Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Good morning guys.

Well I'm slowly building my G5 Hackintosh and just finished the back panel with the MM tray. :headbang: The next step was opening the Corsair CMPSU-650HX PSU and put it in the G5 PSU casing. I pretty much followed nikkokick thread all the way but ran into a small problem. From the image below you can see my power plug and switch is soldered on a board. Which prevents me to just slip it easily on the case. Just off the top of my head a came up with a few option:

1. Cut the "switch" off the board and solder with wires to the board.
or
2. Find some sort of Male to female extender. (might be the safest)
or
3. Remove Power plug from the board and resolder with extended wires.

I would like to know what you guys think would be the best option. And it doesn't have to be the ones I listed. Thank you guys!

PhotoApr20102611AM.jpg

oojosheoo said:
Good morning guys.

Well I'm slowly building my G5 Hackintosh and just finished the back panel with the MM tray. :headbang: The next step was opening the Corsair CMPSU-650HX PSU and put it in the G5 PSU casing. I pretty much followed nikkokick thread all the way but ran into a small problem. From the image below you can see my power plug and switch is soldered on a board. Which prevents me to just slip it easily on the case. Just off the top of my head a came up with a few option:

1. Cut the "switch" off the board and solder with wires to the board.
or
2. Find some sort of Male to female extender. (might be the safest)
or
3. Remove Power plug from the board and resolder with extended wires.

I would like to know what you guys think would be the best option. And it doesn't have to be the ones I listed. Thank you guys!

PhotoApr20102611AM.jpg

Okay....first thing is safety first. If your electrical skills with high voltages worry you at all then leave it alone and use an extender as your suggestion number 2.

All right, that's the warning out of the way. Don't blame me if you fry yourself.

This is a common feature of these mod.s and the board that is directly connected to the socket will certainly be a mains filter (to cut down interference and give cleaner power in theory). It is perfectly possible to simply throw away this board and the socket and wire a new ordinary socket in it's place. In most territories this filtering is not 100% needed but it is advisable to have so getting rid of it altogether while being the easy option is not technically the "best" solution.

Your third suggestion is also possible of course by remounting and re-purposing the circuit somewhere more convenient inside the G5 case. This could be fiddly and is possible to mess up. Don't blame me if it goes wrong.

Another option though is to get a simple mains filter and plug combo off eBay (e.g. this kind of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IEC-Power...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27be5127cc) and use that instead of the one that is giving you hassle.

Good luck

The one I made for a G5 case is made of a board mount socket and cut off line cord, sorry couldn't find a picture of the finished one....I used 2 #6 screws to attach the short cord to the back of the G5 (in my case, the PSU case in yours) and plugged it into the stock ATX PSU

Attachments

• PA310005.JPG
    PA310005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 627
I have just finished my mod (well nearly, hot swap fans and am done) and just avoid the whole messing with switch and socket, i cut it out, and resoldered the wire to thee original G5 socket, no mess in about.
You have to switch off at the mains, but you should be doing that anyway regardless of the switch or not, i should know better as am a spark.
Cut it out mate and resolder, job done. ;)

thanks you guys for all the input. I like Sudds idea in using the original G5 plug and getting rid of the board all together like minihack advised. One question ( please do not flame me :oops: )

I know what wire is the ground but how about +, - from the photo below? The Blue and Brown.

PhotoApr20122223PM.jpg

minihack said:
Brown is Live, Blue is neutral.

Thanks Minihack. I should of looked closer. Just realized what "L" & "N" stood for :banghead:

Have a great weekend!

minihack said:
Brown is Live, Blue is neutral.

If you don't know that, walk away now.

No offence but electricity is not to be played with. I'm semi-experienced with wiring, and I've managed to fry my motherboard in the past (still don't know what went wrong exactly, but know I won't be attempting it again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back