I9-7940X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey ho together,

i currently a little bit frustrated during my fresh mojave hack install.

Followed this guide step by step from @kgp : "iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave"

I´ve done all required bios settings, all changes to the conf.plist and created the bootable USB Stick.
Now i have probs with the famous USB power / USB driver problems.
My board is pretty similar to the x299 Deluxe used in the guide, but i dont now how to manage the problems right now.
DSDT Patching? I think it´s a post installation method via IOReg Browser, or not? I´m a beginner...

Hint:
When i boot with a sata ssd root device i will end up in the language selection screen of the installer. But no mouse, no keyboard -> No Chance :-D

I´ve tried a few things:
- different BIOS options e.g. "Keyboard and Mouse Simulator" or "Legacy USB Support"
- USB 2.0 Stick at USB 2.0 Port, USB 3.0 Stick at USB 3.0 Port, tried all ports!!
- SSDTs of @kgp ´s collection .. He posted SSDT-USBX.aml which is for power problems during boot. Same problem but maybe i did something
wrong in the implementation??
- different USBInjects.kext .. Maybe i did something wrong??

In germany you would say "Ich seh den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht mehr." which means:
I´ve tried too much things ... now i dont know where i am. :-D Please help!

Attached you can find my current EFI Folder, maybe a little bit trashy. I tried to much things..

Hardware:
ASUS Strix X299-E Gaming
Intel i9-7440X
Vega 64 OC

BIOS Settings
- first of all i´ve set all settings mentioned in the guide
- current Advanced\USB Configuration settings
- Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
- USB Mass Storage Driver Support -> Enabled
- USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator -> Disabled

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
No idea what is actually your problem, my friend. Just use my default EFI-folder, add a properly adopted TSCAdustReset.kext for your i9-7940X (please correct the typo i9-7440X in your profile) and you should be save. Don't forget do disable MSR lock within your BIOS settings and apply all other recommended BIOS settings. The SSDTs are not mandatory for the initial MacOS Installation. Just skip them at first place. Don't mess your EFI-Folder with different kext approaches. My EFI-Folder distribution should run OoB apart from the missing TSCAdustReset.kext implementation.

Don't use BIOS firmware 1603 but 1503 instead! 1603 might collapse your entire XHCI USB and all USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports might stop working. Verify with IOREG that XHCI is properly implemented.

If you do not have yet a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for your STRIX X-299-E GAMING, use USBInjectAll.kext or the USB 3.1 ports for the initial MacOS 10.14.2 installation.

Good luck,

KGP

WOW! What a answer .. and so fast !! Thank you so much!

Will check it and downgrade to 1503. Actually i running 1602.

Hey ho together,

i currently a little bit frustrated during my fresh mojave hack install.

Followed this guide step by step from @kgp : "iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave"

I´ve done all required bios settings, all changes to the conf.plist and created the bootable USB Stick.
Now i have probs with the famous USB power / USB driver problems.
My board is pretty similar to the x299 Deluxe used in the guide, but i dont now how to manage the problems right now.
DSDT Patching? I think it´s a post installation method via IOReg Browser, or not? I´m a beginner...

Hint:
When i boot with a sata ssd root device i will end up in the language selection screen of the installer. But no mouse, no keyboard -> No Chance :-D

I´ve tried a few things:
- different BIOS options e.g. "Keyboard and Mouse Simulator" or "Legacy USB Support"
- USB 2.0 Stick at USB 2.0 Port, USB 3.0 Stick at USB 3.0 Port, tried all ports!!
- SSDTs of @kgp ´s collection .. He posted SSDT-USBX.aml which is for power problems during boot. Same problem but maybe i did something
wrong in the implementation??
- different USBInjects.kext .. Maybe i did something wrong??

In germany you would say "Ich seh den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht mehr." which means:
I´ve tried too much things ... now i dont know where i am. :-D Please help!

Attached you can find my current EFI Folder, maybe a little bit trashy. I tried to much things..

Hardware:
ASUS Strix X299-E Gaming
Intel i9-7440X
Vega 64 OC

BIOS Settings
- first of all i´ve set all settings mentioned in the guide
- current Advanced\USB Configuration settings
- Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
- USB Mass Storage Driver Support -> Enabled
- USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator -> Disabled

• Please see the edited config.plist_Devices from your EFI/CLOVER/config.plist for some Troubleshoot tips to try.
  • The rest of CLOVER looks OK to me.

Attachments

• 1.config.plist_Devices_USB.png
    1.config.plist_Devices_USB.png
    242 KB · Views: 92
ok!

@kgp -> Downloaded a fresh version of your EFI distribution, added my TSCAdjust kext with IOCPUNumber 27 (28 Threads), downgraded the BIOS to version 1503 and set all the settings mentioned in your guide. MSR Lock Disabled!

Still no luck :-/
Tried USBInject and Ownership too. No luck.
Then i tried USBInjectall.kext and any port at the board. No luck.
Then i tried different settings with "legacy support" and "Keyboard Simulator". No luck.

Hint:
When the clover preboot ended with
"Randomseed
+++++++++++++++++++++"

the mouse and keyboard lost the power.

Attached you can find the bios settings. Something wrong?
Can i do something wrong with compiling the USBInjectall.kext?

The screenshot of the verbose output is a few seconds before "still waiting for root device" appears..

Thank you so much for your help guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    811.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    935.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
EDIT: I got the USB boot device with the USB3.1 Board. I missed this ..
But i only have one USB3.1 and a USB type C ports.

Any idea how i can access the keyboard or mouse on any other ports?

EDIT: I got the USB boot device with the USB3.1 Board. I missed this ..
But i only have one USB3.1 and a USB type C ports.

Any idea how i can access the keyboard or mouse on any other ports?

I already told you.. DON'T USE BIOS FIRMWARE 1603!!!! DOWNGRADE TO BIOS FIRMWARE 1503 or 1403!!!

You also might have to do some CMOS resets to make your XHCI USB ACPI Table work again for macOS!!! Use EZ Flashback for flashing your motherboard with the respective firmware.

THAT NONE OF YOUR USB2.0 AND USB3.0 PORTS ARE WORKING IS A 1603 BIOS FIRMWARE ISSUE CAUSED BY ASUS.

Firmware 1603 can totally destroy your XHCI ACPI Table. In consequence there will not be any HS or SS ports implemented. Not any of the available USB kext solutions will work in this case.

SOME SOLVED THE 1603 BIOS FIRMWARE ISSUE BY ENABLING BOOT FLAG npci=0x2000!!!

You should have better read the posts along the main 10.14 X299 thread and posted your problem there, instead of opening this separate stand alone thread here. Nearly nobody would read it and help you in your issue.

Anyway, I already told you twice the solution for your problem.

Good luck

Last edited:
Sorry but I wrote before that I first downgraded the bios, reset the cmos and started then a new try with your distribution. I read everything twice or more before I start my work...

Sorry but I didn't found the posts with the firmware problem before because I didn't know that's a firmware problem...

I finished the install now. Only the USB 3.1 Ports are running now (although BIOS 1503 and fresh CMOS Reset).
The USB Boot stick in the USB 3.1 and a USB-C to USB Hub for mouse and keyboard in the USB3.1 Type C Slot.

In my case the ACPI Tables are fully destroyed and didn't came back with the downgrade and CMOS Refresh right now?!?! uhh.. This is my next mission :/

I fixed it by a CMOS reset (Turn power OFF on the PSU, press the On/Off button until all power is gone from the board, press the CMOS reset button on the motherboard for 10-15 seconds, restore power) and reflashing 1503.
Apparently, if you do a CMOS reset, 1603 should also work, but I didn't try it again afterwards.

This is what I did .. Will do it again and carefully .. With a CMOS Reset the BIOS should create fresh tables, right?

Thank you for your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back