Custom
CPU
i920
Graphics
ATI 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
I'm building a hackintosh for some friends and was looking for a method to create a simple bootable master disk. So, if anything goes wrong they can restore their system to my original configuration. They're not computer illiterate but they probably wouldn't be able to reinstall OSX without very specific instructions.

Now, my original idea was to give them a flash drive w/ 10.8 installer and a .dmg of their drive made with DiskUtil. So if they every needed it it would be relatively easy to install. However, I went to test this solution and I could not get it to properly restore the image. At, first I thought it was because the image file was on the USB stick because it wouldn't even "verify" the image. Just say something like it's currently in use.

When I tried from an external hard drive it got further and started the restore process. However, it failed at the end and produced a vague error message stating something about invalid command line arguments. The drive had the correct partition names so it definitely started the process. This might have something to do with the hard drive having 4k sections and disk util not properly supporting it?

So, Does anybody know any alternate solutions or how I could do this via command line to at least figure out more details on the error message? I'd prefer to be able to make a bootable CD or USB stick that is essentially 100% automated. Just ask them are you sure you want to erase the drive sorta thing.

Thanks
Eric

Carbon Copy Cloner http://www.bombich.com/ I run a nightly CCC task that clones my entire boot drive. That way if anything can happen, like forgetting to run multibeast after an OS update, I have a freshly cloned boot drive right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back