Contribute
Register

August 2015 Ultimate Video Editing Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have dual graphics cards working obo with both working together or seperatly to run a ton of monitors. It is my understanding that hackintoshs can't run dual graphics cards like PC can with SLI. Advice on this would be HUGE for me. I currently have a GTX670 and FCPX crashes a bunch working with 4K. I either need to bite the bullet and go with a mac pro or get this thing working.

I have:
gigabyte X79 UD3
32GB RAM
GTX 670
3x 7200 RAID0

You have dual graphics cards working obo with both working together or seperatly to run a ton of monitors. It is my understanding that hackintoshs can't run dual graphics cards like PC can with SLI. Advice on this would be HUGE for me. I currently have a GTX670 and FCPX crashes a bunch working with 4K. I either need to bite the bullet and go with a mac pro or get this thing working.

I have:
gigabyte X79 UD3
32GB RAM
GTX 670
3x 7200 RAID0

Neither SLI nor Crossfire works on a Mac. I have my dual 280X in SLI (or is it Crossfire on AMD, I never know) mode just for when I boot into Windows.

All that SLI/Crossfire does is provide a connector across the graphics card buses that Windows will take advantage of. OS X will simply ignore the fact they are in Crossfire/SLI mode, so having that connector makes no difference.

FCP X can handle multiple, identical GPU's. This is NOT due to Crossfire/SLI but due to the way FCPX is architected. Thats a specific feature of FCPX. Other programs may also be able to do this, but I cannot comment as I don't know. I believe that Adobe Premiere, Photoshop can also take advantage of multiple GPU's but you need to check this personally as I do not use them at all.

I also do not use 4K on FCPX as I have no need. I'd suspect that the AMD cards is better than the nVidia cards simply because FCPX is clearly optimised to take advantage of the AMD GPU architecture. I can state that with certainly as dual 5770 AMD cards from 5-6 years ago are still blazingly fast.

I have no issues with multiple monitors, my limitation is physical desk space. If I had the space, I'd have another HD monitor for development, I suspect I could drive three monitors from each card with no issues (apart from desk space and money).

If you use FCP X a lot then my advice is get an AMD GPU as its normally much better and much faster. If you send me an FCPX file at 4K I'll render it for you and time it. Thats assumes its a sensible download :)

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back