CPU
i7 4770k
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,
I've spent two days trying to get an installer for Big Sur working on my Z97-A system using OpenCore (first time I'm using it), with no luck whatsoever. From the logs, it seems to get stuck on [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]. I've tried removing certain kexts, disabling various arguments in the config.plist file, and even went as far as re-creating the usb installer and following the OpenCore install guide again to ensure I didn't miss anything. I can't get any further and looking at the logs now, everything just seems the same. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.5 KB · Views: 146
  • opencore-2020-12-28-032342.txt
    256 KB · Views: 176
Hey, could you please post the DSDT file w/o patches (F4 on boot screen w/ CLOVER)?

Hey, could you please post the DSDT file w/o patches (F4 on boot screen w/ CLOVER)?
Here's the dump of the file.

Note, since I last posted my message yesterday, I actually managed to get the installer to work by regenerating the DSDT files (not sure if they were corrupt or if I did something wrong originally). Now the installer starts, and get to the 12 minute mark left and crashes. :(

From the reading I'm doing on this, I'm thinking it has to do with the nvram as per this article (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/opencore-asus-maximus-vii-hero-z97-4790k-rx580.306508/), but I am not 100% sure. And honestly, maybe just me, I don't mind flashing my bios with something delivered from the manufacturer, but I'm petrified to mod a version of it and then flashing the MB with it...

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    63.1 KB · Views: 82
Check the attached EFI (it's based on Clover 5127; no theme folder and no IDs in the config).
If it fails to boot, send two log files (one in the misc folder and one in the root of EFI).

Attachments

• EFI_z97a.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 286

Note, since I last posted my message yesterday, I actually managed to get the installer to work by regenerating the DSDT files (not sure if they were corrupt or if I did something wrong originally). Now the installer starts, and get to the 12 minute mark left and crashes. :(

From the reading I'm doing on this, I'm thinking it has to do with the nvram? One article (

From the reading I'm doing on this, I'm thinking it has to do with the nvram as per this article (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/opencore-asus-maximus-vii-hero-z97-4790k-rx580.306508/), but I am not 100% sure. And honestly, maybe just me, I don't mind flashing my bios with something delivered from the manufacturer, but I'm petrified to mod a version of it and then flashing the MB with it...
Hi Il.F,
first off, thank you for taking your time to help me with this problem. GREATLY appreciated!

I tried your EFI settings using clover, and got the exact same behaviour as mine with OC. Installation starts, progresses nicely, then things slow down with 13 minutes left in the process, and then crashes at 12 minutes left :(
Attached is the log from the misc folder; no other log files were present at the root.

I'm going to spend some more time looking into this as well, but am starting to think I'll install Catalina with OC instead of Big Sur for now. Prior to trying to get Big Sur up and running, I was using Mojave with Clover... so I guess it's still a partial win for me :)

Attachments

• 2020-12-28_16-14-43_BOOTX64.txt
    48.1 KB · Views: 86
It's a pity :'(
But I'm glad that the EFI is working.

You can try this method for broken NVRAM.

Unfortunately, it's not an option for me and I'll be going with the BIOS modification method (when I'll get one of the PCs with this m/b).

BTW, what is your BIOS version?

It's a pity :'(
But I'm glad that the EFI is working.

You can try this method for broken NVRAM.

Unfortunately, it's not an option for me and I'll be going with the BIOS modification method (when I'll get one of the PCs with this m/b).

BTW, what is your BIOS version?
I threw in the towel last night :( I spent 3 days on it and just didn't have the energy to move forward any more. I then tried to install Catalina using OC, and had issues with it as well. Tried one last time with Catalina and clover, and while it took me a little further, it still would not get the installer up and running. So I went back to Mojave and for now will have to do.

The following is my hardware specs:
MB: Asus Z97-A with BIOS v. 3503
CPU: Intel 4790K
RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR3L-1600
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
Graphics: Using the Asus onboard graphics.

This old baby has been seen every MAC OS from Mavericks to Mojave with no issues and very little trouble to get them up and running. I guess I'm getting old and losing patients trying to keep this one going further. Who knows, maybe I'll get a second wind and try again soon.

Try the attached modded BIOS (how to flash - here) with my EFI.
Prepare the original BIOS for recovery before applying this.

Attachments

• z97a.cap.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 308
Try the attached modded BIOS (how to flash - here) with my EFI.
Prepare the original BIOS for recovery before applying this.
Thanks for the bios. I'll try it when I get that second wind and will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back