Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68-UD3H
CPU
i7
Graphics
HD 6850
So I have a z68-ud3h-b3 board and for what the desktop is used for (wifes word, powerpoint work and maybe some light gaming, Minecraft and sims). but this no sleep is killing me as my drives keep spinning and I have lost 2 drives of the past couple of years. I have added some new drives back in but I would like to fix the sleep issue.
again sandy bridge is plenty for the use and I am willing to buy a new video card, thinking of a 2gb gtx 1050 if it corrects the sleep issue. it seems like there is a higher success rate with Nvidia but these threads are with newer hardware. anyone still on z68 that has upgraded and can share their experience? oh and am on Siera and will be moving to High Sierra in the near future

thanks

So I have a z68-ud3h-b3 board and for what the desktop is used for (wifes word, powerpoint work and maybe some light gaming, Minecraft and sims). but this no sleep is killing me as my drives keep spinning and I have lost 2 drives of the past couple of years. I have added some new drives back in but I would like to fix the sleep issue.
again sandy bridge is plenty for the use and I am willing to buy a new video card, thinking of a 2gb gtx 1050 if it corrects the sleep issue. it seems like there is a higher success rate with Nvidia but these threads are with newer hardware. anyone still on z68 that has upgraded and can share their experience? oh and am on Siera and will be moving to High Sierra in the near future

thanks

Will probably have the same issue with Nvidia Graphics. Your motherboard has 3rd Party USB 3.0 which causes issues on Wake with some motherboards. Note that some of the Nvidia Graphics is not stable with 10.12+. I recently moved from a GTX760 which had issues with Crashing.

Better off just getting a SSD, sleep becomes fairly pointless then.

It makes lots of sense...ask yourself what exactly the point of sleep is, and if you can turn on your computer and have everything be back where it was in a short enough time, do you actually need sleep anymore? (The answer is "no, not really".)

first let me say thanks for the replies. a long time ago I posted in the second thread that was linked, so yes I tried that. as for the sleep thing, shutting down constantly can be just as bad as letting it run if not worse. not going to get into an argument about it as this thread is really about moving to a new graphics card with this board.

as I said I don't mind spending the money, but took advice some time ago about how the 6850 was supported and never could get it working right (not saying none of it was my fault) just that I could not get it working. and in the end I want to buy my last card for this board and not waste any more money.
anyway, the wife needs a computer for work and I do not want to buy or load windows. I would rather spend the money on a video card if I knew sleep, graphics etc all would work. I need this to be easy for her. she just wants to wiggle the mouse or strike a key and know she can get right to work.

It makes lots of sense...ask yourself what exactly the point of sleep is, and if you can turn on your computer and have everything be back where it was in a short enough time, do you actually need sleep anymore? (The answer is "no, not really".)

Why would you want to leave a Desktop on 24/7? having a SSD will make no difference except kill its life spam.

You seem really confused...you simply turn the computer off. Booting from SSD takes very little time. Sleep worked with 10.9 here, it stopped working when I upgraded to 10.12, however I also got an SSD, and can't say that I miss sleep much. Even if it worked, I doubt I'd use it much anymore.

Anyway, as far as graphics cards go, maybe wait for 10.13, since it seems the Vega cards work OOB, though I don't know if that includes sleep.

You seem really confused...you simply turn the computer off. Booting from SSD takes very little time. Sleep worked with 10.9 here, it stopped working when I upgraded to 10.12, however I also got an SSD, and can't say that I miss sleep much. Even if it worked, I doubt I'd use it much anymore.

Anyway, as far as graphics cards go, maybe wait for 10.13, since it seems the Vega cards work OOB, though I don't know if that includes sleep.

Not the point. You have non native hardware hence why sleep doesn't work. Sleep requires Native Hardware i.e the same hardware that a genuine Mac has got. Sleep also requires ACPI Patches, Sleep also requires a Graphics card thats also been in a Genuine Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back