i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Here's a little trick I've just found to avoid noise, if you connect one of your integrated outputs to an amplifier.
It might only work in specific cases, but here it is anyway.

My issue was that after 15 to 30s of inactivity a buzz would rise in my speakers (nothing on headphones) and stopped (with a cracking sound) when I clicked anywhere in a window or typing on the keyboard! And it was worse when connecting the audio with a long cable... None of the tricks I've read were working (changing Sys Def, etc.)
Probably buying a ground loop isolator or ferrite bead could resolve the issue, but in the meantime I analyzed what seems to happen: looks like our AppleHDAs are releasing their grip on the physical outputs after some inactivity (I noticed the issue was already there at startup even before BIOS).
So I used a white noise generator, setting the level as low as possible (I achieved -80 dB), in this way, the audio interface is always fed with audio, so low that you can't hear it and the "disconnection" never happens.
Here's one freeware that does the trick, you just have to add it to your startup items (noise generation autostarts if it was active when you last quit the app)
https://code.google.com/archive/p/noisy/downloads

Of course, if you always have audio running thru your output, this is totally useless. :lol:

I've just had the idea to try antipop, a well known utility preventing electric pops, even on real macs, and it also works for me fixing the buzz issue!!! :clap:
Funnily, I had downloaded it years ago when building my hackintosh but never used it as I was not experiencing proper "pops"... :mrgreen:

I also have this static sound on my Razer speaker connected via Auxillary when there's inactivity of sound from the system. The only way for me to stop it is to play any sound. Interesting though, it does not happen when connected via Bluetooth.

Regardless, this a nice find. I would test this when I get home.
Thanks for sharing.

Being a sound engineer, I'm not surprised you don't get that noise via Bluetooth: those are called "ground loops" because they propagate through wires (originally the same ground wire feeding an amplifier and some other machine, hence "loop" — one savage cure being to cut one of the ground cables to break the loop... I don't advise you to do so! :D)
In our case, it's a bit more complex (bad filtering power supply?) I've read a lot of people happy with ground loop isolators, or often called "Hum Killers" for a few bucks at Amazon. I was about to eventually buy one but now I have only noise when I switch the computer off — which is good, as it recalls me to switch the amp off too! ;)

EDIT: if your speaker is connected to the computer with an audio cable AND USB simultaneously, it's very likely that there is the loop! I have a small Ryght mini-speaker and it's impossible to use it when connected to USB, only running on its battery...

Last edited:
Being a sound engineer, I'm not surprised you don't get that noise via Bluetooth: those are called "ground loops" because they propagate through wires (originally the same ground wire feeding an amplifier and some other machine, hence "loop" — one savage cure being to cut one of the ground cables to break the loop... I don't advise you to do so! :D)
In our case, it's a bit more complex (bad filtering power supply?) I've read a lot of people happy with ground loop isolators, or often called "Hum Killers" for a few bucks at Amazon. I was about to eventually buy one but now I have only noise when I switch the computer off — which is good, as it recalls me to switch the amp off too! ;)

I see, learned something :D.
I have checked the apps from your post but didn't bother to download since they are so outdated. I'm not sure if it will work on High Sierra. Do you know some apps that works with HS? This solution will solve my 2 issues, 1st with the static sound and 2nd, the lack of settings and remote for my Razer Leviathan soundbar. It has this auto off feature which unfortunately there's no way to turn the feature off. So with a constant low volume sound playing, I will not have the static sound plus I don't have to go and reach for the power button of my speaker to turn it on again.

Unfortunately, I'm on Mavericks.
Noisy might not work as it's 32 bits, but antipop might, as it's just a launch agent plus a daemon (located at /Library/LaunchAgents/net.tomsick.antipop.plist and /usr/local/bin/antipopd) but I can't guarantee you anything... :silent:
Anyway, see my EDIT of the former post, as I have been writing it when you were answering. ;)
I'm quite sure the "Hum Killer" adapter would do it, in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back