EVGA GTX 680 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
o19MediaGroup said:
Hey guys! Asus ThunderboltEX Addon card was announced this week.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5935/asus-thunderbolt-ex-upgrade-card-for-7series-motherboards

I'm assuming it uses the TB chipset everyone else is in the PC world and Apple hasn't caught up. Anyone have any news on that though? A few TB mobos have hit the market and I can't find anything about how the TB works with the Hack.

Of course not. These products are mostly only just announced and not yet available. And the motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt like the just announced Asus P8Z77-V Premium costs more than US$400 (in my place). Pretty expensive for a motherboard and I think not many people can afford to have it.

The Asus solution looks pretty bad IMHO. 3 Connections and one is external. Slooks and sounds like a joke.

I just hackintoshed the MSI z77a-gd80 thunderbolt board.
Link: http://hacksbyalfa.tumblr.com/post/2438 ... hunderbolt

No Mac currently has the cactus ridge thunderbolt chip. Since that is the latest generation. Once apple updates their Mac line we should see support across the board for thunderbolt.

That said I don't know about the Asus implementation. I can't see Apple using the DSL3310 chip which what the Asus board must use due to The single video input.

If like the MSI board the gigabyte boards have the dsl3510 controller I'll be purchasing one to hackintosh.

Btw the MSI board was $250

Edit:
Looking at it again it could be the Asus has the dsl3510 chip. That motherboard connector could be pipping in video via the intel on chip graphics.
The dsl3510 also uses a pcie 4x pipe.
I still don't like the the cumbersome implementation.

I don't think its cumbersome at all but cumbersome or not, having the ability to add it in the future is nice. I need to build a rig with at least 5 PCIe ports.

3 for Pro Tools HD3
1 for a slim video card (advice would be sweet on this one btw)
1 for Wifi (unless the mobo contains a usable wifi)

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back