Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent and Mountain Lion w/ Dual Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duhhhhhh,

I had made a mistake!! The fact that you asked me to check again the RadeonAccelerator.kext, made me actually print the .plist file and I found my card was not in the PCI section; i have been looking at 0x68E01 instead of 0x68E11! Anyway, two things, I do have acceleration now after adding my card to the above plist (DVD Player still crashed though) and my card appears as a ATI HD5000. Just to try something different earlier, I installed Chamaleon RC5 prerelease, and failed to boot, so had to use Unibeast to boot into ML. Before reinstalling Chimera from latest Multibeast checked the profiler and my card was being recognized as ATI MObility Radeon HD5400 series 1.
So I am nearly there, at least have acceleration (thanks again for making me check, I was so sure I had added all relevant info), now if you suggest to me what to do next?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• About.tiff
    108.8 KB · Views: 175
Hi, does this card do dual monitors w/ both digital ports (hdmi and dvi) or is it only one digital and one vga?

If not, is there a similarly priced unit that does?

If this can work the sapphire 1gb 5450 is only $32 on amazon and there is a $15 rebate apparently!

I'm looking for something dirt cheap that can run two dvi monitors (vga looks blurry to me at high resolutions) only in a temporary build until haswell is released as I've begun parting out my main machine. Thanks!

Hi, does this card do dual monitors w/ both digital ports (hdmi and dvi) or is it only one digital and one vga?

If not, is there a similarly priced unit that does?

If this can work the sapphire 1gb 5450 is only $32 on amazon and there is a $15 rebate apparently!

I'm looking for something dirt cheap that can run two dvi monitors (vga looks blurry to me at high resolutions) only in a temporary build until haswell is released as I've begun parting out my main machine. Thanks!

Howdy,

Yes it does. You will need to patch your framebuffer personality for fully accelerated multi-display support, but it will work.
I have read that the entire HD 5000 series (Evergreen architecture) using Eyefinity technology is capable of driving three displays, but I have yet to try on my HD 5450 (which I don't use anymore). At the very least you will definitely be able to use both the HDMI and DVI ports at the same time.

Hope this helps...

Howdy,

Yes it does. You will need to patch your framebuffer personality for fully accelerated multi-display support, but it will work.
I have read that the entire HD 5000 series (Evergreen architecture) using Eyefinity technology is capable of driving three displays, but I have yet to try on my HD 5450 (which I don't use anymore). At the very least you will definitely be able to use both the HDMI and DVI ports at the same time.

Hope this helps...

This is fantastic, I will definitely order the card today then!

As I'm sure you've ran into before there's just so much conflicting information on the internet, so I wanted to ask the guys that actually have the board in hand. If anyone else would chime in that has actually done 2 or 3 displays that would be awesome but for the current price on amazon i think i will pull the trigger. Best case I will be the one that provides info that it can do all 3 displays at once and worst case is I return it!

Thanks so much for your reply! I for some reason usually don't get responses when I ask questions on this forum =/.

EDIT: I'm still finding such conflicting information. But first off it appears triple monitor will only work on the pricier units with displayport and you would need to either have a monitor that supports displayport or use a more expensive active adapter.

Also I'm seeing reports that hdmi and dvi do not work at the same time, it's one or the other and vga if you want dual display.

I may try out a dual dvi geforce 210 instead as it will do dual digital for sure.

EDIT 2: good grief it's all so confusing, sources that say hdmi and dvi work together, sources that say otherwise. I am so confused but I'm sick of researching it, I've ordered [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00372X8UC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]powercolor 5450 1GB[/url] and it will be here saturday. If I can get it working great if not I will return it.

erreur de post.

Hi Dimanus,

Your files looked mostly fine.
I did notice that your ATI5000Controller.kext file was an older version than the vanilla kext that comes with OS X 10.8.2 and that your edited Eulemur personality appeared twice, which is slightly unusual.

Try installing these new ones I've patched for you, then rebuild your kext cache and restart.
Hopefully this will work.

If this doesn't work, run IORegistryExplorer.app, do a "File / Save As.." and send me the ".ioreg" file.
Please also send me your "org.chameleon.boot.plist" and DSDT.aml file and I'll take deeper look at your setup.

View attachment 46438

Thank you so much ! This your 2 kexts my Sapphire HD5450 works this QE ! I just add the ID of my graphics card in IOPCIMatch and works great !

Phenomenal!

I ordered my 5450 from amazon yesterday using prime free 2day shipping and I debated on paying for the 1 day shipping. Well the card showed up today anyways!

I just threw it in the machine, booted -v -f to get into the system, added the deviceid to ati5000 and atiradeonx3000 ran kext utility to repair rebooted and she's working fantastic!

EDIT: forgot to mention i'm only on 10.7.0 as my wireless card is only 32 bit.

I will say it loud and clear:

******* Powercolor 5450 1gb amazon link working dual hdmi/dvi as I type this! ********

I will confirm all three outputs **do not** work at the same time in the current configuration.

I couldn't be happier with this cheap card!

Thank you so much for this post, I have a cheap working card to hold me over until I can go Haswell!

Successss! I want tho thank you AppleMacIdiot for your help, I would not have managed on my own. Here is what I did. I Googled and found this http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3043&page=2 . I downloaded the patch file and compared to my DSDT.aml and I was missing the most important bit, the PCI address of my GPU
Code:
Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
. I added that after the line 895
Code:
Device (PEGP)
, changed bellow all definitions to
Code:
"ATY,Eulemur"
and rebooted with
Code:
GraphicsEnabler=No -f
and Bingo!!!!!!!
Two things happened: I still could not play QT or iTunes videos, this was because I had not tried yet to enable sound, I pluged USB speakers and it worked, so beware others. The another is my monitor has never been detected at it's max resolution, starts flickering and all I have to do is unplug HDMItoDVI cable and plug it back to GPU. This has always been the case. However, after opening video files now, the screen starts flickering and if I try to unplug/plug the HDMI cable, gets worse to the point of the screen being unusable. My monitor has no HDMI input, so just dug up a DVI/DVI cable and problem sorted.

AppleMacIdiot, I thank you very much indeed for your help.
Regards.

Note: Attached are my DSDT.aml, the patch from the above website and a screenshot.

MB: Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo, ATI HD5450 1024MB Dev 0x68E11002, Core2Duo

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1 MB · Views: 129
Thanks for the tips. I will follow your suggestion and look at the site for DSDT options. However it is a nightmare; to start with I am struggling with even finding the entry for my Graphics Card (can find the Framebuffer, but looks nothing like the example shown, and all is kind of cryptic!?). That is the reason I need more time, I will try and investigate DSDT, entries, etc before making an attempt. If I do not get anywhere I will write again to see if we can try another way of doing things.
I did try booting with the DSDT you supplied and GE=No but no difference at all. My IOReg explorer is always showing ATY,RadeonFrameuffer@0 in a branch, no matter what. So you are right, seems like Chimera is not recognizing my card, this is also confirmed by the fact I had installed recently Chamaleon from testing branch and all of a sudden my card got recognized as HD5400 Series 1. As I can not boot properly with Chamaleon, I had to reinstall Chimera and back to were I started!
I will try with DSDT, just need a few days to try. I do not like giving up so easy.

Thank you very much for your help!

Argh, seriously don't even bother with the DSDT method unless you REALLY want to. I was just trying to cut a few corners...
I got it to work on my Radeon HD 6670 once, but it wasn't the perfect solution for my machine, so i just went back to the Chimera in the end.

Adding your card to ati.c in Chimera is probably the easiest, especially if you already have Xcode and right GCC / C++ stuff installed and if you know how to compile.

Here's a quick guide to editing ati.c files:

First, you'll want to download the latest source code by running the following command in Terminal.
This will download the latest Chimera Release folder to your desktop:
Code:
svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/branches/Chimera/Release ~/Desktop

Now navigate to the ati.c file in Release/i386/libsaio/ati.c
Open ati.c with either xCode or TextEdit
Search for "Layout is device_id" and you'll see a quick comment/description of what the parameters represent and which ones you need from your card.

Now search for "0x68e1" which is the main PCI ID for your card, you'll see a few results but none exactly match your card's SubSystem ID and SubSystemVendor ID (you can see these in your BIOS dumps you made from redsock_bios_decoder and radeon_bios_decode), which is why your card is not being recognised properly.
Chimera uses these IDs to match your card, assign it a chip family name, a card name and then assign a default framebuffer as you can see below.

The closest result to your card is this one:
Code:
    { 0x68E1,	0x3000174b, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,		"ATI Radeon HD 5450",				kEulemur	},

Copy this entire line and paste it beneath the existing entry.
Now change the 0x3000174b to 0x6000174b
See what we did there? Your card's IDs are SubsystemID: 0x6000 and SubsystemVendorID: 0x174b
So we just changed the existing 0x3000 SubsystemID to your one 0x6000. 0x174b stays the same.
This creates an EXACT match your make and model of card only.

If, for example, you wanted to create an entry for ALL graphics cards that use the 0x68E1 PCI ID (including your card), you could put in an entry like this:
Code:
    { 0x68E1,	0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,		"ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series",				kEulemur	},
This ignores SubsytemID and SubsystemVendorID matching and uses only the 0x68E1 to match ANY cards that use this PCI ID. But as not all cards that use this ID are HD 5450s (there are also Mobility HD 5430s that use 0x68E1), it's best to assign a more generic card name like "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series". In fact this entry already exists in the latest ati.c source, which is why your card was recognised as a Mobility model when you briefly tried Chameleon. You can actually put anything in here that you want, but for accuracy and consistency it's best to follow what has been done already.

You can now save the ati.c file and get ready to compile...

In Terminal go to the Release folder on your Desktop:
Code:
cd ~/Desktop/Release

Now compile* your new Chimera boot file:
Code:
make

*NOTE: You will almost definitely have problems compiling the source with any version of Xcode above v4.2.1. So if you're using Mountain Lion, you might be fighting a loosing battle.

If you have success with the compile, find the resulting 'boot' file (you can leave the other files) in the newly compiled folders in the Release folder and use this to replace the boot file at the root of your Macintosh HD. Note: the current boot file that is already there is invisible, so you might get an error message when you try and copy your new boot file to Macintosh HD. You can use the ShowAllFiles.app to reveal it. Be sure to make a backup (ie. rename it to boot.bak or something). Just in case.

You can now reboot and the new Chimera boot file you just patched will do the rest. ie. Match your card.
In fact you shouldn't even need to specify "AtiConfig=Eulemur" anymore, as Chimera will now automatically assign this to your card when it matches it at boot. WIN!!!

I still have a Snow Leopard install with Xcode on one of my computers, so i'll be able to patch and upload a new version of Chimera boot file for you tomorrow if you're having trouble on your side :)

Chat then...

j.

Hey,

I read through the whole thread, but my card is not working.
I have a Club3D HD5450 with 2048MB RAM.

When I first installed the card, the VGA was working. But OSX only recognizes a graphic card with 3MB RAM, so I started to try a few tricks, that can be found over the internet. Than I found that thread here, but also thoses kexts didn't help. Now the VGA is no longer working. The bootscreen appears but than it turns black. The HDMI works.

So, AppleMacIdiot, would you be so kind and create a kext, which is working for me?

I need to install Windows first to give you the informations that you need.
You still need those informations mentioned here, right?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...untain-lion-w-dual-monitors-4.html#post464967

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back