i7
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all, so I've been happily using my Hackintosh since October 2010, having followed Tony's CustoMac 2010 build on the blog. It's got the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770 "Batmobile" in it, running in 32-bit mode using the Vervet graphics enabler kext. I've been playing Starcraft II on the highest settings with no problems, which is amazing, but I recently started watching .mkvs of Planet Earth in 1080p, and the card (I'm assuming it's the card) totally chokes up on the more codec-intensive shots (Read: Flocks of birds. Flocks of anything, actually). VLC seems smart enough to bump down the quality temporarily when this happens but it looks like barf in the meantime, and Quicktime just completely shits the bed now and then in this situation, basically pausing the movie until I skip somewhere else in the video.

So my questions are these:
1) Am I right in assuming that this is a graphics card issue? Specially the fact that it's stuck down in 32-bit mode? I have 6GB of DDR3 on the mobo.
2) If I'm right, is there any known way to enable 64-bit support for the 5770? Any way to hack it in / any relevant kext files to install / anyone currently trying to do such a thing?
3) If the answer to #2 is no (which is fine, it's a hackintosh after all), is there any other highly-compatible equivalent card out there that can be 64-bit enabled?

Thanks again, guys. :)

freeradicalx said:
Hey all, so I've been happily using my Hackintosh since October 2010, having followed Tony's CustoMac 2010 build on the blog. It's got the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770 "Batmobile" in it, running in 32-bit mode using the Vervet graphics enabler kext. I've been playing Starcraft II on the highest settings with no problems, which is amazing, but I recently started watching .mkvs of Planet Earth in 1080p, and the card (I'm assuming it's the card) totally chokes up on the more codec-intensive shots (Read: Flocks of birds. Flocks of anything, actually). VLC seems smart enough to bump down the quality temporarily when this happens but it looks like barf in the meantime, and Quicktime just completely shits the bed now and then in this situation, basically pausing the movie until I skip somewhere else in the video.

1) Am I right in assuming that this is a graphics card issue? Specially the fact that it's stuck down in 32-bit mode? I have 6GB of DDR3 on the mobo.
2) If I'm right, is there any known way to enable 64-bit support for the 5770? Any way to hack it in / any relevant kext files to install / anyone currently trying to do such a thing?
3) If the answer to #2 is no (which is fine, it's a hackintosh after all), is there any other highly-compatible equivalent card out there that can be 64-bit enabled?

Thanks again, guys. :)

I seriously doubt this is a 64 vs 32 bit issue. Though what the issue is exactly, I couldn't tell you.

Did u tried the video(that particular part) under any other OS besides OS X?
Anyway, check the new MultiBeast, there's no kexts for ATI 5xxx, just use chameleon RC5 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, that's how I enabled HD5850 I borrowed from a friend and it worked fine.

freeradicalx said:

For the problem itself, I can't help. Try to play it on another OS as suggested above.
For the 64-Bit part, I geuss you can following this guid:
viewtopic.php?f=81&p=74192#p74192

Note that you should use the LATEST iBoot & Multobeast.
You can Apply 64-bit mode after completely installing every thing under 32-bit mode. See this part...
notshy said:
13.) Once in OSX have a little play around and check that your sound and ethernet work. Also check that you can now get full resolution on your monitor.
14.) Once you are happy with all that then it's time to check 64 bit OSX. Re-run MultiBeast and only select:
--> Customization -> Boot Options -> 64-bit Apple Boot Screen
15.) Reboot
16.) Enjoy using your CustoMac in 64 bit mode with full graphics QE/CI and all the $$$ that you saved !

I think you don't have to re-install snow leopard, maybe just run the latest multibeast BUT you will have to remove ATI_Init If previously installed (method included in the mentioned topic. Let me know if it works. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back