Graphics
nVidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm hoping someone with more brains than I have can answer this question. I've built a CustoMac but the machine is running abnormally slow. I ran some benchmark tests just to see, but first here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4930K (6 core) with Corsair H60 cooler
Mother Board: GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F5
Graphics: GeForce GTX 680 (2GB)
Ram: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LP
HD: SSD 840 EVO 500 GB
PSU: Corsair AX 760 Watt Modular
Case: Corsair 600T
Apple USB keyboard and mouse

I couldn't get Mavericks to run well enough to do much with it, so I loaded Linux (Ubuntu) so I could test the hardware. It seems the chip is reporting back that all 6 cores are running at 3.4 GHz via both UEFI-BIOS and the system tools. But the benchmarks are showing a different story (benchmarks in parenthesis):

CPU Blowfish: 1200 MHz (1.005)
CPU Fibonacci: 1200 MHZ (1.316)
CPU N-Queens: 1200 MHz (0.407)
FPU FET: 1200 Mhz (0.725)
FPU Raytracing: 1200 MHz (2.822)

Am I reading this right? The chip is only running at 1.2 GHz? That's slower than a Celeron-M 1.5 GHz. So to put this in perspective, according this source their benchmark for the Celeron is 347 but the i7-4930K should be 13,229!

So do you think it's a bad CPU or a bad motherboard? Or is there something else going on here? I mean the computer runs, albeit very, very slowly. So it's not like a total failed chip.

Any help, perspective, advice would be appreciated.

Just in case anyone else is having similar problems here's an update.

I had the thought to update the BIOS from F5 to F7. It seems to be an improvement as the benchmark speeds are now showing 3.7 GHz. I'll do more testing, but this is encouraging. :thumbup: So it looks like the hardware was fine, just the BIOS was screwed.

If that solution worked fully then... GOOD JOB! :lol:
However, I suggest not updating or flashing your BIOS too much as it could cause it to malfunction. You don't want to screw it up PERMANENTLY.
Better safe than sorry!

Yes, I agree. I was hesitant to do that at first and only took the plunge as a last resort. I had nothing to lose and it worked out. For others in a similar situation I'd recommend proceed with caution. Anyway, my system is running well now. Whew! I was worried that I'd have to fork out more cash for a replacement CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back