Contribute
Register

ATI HD Radeon 5870 - Static (TV display without antenna?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
AMD HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First and foremost, I am a total noob. And all praises go to the excellent community here who made it possible for me to physically hack the G5 to OSX (Not physically).

Decided to hack a G5 Mac Pro case about a month ago and succesfully managed to get it working couple days ago...

Now everything seems to be working fine apart from my Radeon HD 5870. I can boot into the system fine with the below chimera/chamelon boot options

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

But as I mentioned in the subject line getting a static/snow (it is little colourful rather than black and white that you would get on TV). The problem is fixed if the DVI connections are swapped around and/or if I put the hack to sleep and wake it up again.

I have used the DSDT for F10 bios from the database and then replaced it with MacMans new DSDT for fixing sleep issues with the z68 motherboards (Again it was the F10 bios)
and that resolved my problem. But did not fix the problem mentioned above.

I have been searching for an answer all over the place but I couldn't find anything, read something about frame buffers and consequently trying to boot with "ATI Config = XXXXXX" frame buffer resulted with KP. Had to restart using "GraphicsEnabler=No" and cleared the key.

So far I am happy with everything, I have a very stable system that is running 10.7.3 besides the above problem. And considering my sleep works just fine (with the help of PleaseSleep and Jettison) it is not a massive issue. I just let it go to sleep and each and every time it comes back to life without issue.

BUT, as always we want 100% functionality where it permits, so after exhausting all my avenues (my avenues - I don't know all the roads in the book, not a street directory) I am seeking assistance from you people who are way more knowladgeable than myself...

Again I am a newbie, please be gentle... And if I forgot to mention anything please ask and i shall provide.

This used to happen on my girlfriend's REAL Macbook Pro when using an external display. I could never figure out what caused it. I used to just turn the monitor off, then back on, and the problem would resolve itself.

I don't know how it happened but it did, I don't get the snow anymore, only thing I can think of changing is the smbios ggraphicsmode to 1900x1200x32.

BUT I have a bigger problem now, my GPU and CPU performance decrease to less than half after sleep/wake up.

I have tried changing the device identifiers (tried macpro5,1. 11,1 12,2). None of those helped. The system is back to normal after a reboot and runs like a champ...

Any help would be appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back