Graphics
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 980
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] ASUS X99-E WS | Intel Core i7-5960X | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980

Hi guys,

I just finished my new build. This is my first attempt at a CustoMac. I would like for this rig to dual-boot OS X Yosemite and Windows.

Here is the configuration i went with:

Corei7-Processor-Box-H34695.jpg Intel Core i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png.jpeg ASUS X99-E WS
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500-1.png.jpeg ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980
VENG_LPX_BLK_01.png Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB (4x4 GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666 MHz C15 Memory Kit
ssd_fgs3_a_240gb.png 2x Force Series GS 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/s SSD
wdfSE.jpg 2x Western Digital SE 2TB HDD
RM850_sideview_A.png Corsair RM Series RM850 – 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold, Fully Modular PSU
h110_hero_fans.png Corasir Hydro Series H110 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
450D_built_three_quarter_hero_down.png Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Mid-tower PC Case

So far I tried the X99 temporary guide but couldn't get past the Apple logo with a progress bar stuck at the beginning. I booted up using verbose mode and got stuck at something like "PCIe Configuration Begin"

Does anyone have any suggestions? ;)

Thanks

PAHIF

EDIT [Solved!]:

Just letting everyone that this was finally solved. Sorry for not responding earlier, I kinda gave up on this machine running OS X after a few sleepless nights. I tried again this Easter and voilá, I found this awesome guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/showthread.php?t=168396&referrerid=1256722 :clap::clap::clap:

Almost everything works as it should. Still have to fix the iMessages but I am too lazy to read the whole guide. If anyone solves it, please, let me know the steps. ;)

One issue I still have is having to unplug and plug in the DP cabel to my Dell U3415W after each boot... I haven't found any solution yet. HDMI works just fine...

El Capitan seems not to be compatible with 5960X. Let's hope that the next OS X will be. :wave:

Last edited:
I have the same setup and the same problem, only difference is that i have a 970 from asus.

First off, my hat is off to anyone who is brave enough to attempt the X99 build. Bad news that it is a very challenging build but the good news that it can work.

I'm going to enlighten you on the process below that worked for me.
Bob Roche's method is tried and true. I'm running the Asus X99 deluxe w/ 2 - GTX980's and 32GB RAM. So far so good. Have a look at the video below.

http://youtu.be/cx_RD7CduDM

Thanks a bunch for the videotip, im gonna try it asap!!

well that didnt work out, i cant get it to work. It hangs att PCI configuration begin and i have used the exact same steps as others with the same processor GPU and an ASUS x99 motherboard

Did you have to boot with -x flag when you installed?
If so what kexts did you install after installing OSX and did you use a DSDT?

Just FYI, Bob Roche has posted an updated video with more information where he explains a few key points during the installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMXkB2wMWE

I've got an ASUS X99-A board, 5820k cpu, ASUS 970 Strix. I'm going to give Bob's method a shot within the next few days.

Anybody else get the ASUS X99 boards running successfully? Any tips to share? Wish me luck!

Any luck with the X99-E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back