Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Has anyone else experienced an increase in latency with the Atheros AR8161 nic on the Z77-DS3H MB?

Although I have eliminated this as a factor, the ISP provider is Time Warner.

I've run this test multiple times, under different conditions (see below) so extremely unlikely the issue is coming from anything other than the computer.

1. Computer connected to 2 different routers: Computer is running Yosemite with no other apps running. Latency is initially 17-25 msec. After about 5 minutes it jumps to 500-650 msec which not only makes the computer internet slower, but it also appears to affect anything else attached to the router. My Vonage VOIP telephone becomes quite choppy and audio degrades significantly.

2. Computer connected directly to the cable modem. Same result - after about 5 minutes latency jumps to ~500 msec.
3. Vonage modem connected directly to cable modem. No chop and no audio degradation after at least 30 minutes.
4. Dell laptop running Win 7 connected to router without Yosemite computer - no increase in latency over 30 minutes.
5. Dell laptop connected directly to cable modem. Same result as in experiment 4.
6. Dell laptop connected to router and Yosemite running. When latency jumps to ~500 msec, latency also jumps on Dell laptop.

The only thing I haven't tried is disabling the nic on the MB and try another nic. Short of that, does anyone have some ideas on how to resolve this?

Has anyone else experienced an increase in latency with the Atheros AR8161 nic on the Z77-DS3H MB?

Although I have eliminated this as a factor, the ISP provider is Time Warner.

I've run this test multiple times, under different conditions (see below) so extremely unlikely the issue is coming from anything other than the computer.

1. Computer connected to 2 different routers: Computer is running Yosemite with no other apps running. Latency is initially 17-25 msec. After about 5 minutes it jumps to 500-650 msec which not only makes the computer internet slower, but it also appears to affect anything else attached to the router. My Vonage VOIP telephone becomes quite choppy and audio degrades significantly.

2. Computer connected directly to the cable modem. Same result - after about 5 minutes latency jumps to ~500 msec.
3. Vonage modem connected directly to cable modem. No chop and no audio degradation after at least 30 minutes.
4. Dell laptop running Win 7 connected to router without Yosemite computer - no increase in latency over 30 minutes.
5. Dell laptop connected directly to cable modem. Same result as in experiment 4.
6. Dell laptop connected to router and Yosemite running. When latency jumps to ~500 msec, latency also jumps on Dell laptop.

The only thing I haven't tried is disabling the nic on the MB and try another nic. Short of that, does anyone have some ideas on how to resolve this?

5 Nov Follow-up: Tried every version of Atheros kext I could find and none resolved the inevitable increase in latency. Bit the bullet and bought a $12 Tenda 10/100/1000 PCI nic card (Realtek 8169 chipset). Performance has been rock solid and absolutely no latency issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back