na
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Wanted to know some backup questions

1 - Is Time Machine reliable & safe with a hackintosh using my install of ati experimental boot option non dstsl? (will it also safe a hosed next version update, say to 10.6.7 for example?)

2 - what other backup software (free or open source) that I can use instead or also to just back up important files, not just a complete image or sector/byte 1:1 copy?

Thanks

puppetj said:
Wanted to know some backup questions

1 - Is Time Machine reliable & safe with a hackintosh using my install of ati experimental boot option non dstsl? (will it also safe a hosed next version update, say to 10.6.7 for example?)

2 - what other backup software (free or open source) that I can use instead or also to just back up important files, not just a complete image or sector/byte 1:1 copy?

Thanks

I doubt an OS update will hose your backups, no. There are many other backup solutions out there, I'd google.

Sorry, I meant updates can hose your system, that why I asked about backing, but cant google this, thats why Im asking here...but this is osx86 related..as in what works backup software wise with my setup? of the stuff I asked

puppetj said:
Sorry, I meant updates can hose your system, that why I asked about backing, but cant google this, thats why Im asking here...but this is osx86 related..as in what works backup software wise with my setup? of the stuff I asked

Any backup software will work the same as it does on a real Mac, with the exception of backing up the bootloader. If you back up your whole disk and want it bootable, you have to install Chameleon on the backup manually as backup software won't copy it to the boot sector of the new drive.

There are many software available on the internet for the get the backup.But i prefer the onlne backup software for the get secure backup.It helps in the get all the data of the compter on the intrnet.Store the data in more space.

I use carbon copy.
You do need to run I boot again to boot and once you run multibrast... you won't need iboot anymore.

I use Time Machine on a dedicated 1T hard drive for daily automated backups, and once per week I take a snapshot of the entire system with Carbon Copy Cloner onto an external USB HDD. Work files are stored on Dropbox, and those files are backed up twice per day to a local Buffalo NAS set up for RAID1. The Buffalo is backed up nightly using rsync to a Linux server on the west coast.

I'm a little nutty about backups.

As long as your machine boots up, Time Machine should work just fine. Take a CCC snapshot any time you are changing something on the system...update, new drivers, and so on, and you'll be covered. The CCC backup will boot if you ever run into trouble.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back