Intel HD 4000, 2x 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have just received a brand new Asus Taichi 31 today. I would really want to try to get Mac OS on it. I am normally a mac user and I can live with Windows, but it would be so much better if I had a Mac OS running.

Anyway... The Taichi is a pretty special latop/tablet thing. Namely because it has two screens. One is a tablet screen and the other is a normal laptop screen. And besides some switching hardware and software there really doesn't seem much more to it than a primary and an external display. Otherwise it has an Intel i7 3517U CPU and no external graphics. 4GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. But that doesn't seem particularly important here.

So I used unibeast, installed Mavericks to a USB stick and try to boot the thing. First try was in a "laptop mode" and the thing got stuck at [IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed. I tried it again. This time with -x option - no difference. Then I tried with GraphicsEnabler=no. No difference.

So I tried something else. I closed the laptop and tried booting it in tablet mode. It got a bit further. It got past the point where it stuck before. Basically it just flashed the screen as if it wanted to show the installer. And then nothing. Blank screen. Then the whole thing just went to sleep after a few seconds and I can't do anything to bring it back. Tried it again with -x and again no difference.

I know it is a long shot since this is a very exotic piece of hardware, but does anyone have any ideas on what to try?

I have just received a brand new Asus Taichi 31 today. I would really want to try to get Mac OS on it. I am normally a mac user and I can live with Windows, but it would be so much better if I had a Mac OS running.

Anyway... The Taichi is a pretty special latop/tablet thing. Namely because it has two screens. One is a tablet screen and the other is a normal laptop screen. And besides some switching hardware and software there really doesn't seem much more to it than a primary and an external display. Otherwise it has an Intel i7 3517U CPU and no external graphics. 4GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. But that doesn't seem particularly important here.

So I used unibeast, installed Mavericks to a USB stick and try to boot the thing. First try was in a "laptop mode" and the thing got stuck at [IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed. I tried it again. This time with -x option - no difference. Then I tried with GraphicsEnabler=no. No difference.

So I tried something else. I closed the laptop and tried booting it in tablet mode. It got a bit further. It got past the point where it stuck before. Basically it just flashed the screen as if it wanted to show the installer. And then nothing. Blank screen. Then the whole thing just went to sleep after a few seconds and I can't do anything to bring it back. Tried it again with -x and again no difference.

I know it is a long shot since this is a very exotic piece of hardware, but does anyone have any ideas on what to try?

What is the resolution of the screen(s)?

Both are Full HD - 13.3" 1920x1080

Tried both of them in laptop and tablet mode. Everything is the same as before.

EDIT: Actually it isn't. I used 6 instead of a 9 on my last try. So I got it to get to the installer by putting it in laptop mode and using your second suggestion.

Well. It appears we are stuck on a new unrelated issue now. I wanted to use the partition scheme that was provided by Asus and leave all the windows and recovery partitions alone. There was a Data partition that was empty and I wanted to use. But when I try to erase it with disk utility it gives me a "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" error.

Windows says that it is using GPT (which it should be on such a new laptop) so that shouldn't be the problem.

Well. It appears we are stuck on a new unrelated issue now. I wanted to use the partition scheme that was provided by Asus and leave all the windows and recovery partitions alone. There was a Data partition that was empty and I wanted to use. But when I try to erase it with disk utility it gives me a "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" error.

Windows says that it is using GPT (which it should be on such a new laptop) so that shouldn't be the problem.

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

Note: To boot your UEFI installed Windows, you'll need to use Clover.

I am going insane...

I can't get it to boot with Clover. It always gets stuck somewhere around PCI configuration end... (see the screenshot). Sometimes it hangs at that line, sometimes a bit further but it does hang there.

I've followed this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html
I've also tried doing the same thing but with the Mac installer installed with Unibeast. Same thing. The only thing that I didn't do is install any of the kexts for networking since the wifi card in this thing isn't supported (Intel Centrino advanced-n 6235).

I've also attached the Clover config file that I've used. I've used the standard one from that guide and modified it (hopefully correctly) with the ig-platform-id. I've also tried the original one.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0015 copy.JPG
    DSC_0015 copy.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 225
I am going insane...

I can't get it to boot with Clover. It always gets stuck somewhere around PCI configuration end... (see the screenshot). Sometimes it hangs at that line, sometimes a bit further but it does hang there.

I've followed this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html
I've also tried doing the same thing but with the Mac installer installed with Unibeast. Same thing. The only thing that I didn't do is install any of the kexts for networking since the wifi card in this thing isn't supported (Intel Centrino advanced-n 6235).

I've also attached the Clover config file that I've used. I've used the standard one from that guide and modified it (hopefully correctly) with the ig-platform-id. I've also tried the original one.

Use an appropriate config.plist from this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/128774-hp-probook-installer-clover-edition.html

(You're using a desktop guide)

Ok. Got it to boot through clover with one of the configs from there. But it doesn't seem to change anything. I still can't erase the volume. I've formatted one in windows with exFAT so the installer actually mounts it. But erase still fails.

I did a backup to a few DVDs of all the partitions (as far as I know the backup thing in Windows 8 actually backups the whole volume structure) so maybe I could try to format the whole drive. I apparently don't have much choice. Unless someone has any other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back