MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Smexy.

I have a 3930k sitting on my desk waiting for the rest of it's parts and am inspired. I have a feeling I will be picking your brain over the next month or so, hope you don't mind. Still deciding on a mobo (attracted to a micro atx build but not entirely committed to it).

I've seen your work on the DSDT for the RIVE board and all the help you have offered, keep up the fine work sir :)

Here To Help said:
Phaedin said:
Smexy.

I have a 3930k sitting on my desk waiting for the rest of it's parts and am inspired. I have a feeling I will be picking your brain over the next month or so, hope you don't mind. Still deciding on a mobo (attracted to a micro atx build but not entirely committed to it).

I've seen your work on the DSDT for the RIVE board and all the help you have offered, keep up the fine work sir :)

I love my motherboard and if you have the money the Rampage IV Extreme is the way to go. If not then the sabertooth is nice also but I do not know anyone who has tried it for Mac OS X.

Also for the love of god be careful when inserting the cpu. The cpu cap has the directional triangle on it so do not remove the cap until you have the cpu seated. Also if you lose the cap you void the MB warrenty.

Yah I am seeing all kinds of videos about inserting 2011 CPU's into the socket and how delicate it is, frightening honestly. Will enlist some help from folks I know for sure.

The frugal-guy in me really wants to trim some $ off the mobo expense of this system, but the builder/user in me wants the least hassle. I suspect I will end up spending the cash to make the setup as easy and potent as possible.

I feel a little guilty though since the 3930k is badly wasted on me for what I do on my machine, but I snagged it for $160 via a friend with an inside hookup so I am now obligated to build around it :p

This looks to be a very nice Sabertooth build: viewtopic.php?f=264&t=57962

Any opinion on the micro-atx version of your board, the RIVGene http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131805 ?

Found some bios/dsdt for it here: http://www.osx86.net/view/2796-asus_x79 ... _1005.html

The Micro ATX Ramage is amazing however its small. If you need add on cards and have two gpus your stuck.

That's the debate in my head right now: how likely am I to ever go beyond 1 GPU card, and if I *DO* go to 2 GPU's, will I have need of another PCI card? Not sure.

I'm enamored with the Fractal Mini Arc case, hence the interest in the RIVGene. If I go to the RIVE board I would likely use the Corsair 650D which is very similar to the Fractal Mini Arc, just full size ATX.

Gonna sleep on it. Thanks again.

I've never used a Blu-ray player/writer under OSX, is it fully functional (plays BR's and writes to full capacity)?

Here To Help said:
Phaedin said:
I've never used a Blu-ray player/writer under OSX, is it fully functional (plays BR's and writes to full capacity)?

Yes, Mac OS X natively supports blu ray burning.
No, OS X does not natively support Blu-ray burning. You need a 3rd party app, like Toast, to burn BR disks.

Apple has not put a BR optical drive in any of their Macs, desktop or laptops. Steve Jobs wanted people to use iTunes movies, and it wasn't worth the licensing cost. Now, you see no DVD drives in the new MacBook Airs or Pros. So, you only have 3rd party support. But, that's not bad. Toast is a great product.

Update: As you will see in the later posts, you can burn data BR disks. We learned something from this discussion. However, you'll still need a 3rd party app, like Toast, to burn HD video to BR disks.

This is news to us Moderators. So, you're burning BR disks with a BR optical Drive and getting the full capacity burned? What type of files? Data files? Or HD files? And with what OS X method?

One of the mod's is using the Toast 11 High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-in.

Well, I'll be... We found a mod that had a BR writer and successfully burned a 20GB data disk. So, "Here to Help", you earned your keep for today! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Most of us have regular Sony or Pioneer DVD burners since that's what Apple uses in it's desktop Macs. Other drives would cause installation and/or sleep/wake-up problems. However, I've got a LG BR-ROM on my HacHTPC, but never have used it yet to rip BR disks. So, we learned something today.

This thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back