Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z690-E GAMING WIFI
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Hello TMac,

Since I do wish to continue using MacOS with Logic Pro X, I am in the process of researching my options for building a new dedicated DAW featuring a modern TB4 Audio Interface. My current machine is an Intel 3rd Generation 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, with a Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce paired with a Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56 which uses Firewire 400 running Mojave. While it has served me extensively for practically 10 years, it is experiencing random reboots, often fails to POST, and is too unstable for recording use.

The last two hacks I have built include an 11th Generation 11700k with a MSI Z590 Tomahawk and Gigabyte AMD RX560 for streaming and a 12th Generation 12900K with an ASUS Z690 GAMING-E and a MSI AMD 6600 XT for my video editing workstation. My current audio interface drivers do work well with either system via a PCI-E Firewire card but I would like to expand my system and experience a lower latency in the recording process.

I have read through the ASUS Pro-Art Z690 thread extensively and unfortunately, my local dealer where I have a line of credit, is out of stock of that particular board, otherwise it would be a no brainer. Linked below are the choice of two boards, currently in stock, both with TB4 on the rear IO, that are within my budget. One is Z590 and the other Z690, either one I intend to build with a minimum of 32GB RAM and an AMD card. I may decide on using the AMD 6600 in the DAW and upgrading the video editing computer's GPU. Due to the restrictions of my current case, I would be using air cooling.

@CaseySJ I am aware that you are the master at ACPI for TB4 and I did read in another thread that @askinner97 uses your SSDT for his UAD Apollo with the Z590 board.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO Z590 ATX LGA1200 Gaming
$652.74 Bundled with 11900K

ASUS Republic of Gamers Z690-I GAMING WIFI LGA 1700 Mini-ITX
$859.89
Bundled with 12900K

A simple $200 price difference to use towards RAM, NVME, etc, but as far TB4 audio interface support, which of these two builds are the way to go?

Thank you for your assistance in this particular manner.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the safest choice for a reliable Thunderbolt interface in a Hackintsoh is Titan Ridge (Thunderbolt 3), possibly flashed with a custom firmware for a full Thunderbolt bus. With recent motherboards, that means a Titan Ridge add-in card—and rules out mini-ITX.
Maple Ridge (Thunderbolt 4) has no official driver support in macOS. Some functionality can be achieved, but it's not as complete and as reliable as with Titan Ridge.

@backinblackx86

I agree with @etorix. However there is one exception for on-board TB4 controllers, and that is any Asus Z590 or Z690 board running Big Sur only. For some reason, Thunderbolt Bus gets activated by default with TB4.

Nevertheless, I still recommend a flashed GC-Titan Ridge with Z590 and newer chipsets.

On-board automagically activated Thunderbolt bus is nice. But this being only applicable to Big Sur, not to Monterey or Ventura, is a good example why Maple Ridge is NOT reliable.
Not to mention that "Big Sur only" is somewhat annoying when the cheapest recent supported dGPU (RX 6600) requires Monterey 12.1 or later…

Ok those are important details. To clarify, OS Bigsur will work with the z590/z690, TB4 aka Maple Ridge, but then that requires an older AMD GPU, such as the Polaris based RX560? I do have one of those. A TB3 motherboard would be more than likely be discontinued as with the RX560 for that matter, and BigSur is already outdated 2020. It seems all of the AD/DA interfaces are TB3 anyway.

What about the Asus TB3 or TB4 add on cards, can they be “flashed” ?

Big Sur would take Polaris, Vega or even RX 6800/6900—just not RX 6600.
Motherboards with on-board Titan Ridge are probably Z490 and hard to come by now. But if you want/need to flash to activate the Thunderbolt bus, a Titan Ridge AIC is an easier and safer solution than messing with a whole motherboard. Explanations and repositories of custom firmwares, including for Asus cards, are in the monster Z390 Designare thread.
No Maple Ridge can be flashed because we haven't found where the Thunderbolt firmware is.

All of these very specific details are certainly making the Mac Studio more attractive. I do need to consider my network audio monitoring needs and how to incorporate low latency video as well. Details outside the scope of this forum but certainly deals with all the I/O and choice of OS. Windows 11 vs MacOS, DAW choice, etc.

A joke for everyone here: "WINDOWS, it just works!" LoL

A joke for everyone here: "WINDOWS, it just works!" LoL
Maybe: Windows, it just pretends to work!

We have not had much luck with flashed Asus Thunderbolt cards. The Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge remains the single best choice today. I would go so far as to recommend motherboard without on-board Thunderbolt so we can save money on the main board and buy the GC-Titan Ridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back