1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

i just switched recently from my 2007 Mac Pro to a new machine. Hardware as follows:

Corsair PC1600 RAM 12GB (1600 MHz, 240 pins, 3x 4GB) DDR3-RAM Kit
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mainboard Sockel 1366 Intel X58 Express DDR3 ATX
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5770 (PCI-e, 1GB GDDR5, HDMI, 2x DVI, DP, 1 GPU)
Intel 1366 Core i7-970 LGA1366 Socket 12 MB L3-Cache 3,2GHz

The thing is, i have 3 screens. One 30" Apple Cinema Display, a 22" ViewSonic and a 19" Noname. Since my Graphics-Adapter only has 1 real DVI out (must have bought the wrong version), i wanted to use at least my 30" Panel ;) (currently the 22")

So when i had the 30" plugged, i saw:
- BIOS
- iBoot
- the kernel booting with -v
but when OSX was supposed to launch it went out.

I replugged the 22" and it worked. Is there anything i can do to make this work?

The second thing is, i ripped the ATI out of my old Mac Pro and plugged it in. BIOS didn't complain, but it doesn't seem to distribute a image to my other screens. (had 19" and 22" connected at first - since BIOS etc was shown on the 30").

Is there any way to reflash that card with a firmware that is PC compatible. I think it has something to do with it having an EFI FW. But it is also an option if i simply have to buy another card.

PLEASE help me with this. Thanks!

The new bootloader has autodetection in it. It also sets Vervet correctly by itself (as said in the thread you posted). :)

Can anyone recommend a gfx card which would allow me to run my 30" Apple Cinema Display? I want to play WoW, so it can be pricy. (shouldnt exceed ~400 USD)

i would really love to use my "old" screen on my new hackintosh :(

best regards and thanks in advance

fbettag said:
The new bootloader has autodetection in it. It also sets Vervet correctly by itself (as said in the thread you posted). :)

Can anyone recommend a gfx card which would allow me to run my 30" Apple Cinema Display? I want to play WoW, so it can be pricy. (shouldnt exceed ~400 USD)

Well, i mostly have experience with ATI cards and from that I could recommend you the 6870. I have it connected to my 27"ACD with 160px in height less than your 30"ACD. So your framerate should be a bit lower than mine. For gaming I also recommend using dualboot and game in Windows 7 because overal framerate will be higher than on OSX.

Also.. the 6870 is not THAT fast. It's pretty fast but I haven't tested games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 yet and i'm not sure if the card will produce an acceptable framerate with maxed-out settings. I would like to recommend you the 6970 killer-gpu but it won't work (for now). Maybe you should wait for Lion to release, which maybe accepts cards in the Radeon 69xx family.

So for now I think it's the 6870 or wait what Lion will bring.

EDIT: If you want to play Wow, my guess is that the 6870 will be more than enough. Wow is really not that heavy.

injectx said:
fbettag said:

Well, i mostly have experience with ATI cards and from that I could recommend you the 6870. I have it connected to my 27"ACD with 160px in height less than your 30"ACD. So your framerate should be a bit lower than mine. For gaming I also recommend using dualboot and game in Windows 7 because overal framerate will be higher than on OSX.

Also.. the 6870 is not THAT fast. It's pretty fast but I haven't tested games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 yet and i'm not sure if the card will produce an acceptable framerate with maxed-out settings. I would like to recommend you the 6970 killer-gpu but it won't work (for now). Maybe you should wait for Lion to release, which maybe accepts cards in the Radeon 69xx family.

So for now I think it's the 6870 or wait what Lion will bring.

EDIT: If you want to play Wow, my guess is that the 6870 will be more than enough. Wow is really not that heavy.

Thank you very very much for this!

First of all, i am a lucky lucky SoB! :) Yesterday night i made a lucky guess with "GRA XFX (R) HD6870 1024MB HDMI/DVI" (which also has 2x Apple Mini Display ports). I assumed that it has to work with an ACD then, which i still hope it will. :p

Card should be here on Tuesday.

And i think WoW is pretty heavy, depending on what you play. But anyway, i've played it with "Ultra"-Settings and it didn't even hang a bit. (Prolly the SSD does its job as well, have TRIM enabled).

I have to admit that i am not playing on 2560 yet and i just flew around a city a bit, but no probs on 1650 res so far.

Thanks again and i'll keep you posted.

It works with that card. My HD 5770 doesnt have DVI-D *doh*, guess i simply was too high while ordering! Works like a charm now!

GRA XFX (R) HD6870 1024MB HDMI/DVI YEHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back