Contribute
Register

Asus Z170-A vs. GA-Z170X-UD3 (asm1142 vs. Alpine Ridge USB 3.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

First, I know that Z170 is not yet supported and may never be, but I would still like the hardware I buy to be as compatible as possible. I will be running some other OS as main until support is added.

I was about to pull the trigger on a new build based on Z170 and the Asus Z170-A.

But I just found out that the Asus Z170-A uses an AsMedia asm1142 controller for USB 3.1, while the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 uses the Intel Alpine Ridge controller.

I haven't yet found a definite answer on if the asm1142 controller works correctly in OS X, or if the Alpine Ridge controller will work for that matter.

My understanding is that the asm1142 is the same controller used on Asus Z97-A / USB 3.1, but non of the successfully builds with that board tells wether or not the controller works in USB 3.1 mode.

So my question is: Does anyone know if the asm1142 controller supports USB 3.1 (in USB 3.1 mode) in OS X?

Thanks

Hi

First, I know that Z170 is not yet supported and may never be, but I would still like the hardware I buy to be as compatible as possible. I will be running some other OS as main until support is added.

I was about to pull the trigger on a new build based on Z170 and the Asus Z170-A.

But I just found out that the Asus Z170-A uses an AsMedia asm1142 controller for USB 3.1, while the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 uses the Intel Alpine Ridge controller.

I haven't yet found a definite answer on if the asm1142 controller works correctly in OS X, or if the Alpine Ridge controller will work for that matter.

My understanding is that the asm1142 is the same controller used on Asus Z97-A / USB 3.1, but non of the successfully builds with that board tells wether or not the controller works in USB 3.1 mode.

So my question is: Does anyone know if the asm1142 controller supports USB 3.1 (in USB 3.1 mode) in OS X?

Thanks
Go with the intel if you want it to work with native drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back