Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent and Mountain Lion w/ Dual Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I read through the whole thread, but my card is not working.
I have a Club3D HD5450 with 2048MB RAM.

When I first installed the card, the VGA was working. But OSX only recognizes a graphic card with 3MB RAM, so I started to try a few tricks, that can be found over the internet. Than I found that thread here, but also thoses kexts didn't help. Now the VGA is no longer working. The bootscreen appears but than it turns black. The HDMI works.

So, AppleMacIdiot, would you be so kind and create a kext, which is working for me?

I need to install Windows first to give you the informations that you need.
You still need those informations mentioned here, right?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...untain-lion-w-dual-monitors-4.html#post464967

Thank you!

Sure thing, dude.

Before you go through the effort of installing Windows, try searching and downloading the new beta of DCPIManager.app
It is supposed to now let you dump your VBIOS directly from within OS X. Which should save us from fiddling around in Windows. I hope!

Haven't had a chance to test it myself, but it should be worth a try...

Chat later...

Hey,

no need to install windows from scratch. I just changed the SSD with OSX with a HDD with windows installed.
The files are attached.

The VGA is working in a weird way. If I plug in the VGA into the slot of the HD5450 before booting, he recognizes the screen as "2nd monitor". I can see OSX booting and than got this "space-background". If I move the mouse to the right, it appears on the screen. But all the other outputs (DVI and HDMI) stay black.
If I boot with no connection and plug in the VGA after booting into OSX, the screen works as it should. But the other screen(s) stay black. I don't need multi-monitor-support for the moment. But I would love, not to plug out and in the VGA again everytime I start the computer...

Hopefully you can solve the problem! ;)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• hd5450fantomxr.zip
    477.9 KB · Views: 101
Good stuff!

Yeah, that's a classic framebuffer personality issue, where OS X gets confused and transmits the wrong signal to the wrong port on your card and thinks that there might be two displays present. These two edited kexts should sort that out...

Let me know how it goes.

j.

Attachments

• hd5450fantomxr_patched.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
I installed the kexts using kext utility. In org.chameleon.boot.plist I set GE=yes.
Now VGA is not working anymore. I see the bootscreen, I see the apple on grey ground... but than it turns black. HDMI is working.
Even if I boot with no connections made, the screen stays black.

NOTE: You will almost definitely have problems compiling the source with any version of Xcode above v4.2.1. So if you're using Mountain Lion, you might be fighting a loosing battle.

If you have success with the compile, find the resulting 'boot' file (you can leave the other files) in the newly compiled folders in the Release folder and use this to replace the boot file at the root of your Macintosh HD. Note: the current boot file that is already there is invisible, so you might get an error message when you try and copy your new boot file to Macintosh HD. You can use the ShowAllFiles.app to reveal it. Be sure to make a backup (ie. rename it to boot.bak or something). Just in case.

Hi AppleMacIdot,

despite running my system ok, I wanted to give a go at modifiying Chimera but you were right, I could not compile. I managed to fix compile errors, but linker is failing. And that seems hard to overcome, or at least not worth trying. If you have access to Xcode ver 4 could you try and compile and upload the file. I will try it and report if succesfull.
Thanks a ton.

I just realized that my 5450 is not using a framebuffer, it shows as HD 5000 and just RadeonFrameBuffer.

Hdmi and Dvi out are working for me and everything looks good. Would there be any benefit to getting a proper frame buffer?

I went through and tried a ton (eulemur, vervet, baboon, cardinal, hoolock) and none would have hdmi and dvi working together.

EDIT: 10:58PM EST
I'm now running Eulemur frame buffer and only hdmi is working.
I've attached my ioreg, rom and dsdt (my dsdt is untouched) if you could work your magic that would be amazing!
Don't forget I'm on 10.7.0 32 bit

Attachments

• ioreg_rom_dsdt.zip
    566 KB · Views: 89
I installed the kexts using kext utility. In org.chameleon.boot.plist I set GE=yes.
Now VGA is not working anymore. I see the bootscreen, I see the apple on grey ground... but than it turns black. HDMI is working.
Even if I boot with no connections made, the screen stays black.

Hi FantomXR,

Try this one... It has a slightly tweaked VGA personality, hopefully it'll solve your issue.
BTW, which version of OS X are you on? 10.8.2?

Attachments

• hd5450fantomxr_patched_v2.zip
    104.8 KB · Views: 112
Hey!

NICE! That's working.
Thank you so much!! ;)

Okay.... no it's not working, like it should.
The VGA does, but now I get no signal out of the HDMI. I see the bootscreen, but than it turns black. Even without VGA is connected...

Okay.... no it's not working, like it should.
The VGA does, but now I get no signal out of the HDMI. I see the bootscreen, but than it turns black. Even without VGA is connected...

Hmmmm, something does't seem right.
Send me your latest ioreg file and i'll take a look and see if i can make sense of it.

Did you install the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext I sent you originally? Check your Extensions folder, it should be labelled in blue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back