Contribute
Register

ATI FirePro v7900; any experience or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5, Asus P9X79WS
CPU
i7 3500, Xeon E5 2620
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, GTX 670 x 2
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello All,

For a number of reasons, I'm going to try an ATI FirePro v7900 in my current Hackintosh.
(currently running 10.7 and 3 x Nvidia 9800GT cards for 5-6 monitors)
I've had great success, esp. with Nvidia cards, using all the great information on this forum.

I have very limited prior experience with the ATI cards on OSX86 (a couple years ago). It looks like there's been a lot of progress since then, with reports of some modern ATI cards running easily with 10.8 and the netkas EFI!

I posted on the Netkas.org forum, as it seems there's a lot of ATI expertise there.

Does anyone have direct experience with this card, or have any thoughts on the best "similar" advice to follow. I have found that this card uses the "Cayman" GPU chip, but I don't have a great sense of how similar this would make it to some of the other high-end consumer cards. From what I've gathered, I'll have to make sure that the cards hardware signature is in (or is edited into) the appropriate .kext.

A few questions from what I've gleaned from Dr. Google:
-Is ATI6000controller.kext the appropriate driver/header to try with this card?
-Will things work better if I upgrade to Mountain Lion *before* attempting to use this card (on Lion now)?
-Is there anything I should bear in mind if I'm coming from the approach of custom DSDT (had to edit for multiple cards in the past) and Chameleon/Chimera bootloader? I am thinking that starting with a stock DSDT is probably a necessary first step.

Thanks,
David

No... a long painful road for a few weeks. I ended up selling it since I decided to work mostly under OSX.
Running dual GTX 670's now (which work well under OSX... might get 680's if performance were more an issue).
I did get some interest from a much better hack developer, who helped me troubleshoot for a while, but never got it
working under OSX.
My info's over a year old... Might be better support now, but a small # of folks using this with a Mac.
Sorry I don't have more of a lead,
DK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back