Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent and Mountain Lion w/ Dual Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I have a quick question.

I'm looking for a cheap card with good OSX 10.8 support and stumbled upon the 5450. I would like to connect two monitors, so after reading this thread I guess that would be via DVI and HDMI.

My question is, is there a particular brand that works best (MSI, Club, Asus, Sapphire,..), or can I buy any 5450 and expect it to work?
Here is a list of models that I can buy:

http://www.alternate.be/html/product/listing.html?navId=1354&tk=7&lk=4186&sort=PRICE

Thanks for taking a look!

I just realized that my 5450 is not using a framebuffer, it shows as HD 5000 and just RadeonFrameBuffer.

Hdmi and Dvi out are working for me and everything looks good. Would there be any benefit to getting a proper frame buffer?

I went through and tried a ton (eulemur, vervet, baboon, cardinal, hoolock) and none would have hdmi and dvi working together.

EDIT: 10:58PM EST
I'm now running Eulemur frame buffer and only hdmi is working.
I've attached my ioreg, rom and dsdt (my dsdt is untouched) if you could work your magic that would be amazing!
Don't forget I'm on 10.7.0 32 bit

Hey, dude.

Yeah, most people happily use their 5450s without a proper frame buffer and without any complaints.
A fully functional framebuffer will mostly give you better performance (albeit relatively marginal i suspect) and improved support in a number of apps and games, especially DVD Player which crashes without a proper framebuffer.

The problem you're having with Eulemur, as it is on your machine, is a classic framebuffer personality issue. Basically OS X is sending the wrong kind of signals to the wrong ports on your card, hence the blank display on certain ports. A quick patch to the ATI5000Controller.kext file generally sorts out the signals and get them talking nicely again.

I've attached a patched kext (OS X 10.7.0) version for your card to test.
Included is a text file containing the outputs from your VBIOS Dump and a quick guide to doing the patch yourself, should you ever need to update OS X (which over-writes this patched file) or should you feel like experimenting a little yourself...

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• klh6686-patch&guide.zip
    217.6 KB · Views: 172
Hey, dude.

Yeah, most people happily use their 5450s without a proper frame buffer and without any complaints.
A fully functional framebuffer will mostly give you better performance (albeit relatively marginal i suspect) and improved support in a number of apps and games, especially DVD Player which crashes without a proper framebuffer.

The problem you're having with Eulemur, as it is on your machine, is a classic framebuffer personality issue. Basically OS X is sending the wrong kind of signals to the wrong ports on your card, hence the blank display on certain ports. A quick patch to the ATI5000Controller.kext file generally sorts out the signals and get them talking nicely again.

I've attached a patched kext (OS X 10.7.0) version for your card to test.
Included is a text file containing the outputs from your VBIOS Dump and a quick guide to doing the patch yourself, should you ever need to update OS X (which over-writes this patched file) or should you feel like experimenting a little yourself...

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I greatly appreciate your help with this issue!

I have tried the kext you gave and this is the results:
Card shows as 5450 1024mb in system info
dpcimanager shows Eulemur with 3 ports

DVI working perfectly
HDMI mirrors dvi and doesn't work by itself
vga doesn't work at all

Does the fact that I'm forcing 32bit for my wireless card play a role here?

I'm curious if I didn't mess up the rom dump, as this line is confusing to me:
"CEARD DDR3 128X16 A5103LAA.CGK -H 2011 "

128x16 = 2048 so that cannot be correct for my card right?

I am studying your included txt file, It has helped me understand more about how to fix this kind of issue!

EDIT:
By studying your included text file, I have made the following changes after comparing files with your guide posted here

I made the following changes to my hex:
Code:
Eulemur Personality: Lion 10.7 Patched (After)
04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 01 02
00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 21 03 04 04
10 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01

Card shows as 5450 1024mb, using uelemur frame buffer. My dvi and hdmi are working fantastic now, together and separate. when using dvi+vga or hdmi+vga shows in display settings, detects monitor and res but displays nothing on monitor.

I can't thank you enough for helping me understand this much so far!

EDIT again:

changed the vga to have the 10 in the 3rd to last position. everything is working great.

Confirmed card can not do three out at the same time. only dual using any combination. You need a card w/ display port for that.

Code:
Eulemur Personality: Lion 10.7 Patched (After)
04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 01 02
00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 21 03 04 04
10 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 01

What are you guys getting on Cinebench 11.5?

I know my processor holds me back a good bit as it's only a dual core no hyper threading.

Sql1tv1.png

Bottom result obviously, the second from bottom is this same system w/ a 6850.

Expose is *ever so slightly* not 100% fluid with two hi res screens (1920x1200 and 1920x1080).

Hopefully soon I can fix it so i don't have to use the wifi card I'm using now then i can move to mountain lion and see if it's any better.

Hi klh6686,

Excellent news! Sorry about the wrong Personality. I totally messed that up when I restored an older version of the .rtf file I had been. Oops!

I'm so glad that you managed to figure it all out, though.
I must say that your VBIOS dump threw me for a bit, as usually there is a separate line of info on the VGA connector dump which gives the txmit and enc value for the VGA port. Each card seems to be slightly different for some reason.
But from what i understand of the the way some of these cards work, is that the single/dual-link part of the DVI connector shares the Digital to Analog conversion with the VGA port. I think?!?
Which is why you can use a DVI ->VGA adapter on the DVI port and drive two analog displays etc.

Now that you have an idea of what to do, it should be easier to re-edit future Kexts for your card and transfer your knowledge to other compatible ATI cards in future. There are bunch of forums (by people MUCH cleverer than myself) discussing the intricacies of framebuffer personality editing and which explain the other groupings of code for each of these lines in Hexidecimal and how best to find the right edit for each value.

But for now you need edit only these three sets for your card.
For other cards that use DisplayPort or LDVS (internal displays on laptops and such) and in turn different framebuffer personalities, you'll need to learn to recognise the first eight digits in each line, which basically specify the type of connector.

For example in the Eulemur personality:
04 00 00 00 = DVI
00 08 00 00 = HDMI
10 00 00 00 = VGA

For other cards you may have to edit the Hot-Plug IDs which are the second-to-last pair of digits on each line.
This is usually a bit of a trial and error procedure, but it usually only takes a few attempts as the number are always 01 to about 06 and none are repeated in any one personality.

Anyway, glad things have worked out for ya....

Ciao!

I have a Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440 monitor on the way. I intend to run it with my current 24" 1920x1200 as well and I'm worried it will be too much for this card.

I will let you guys know how it fares for day to day use and if it doesn't cut it what would be the a good step up that isn't very expensive.

I have a 6850 I was selling with my old main rig (parting out and banking till haswell) for ~90 dollars, should I just hang on to it?

Hi all,

I have read through this thread what must be about 10 times but still have been unable to produce a working kext.

AppleMacIdiot - Would you mind patching my attached kext for 10.7.5?

Attachments

• dj_krypt-kext, vBIOS, IORE.zip
    563.3 KB · Views: 231
Hi Dimanus,

Your files looked mostly fine.
I did notice that your ATI5000Controller.kext file was an older version than the vanilla kext that comes with OS X 10.8.2 and that your edited Eulemur personality appeared twice, which is slightly unusual.

Try installing these new ones I've patched for you, then rebuild your kext cache and restart.
Hopefully this will work.

If this doesn't work, run IORegistryExplorer.app, do a "File / Save As.." and send me the ".ioreg" file.
Please also send me your "org.chameleon.boot.plist" and DSDT.aml file and I'll take deeper look at your setup.

View attachment 46438

In my console i found

17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOAcceleratorFamily - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator - failed to resolve library dependencies.
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator failed to load (0xdc00800e).
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator (error 0xdc00800e).
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController might not load - kextd is currently unavailable.
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator"
17.03.13 20:01:02,000 kernel[0]: Found ATI Radeon 68f9

Do I need to file ATI3000.kext? With ATI3000.kext the system generates an error
I do not use DSDT.aml

The system said with the new ATI 5000.kext - Kextet not loaded. Res 1024x768

Attachments

• dimanus_5450.zip
    410 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back