Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
i3-2350M
Graphics
HD 3000
I'm interested in making sure I'm importing the best quality audio possible but also time efficient. I'm just recording short guitar tracks for now.

I've got a basic strat guitar I can use with 3 different recording setups. As of now my only input to the computer would be 1/8".
a small danelectro amp with headphone out 1/4" jack,
an active (battery) microphone with 1/8" output jack (mic placed near amp speaker), and
a mini VOX headphone amp with 1/8" jack output.

I also have a mackie 1402 vlz pro mixer (with RCA to 1/8" output) which might help for setting levels as it has a pre-amp.

In the past, I would set up the active mic with my mz-r50 minidisc recorder. I would play the guitar through the amp and record with the single mic placed in the "sweet spot of the room" onto the minidisc recorder. Then I would then playback the recorded minidisc track and re-record the track in real time to my audio editing software on computer from the minidisc 1/8" output jack.... using audacity or logic for example. This is not very time efficient and I have to set recording levels twice.

I'm using 10.11 on several different machines. From an HP 4530s laptop to GA-P55M-UD4 to GA-P67A-UD3B3.

A few things I'm also wondering...

Low latency is important to me in case I need to listen to a backing track or my input through the computer speaker as I record it (maybe that is a bad idea?). Any of my setups might give better latency based off specs alone?

24bit/96khz seems to be a nice standard to aim for. Is my 1/8" jack port preventing me from getting this standard? Maybe I need to look at an XLR or 1/4" to USB box solution.

I've got a set of Fostex PM-1 studio monitors that I will use for mixing the final tracks and a nice pair of sony reference headphones if I’m on the road. I'm just trying to find my weak parts of this workflow.

Does one of my motherboards stand out as having a better native audio setup? Should I work to enable HDMI audio out? My laptop has the HDMI port but my desktop does not. Would USB 3.0 help if I got an XLR/1/4" pre-amp input box? I have TOSLINK optical and S/PDIF coaxial output on both desktop motherboards too.

thanks in advance for any feedback.

I would strongly suggest picking up a cheap interface. You can get a 2 in 2 out interface for less than $100 bucks nowadays..

Like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

Recording directly into the 1/8 audio jacks is not ideal..

these interfaces also offer low latency monitoring, so you can monitor right from the interface, around the computer.

good luck

-B

I would strongly suggest picking up a cheap interface. You can get a 2 in 2 out interface for less than $100 bucks nowadays..

Like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

Recording directly into the 1/8 audio jacks is not ideal..

these interfaces also offer low latency monitoring, so you can monitor right from the interface, around the computer.

good luck

-B

Thanks for the tip Brado!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back