Graphics
hd3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm running a m4 256GB in the main bay and a 300GB HDD in the optibay. I set the HDD as my Time Machine's backup destination. I just started my first backup and it's quoting a seriously long time to complete. I've done a similarly sized backup to my external HDD using this same internal HDD, but in the main bay, and it only took an hour+ . What gives?

Attachments

• backupLag.png
    backupLag.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 149
I'm running a m4 256GB in the main bay and a 300GB HDD in the optibay. I set the HDD as my Time Machine's backup destination. I just started my first backup and it's quoting a seriously long time to complete. I've done a similarly sized backup to my external HDD using this same internal HDD, but in the main bay, and it only took an hour+ . What gives?

How long does it really take?
Did you try Black Magic speed test to test the HDD?
If that drive is slow, perhaps try a different one... could be HDD model specific. Could be bad HDD too...

black magic says it reads and writes at about 85MBps.

black magic says it reads and writes at about 85MBps.

So, that's fine... not a hardware/driver problem. Back to first question... how long does it really take?

I haven't let it finish, The time remaining inched up to a day or so after letting it run for about half an hour so I just cancelled it. I followed this http://icomputerdenver.com/ssd-optimization-for-mac-os/ to relocate user folder to HDD as well as prevent hibernation for the SSD. Would this affect things? Those are the only two tweaks I made from the aforementioned guide.

Very strange, I just started again, (third attempt) to answer your question about how long it actually takes, and this is what it's reporting now. :S In dunno....weird.

Attachments

• backup.png
    backup.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 146
I haven't let it finish, The time remaining inched up to a day or so after letting it run for about half an hour so I just cancelled it. I followed this http://icomputerdenver.com/ssd-optimization-for-mac-os/ to relocate user folder to HDD as well as prevent hibernation for the SSD. Would this affect things? Those are the only two tweaks I made from the aforementioned guide.

Is your SSD super small, that you felt you needed to relocate user files???
I'm hearing bad things about relocating user files, so I would avoid it unless you really feel it necessary.

My reasoning for relocating user files was to reduce reads and writes to SSD (lengthen lifespan), because sometimes I read and write up to 20GB/day. I followed the above guide and haven't experienced any issues aside from this thread's subject, but all seems to be magically working now. I was running illustrator and VLC while trying to backup last night, they may have been why it was moving so slow?

My reasoning for relocating user files was to reduce reads and writes to SSD (lengthen lifespan), because sometimes I read and write up to 20GB/day.

I just use the separate device explicitly and add folders to the side-bar to make them easy to access in finder.

I followed the above guide and haven't experienced any issues aside from this thread's subject, but all seems to be magically working now. I was running illustrator and VLC while trying to backup last night, they may have been why it was moving so slow?

Could be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back