Contribute
Register

Audio Dropouts (Built In & External Firewire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z68xp ud4 10.6.8
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
gigabyte hd6850OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, Every few minutes audio will dropout for about 500ms with all audio related software I use which is iTunes and Logic pro 9 (I have tested other DAW software and the same thing happens) I have had this problem with my build since day 1 in 10.6.8, 10.7 and 10.7.1. I have searched the web endlessly to no avail.

I use the DSDT from the database and my monitor is connected via HDMI (problem was there when using easybeast). I thought it may be the HDMI interfering but DVI does not make any change. I tried the appleHDA.kext rollback to 10.6.2 with no luck and also tried 10.6.7 appleHDA.kext. Re-installing DSDT and repair permissions has been unsuccessful too.

I use the mackie onyx 400f firewire interface (works flawlessly on my macbook pro 10.6.8). Built In audio is not important to me but considering that it shares the same issue we can rule out the mackie being the culprit.

The other problem I have with this build is that the default radeon framebuffer is being loaded instead of duckweed like it should be. Because of this I get no DVD player and geekbench. Could this really be affecting my audio? Unfortunately I don't have another card to test at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this system was built mostly for audio production.

i have this problem with tc electronic connect 8
when i use her in 10.6.8 all its ok
after i install lion a have kernel panic when i load system

Hi, I updated my bios to the latest version but the problem is still there. How does your console report at the time of the dropouts?
Here is my console info at time of dropout:

18/10/11 7:17:50 PM kernel IOAudioStream[0xbc94f00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (176e,507)->(1770,118c).

I had a google but haven't found anything to help fix it. It's possible that it is the hard drive but I verified them and everything is apparently ok. I'm going to get a new hard drive and do a totally fresh install. I'll report back in a week or two.

Installed fresh with a brand new hard drive and problem is still present. Today I tried an apogee duet to see if it was my sound card but audio still drop out! Going to try a texas instruments firewire chipset and failing that buy a different motherboard.

@rusm: you could try installing lion and then rolling back the audio kexts to 10.6.8

I know this is a few months old, but I've been battling this issue for a long time now.

I have a P8P67 Pro Rev 3 Mobo with an updated 10.7.2 OSX and get the audio cutting out every few minutes, for about 1 second. It makes a slight pop sound, drops out, and then comes back in ONLY when my Mackie Onyx Firewire Mixer is used (Onyx 1220i).

I record music using the multichannel mixer, and built the hackintosh for garageband. Sound works perfectly if going through the internal audio driver, but the second my Onyx is connected it cuts out. This does not happen at all in Windows, only Mac OSX.

Has anybody solved this issue? Is it a BIOS setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help (it seems like, as of the last message, this issue was not sorted out).

UPDATE: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6815287011

Buy that, it WILL SOLVE THIS ISSUE (if you are having the same issue as me)

Same problem here, different hardware. Presonus FP10 (FirePod).

I need to try it with my older Presonus Inspire. Maybe this is a problem with the firewire drivers?

I got a new Sonnet Allegro 1394b card (with TI chipset) and this has so far solved this issue for me.

azzario said:
I could run down to a 5ms latency with snow but only 12ms under lion.

12ms latency is pretty good for Ableton on my hardware. What is your sample size? Does the 7ms make a difference to you?

I"m having dropouts also with my Saffire LE. Audio from all sources, logic pro, youtube, itunes, etc will drop out for around .5 seconds periodically. Currently running Lion 10.7.2

I have the same problem that several people here are reporting: audio drop-outs about every1-2 minutes, only for a very brief moment, using a Mackie Onyx 1220i via the motherboard's firewire.

I just finished building my new Hackintosh (following tonymac's recommended build with the i7-2600K and gigabyte z68xp-ud3, video card is Nvidia GTX 460) and the primary reason I need a powerful computer is audio production using Cubase - which I haven't even installed yet, and if I can't find a solution to those drop-outs I may have to stick with Windows 7 for the time being (I have used the Mackie 1220i without any problem at all on Windows 7 up until now).

I might try connecting the Mackie via a PCI firewire card, since apparently that has helped some people... but any other suggestions/experiences from other people are appreciated very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back