apps & GPUs from windows users than OS X users.
Video editing may a bit more different - here at least the Devs for the video apps lloking also for speed. But they can NOT speed up the GPU drivers (which come from Apple & Nvidia).
last but not least - gpu accelleration for DTP/Video has much more4 devs on windows side as for OS X. For example CUDA is there very long & often used, beside OpenCL. For OS X the devs cant use CUDA mostly,because of the absence of NVidia GPUs on newer Apple "PC"s. So they use mostls that was Apple give them - some APIs for gpu compute (pic & video) and not use third party drivers like CUDA. Even OpenCL is much less used in OS X apps. Apple started (founded togehter with others) OpenCL , was an hype but since a few years stopped dev OpenCL drivers further and didnt use OpenCL much (as the devs for their apps).
Now & in future they want taht devs use Metal/Metal2 for such video/image/gpu compute tasks. (Metal has not only such things like OpenGL, it has also gpu compute features as CUDA/OpenCL).
BUT!!!
Because Metal/Metal2 is OS X only, it is an island and i think it will be never so often used as CUDA/OpenCL from devs beside Apple itself. For games sure (Apple games only!!!) but not for all other stuff.
Perfect ! Very clear explanation thank you!! At least GPU, CPU and others performance Can be influenced by smbios selected version? Forse example now i selected iMac 17,1. ( But i saw that you Can select Mac Pro, macbook ecc). Theres an optimal choice depending on your hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back