Graphics
GeForce GTX 570 2560 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Now that MultiBeast 8.0 for El Capitan was released I made the effort to install 10.11.1 on my hackintosh built that was running OS Yosemite to my satisfaction. I did try to install El Captain earlier, just with Clover, but did not get it to work, mostly because of my Graphics card: Point of View, GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560 MB. Anyways, I got El Capitan running right now, however there are some issues with my USB connectivity. Here is a rundown on how I installed the OS:

- Asus Z97-A USB 3.1 with optimized default settings.
- Changes the BIOS boot option to UEFI only
- Prepared an USB stick according to the instruction on this site to make an bootable installer
- Chose the USB installer stick as #1 boot device in the Asus BIOS set up
- Booted up the built to the clover/tonymacx installer
- Chose the OS X installer
- Opened OS X Disk Utilities, formated the SSD and installed El Captain to it
- Rebooted the computer , from clover/tonymacx screen chose El Captain

Until here I did not run into any trouble, however I could initially not boot into the new installation.
After a couple of boot's I managed to add a boot flag: nv_disable=1 and I was able to boot into the new
El Capitan installation.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/174320-how-edit-clover-config-plist.html

Please not that the graphics card was not working at this moment of the installation
and my screen worked on a very low resolution. My 30 inch NEC monitor was connected to the graphics card.

I did the initial OS X set up, then made the MultiBeast 8.0 installation, after that I installed the NVIDIA web drivers:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...raphics-drivers-os-x-10-11-1-346-03-03-a.html
Now the built was almost ready, to finish up, I loaded the Clover Configurator: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=276

This tool is very nice, however you need to know how to operate it, otherwise you will mess up the clover installation.

After the initial installation you are ask to update the tool, please do so. Then, mount the EFI installation, if the tool screen does not show anything, press the 'Mount EFI partion' on the bottom right of the tool window and pick your EFI disk.

Read the box and choose the right disk of your installation such as: disk1s1 , disk2s1 or so. Before making any changes, LOAD THE .CONFIG FILE of your EFI installation.

Click on the import button on the bottom left corner to load it. Then make the changes and save them. I checked: USB, XMP Profile 2 (so my memory is running at the right speed), nada_drv=1 and chose the Mac 3.1 setting. Check out my screen shots.

Now restart your built and it should run fine. One more thing, the NVIDIA driver will not work on the web driver setting on my built, even when I check the box and reboot. I don't know why but it works this way for me. Without the driver my built did not work at all.

I got my hackintosh to run with these settings and such. However, I still have some USB issues.

- 1 USB 3.1 port on the back is not working at all

- external drives are not always recognized, when connected on the back or via an USB 3 hub that
is connected internal to the Asus board

- external drives do mount when connected to my internal NEC monitor USB2 hub that is fed from
an USB 3 port from the back panel

- SD cards are mounting by my USB 3 hub that is connected internal to the mainboard

Any advice to get the USB 3 issue to work on this board are highly appreciated.

Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
Intel i7 Core 4Ghz Haswell
G Skill DDR3-2133 - 4 x 8 GIG = 32 total
Point of View, GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560 MB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.20.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.20.29 PM.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.57.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.57.57 PM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.28 PM.png
    49 KB · Views: 987
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.13.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.13.42 PM.png
    179 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.13.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.13.34 PM.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.38 PM.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.15 PM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.02.21 PM.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 961
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.34.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.34.03 PM.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 862
I installed the kext files according to the instructions, but that did not work.
After that, I added the two patches as mentioned in the USB fix post. This
made my Hackintosh crash during boot up, so I had to remove the patches.

I have now two USB 3 ports running, on a x3 USB 3.0 hub that is connected to the internal
USB 3.0 interface. That started working for me after adding two DSDT patches via Clover Configurator,
plz see attachment for details. I found them on a usb post here somewhere, they were made for a Gigabyte
motherboard, so why this is working for me, I can't say...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.47.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.47.18 AM.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 544
Hello whitesaab, or anyone else reading this who has the same ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard:

Did you ever figure out a solution to get the ports all working properly? I believe I am in the same situation you were on your last post, but I am not yet confident my ports are working well enough when they do seem to be working. I'm still troubleshooting, but have had some laggy Finder weirdness and some devices seemingly randomly appearing under the USB 3.0 Bus or USB 2.0 Bus section of the System Information utility despite not changing the physical ports the devices are connected to.

I've written as much as I can remember about my setup on my blog at https://votecharlie.com/blog/2016/01/hackintosh-asus-z97-a-31.html, but I wouldn't yet want to post it here as a "guide" because I need to confirm and hopefully get it working better first.

Any additional information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I may have all the ports working now (except the USB 3.1 ports on the back?) but I need to do more thorough testing. It seems the missing piece for me was mentioned at http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...d-bcm94360cd-wifi-bluetooth.html#post1142722:

1. Open Clover Configurator (Mount EFI and open your config.plist)
2. Go to Kernel and Kext Patches
3. Add patch:

Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI
Find: 83BD8CFEFFFF10
Replace: 83BD8CFEFFFF16

I just finished an install of el capitan and all my ports working as 3.0. Although the top two usb ports are not active. When booting in verbose I see that el capitan reads the 3.1 ports but says they're incompatible. Any ideas on getting these top ports working?

hello whitesaab, or anyone else reading this who has the same asus z97-a/usb 3.1 motherboard:

Did you ever figure out a solution to get the ports all working properly? I believe i am in the same situation you were on your last post, but i am not yet confident my ports are working well enough when they do seem to be working. I'm still troubleshooting, but have had some laggy finder weirdness and some devices seemingly randomly appearing under the usb 3.0 bus or usb 2.0 bus section of the system information utility despite not changing the physical ports the devices are connected to.

I've written as much as i can remember about my setup on my blog at https://votecharlie.com/blog/2016/01/hackintosh-asus-z97-a-31.html, but i wouldn't yet want to post it here as a "guide" because i need to confirm and hopefully get it working better first.

update: i may have all the ports working now (except the usb 3.1 ports on the back?) but i need to do more thorough testing. It seems the missing piece for me was mentioned at http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...d-bcm94360cd-wifi-bluetooth.html#post1142722:
1. Open clover configurator (mount efi and open your config.plist)
2. Go to kernel and kext patches
3. Add patch:

Name: Appleusbxhcipci
find: 83bd8cfeffff10
replace: 83bd8cfeffff16

this was the missing piece for me aswell!!!!! Thank you thank you!

3. Add patch:

FYI, that is the patch that raises the ports-per-USB-controller limit from 15 to 21. RehabMan, much wiser in the ways of USB than me, has suggested it may have some undesirable side effects. But for now, it seems to be of practical assistance.

Thank you so much for:

3. Add patch:

It works perfectly on my Asus Impact VII

Fixed 3 rear mounted USB 3.0 ports without any apparent secondary problems.
Adding FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext disabled my on-board bluetooth and did not fix the problem.

Hello whitesaab, or anyone else reading this who has the same ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard:

Did you ever figure out a solution to get the ports all working properly? I believe I am in the same situation you were on your last post, but I am not yet confident my ports are working well enough when they do seem to be working. I'm still troubleshooting, but have had some laggy Finder weirdness and some devices seemingly randomly appearing under the USB 3.0 Bus or USB 2.0 Bus section of the System Information utility despite not changing the physical ports the devices are connected to.

I've written as much as I can remember about my setup on my blog at https://votecharlie.com/blog/2016/01/hackintosh-asus-z97-a-31.html, but I wouldn't yet want to post it here as a "guide" because I need to confirm and hopefully get it working better first.

Update: I may have all the ports working now (except the USB 3.1 ports on the back?) but I need to do more thorough testing. It seems the missing piece for me was mentioned at http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...sd-bcm94360cd-wifi-bluetooth.html#post1142722:

3. Add patch:

Thank you so much for:

3. Add patch:

It works perfectly on my Asus Impact VII

Fixed 3 rear mounted USB 3.0 ports without any apparent secondary problems.
Adding FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext disabled my on-board bluetooth and did not fix the problem.

Hi How do I add patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back