Graphics
nVidia Geforce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is the ASUS P8H61-I essentially the same board as yours in a Micro ITX form factor? I'm trying to put together a little media center HTPC as well.

Re: P8H61-M build -- 8111E new revision?

Looks like it. The only differences I can see (aside from the side effects of a smaller size) are that the P8H61-I has USB3.0 support, which may or may not work in OSX depending on which chipset is used, and a VIA audio chipset instead of the -M's ALC887. The Sandy Bridge processors are speedy and stay cool, so I would highly recommend the board if you need the tiny form factor.

There's a lot of system kexts reporting device ID mismatches, but I haven't tweaked the DSDT at all yet so that's probably something that can be fixed easily and everything seems to be functioning fine right now except for the lnx2mac drivers (which I've replaced temporarily with the Realtek ones) and AppleHDA support for native audio. VoodooHDA is working fine in the interim and I'm working on writing an injector for AppleHDA in the meantime (easy to do, but time-consuming).
Also, the Intel integrated video support is still in its infancy so if I were you I'd drop $50 on a Radeon 5450, 5570 or similar low-profile card with confirmed-working QE/CI, especially if you want audio over HDMI.

Is the VIA audio chipset a problem if I intend to use a GPU with audio over HDMI?

Also, I was looking at the GT 430, will this do audio via HDMI with the current hackintosh methods?

Though, now that I'm looking into it, the cards you posted are a lot cheaper, and I'm trying to cut costs as much as I can to get a sub-$500 Hackintosh HTPC.

HIS Radeon HD 5570 1GB - $65

PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 512MB - $40

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 1GB - $35 with MIR

Will both of these cards do audio over HDMI? Can you provide a link to where I might be able to find this information so that I don't bug you/others? ;) Edit: Found THIS.

In fact, do you mind posting your entire media center build? Edit: It's in your sig, I'm an idiot.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Sorry for going off-topic here guys; CCraigen if you'd like, we can discuss this through PM.

Ooo. That ALC887 kext could save me some time. Testing now...

As for HDMI audio, I just built the machine on Sunday afternoon and have only been messing with the DSDT since yesterday. Since I originally got the silent variant of the 5670 and it wouldn't fit in my case, I had to go switch it on Monday and didn't want the swap messing up my DSDT). The HDMI edits are in place, I think all I have left is to re-enable the latest AppleHDA. I'll update when I've got some time to test a few more things. Gimme 2 hours and I'll get back to you.

Ok, so 2 hours blew up into about 10, but I got the HDMI audio working on the Radeon HD 5670! Default framebuffer, too :D

The DSDT on this board doesn't play nice with the generic HDMI audio DSDT fix that's listed all over the place. New instructions for this board and graphics card combination:

NOTE: This may actually fix the problem for anyone who has not been able to get the generic method working. The normal method can lead to duplicate (and thus ignored) devices in the DSDT if you are not careful, thus the failure.

Improved and simplified generic method:
1. Get gfxutil and use "gfxutil -f display" to find the address of the card.
2. Translate to DSDT-speak. (The bolded number may vary, that's the point)
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
becomes
(_ADR, 0x00010000)
3. Extract your DSDT and search for the translated address string. There should be either a PEGP, P0P, PEX, or similarly-named device that has that address.
4. Do the modifications listed below

Find this in the DSDT (in my case, P0P1 had that address):
Code:
 Device (P0P1)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
                }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (PICM)
                    {
                        Return (AR01)
                    }

Return (PR01)
                }
            }

and turn it into this:
Code:
 Device (P0P1)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)[/b]
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
                }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (PICM)
                    {
                        Return (AR01)
                    }

Return (PR01)
                }

// COPY/PASTE BEGINS HERE

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

// COPY/PASTE ENDS HERE
            }

Still haven't had a chance to try the new Realtek injector out. Will give that one a go later. Gotta fix the Windows 7 side first, I checked off a box I shouldn't have and appear to have perma-broke HDMI in that OS. Every time I connect the cable the machine locks up and blackscreens. Oh well, it's Windows.

thanks for the reply ill try it later as bit busy at moment
fingers crossed

Hey CCraigen.

I want to buy the sapphire 5670 1gb also. Could you please tell me the exact version that you have, so I could buy the same thing just in case.

And do you have all ports working? (DVIm VGA, HDMI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back