Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent and Mountain Lion w/ Dual Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha! Yeah, i know it seems like going in circles sometimes. You can lose your mind going through these project, again and again and again.

Excellent news on the Eulmer in IOReg and the GPU-Z! These are VERY good signs! Indeed!
The "5400" reading is merely cosmetic (which we can fix later, if you even want you), but does prove that GraphicsEnabler is in fact working and doing what it should. ie. getting QE/CI and OpenGL recognised and running. WHOOP!

Okay! In GPU-Z you'll see a tiny little chip with the green arrow on it, next to your BIOS Version line. This is in fact a button!
Guess what it does? Oh, yes! It extracts your 5450's ROM/BIN file. THIS is what i'm going to need from you. Don't panic about the OpenCL error as this is probably a drive or Windows related issue and if this was a concern for you we'd probably be talking in some other random Windose forum ;)

If you can send me this ROM/BIN (it's generally quite small ±150kb) file from GPU-Z and your IOReg output from "IORegistry Explorer" (do a "Save As..." and it'll save a .ioreg file). I should be able to pick up everything I need to to custom roll your framebuffer personality and have a 100% functioning card. With multiple-monitor support for all of your connectors, just incase you change monitors later and need that darn HDMI port.

If you also send me your DSDT, I should be able to enable GPU injection (for GE=No and a 100% identified card in Apple SysProfiler) and possibly HDMI audio, to future-proof your setup a little.

Chat soon!

I have added a zip with the park.rom, dsdt and IOReg file. If you need anything else, just let me know. Thanks so much for all your help on this.

Attachments

• ioreg-rom-dsdt.zip
    543 KB · Views: 202
I have added a zip with the park.rom, dsdt and IOReg file. If you need anything else, just let me know. Thanks so much for all your help on this.

Okay. Let's see if this does the trick:

The attached file contains:
1.) Custom edited ATI5000Controller.kext with hex edits to Eulemur framebuffer to match the connectors and such to your (0x68E1) card.
2.) *Optional edited DSDT file to inject / identify your graphics card as 'AMD Radeon HD 5450' at boot + HDMI Audio support when using GraphicsEnabler=No
3.) *Optional edited DSDT file to include HDMI audio support when using GraphicsEnabler=Yes

From what I pulled out of your Park.ROM, it seems that your card is running almost the exact same BIOS as my ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1GB (with Dev ID: 0x68F9:1002). Which is great because i'll be able to test the hell out of these edits when I get back to my home machine (I'm just out of town at the moment).
But I reckon that this should be good enough for dual monitor support as is. It may need one or two more hotplug tweaks for better connector detection. But I have good feeling that I've got it about spot on.
VGA doesn't really seem to detect hot plug connectivity, but if you boot with both monitors plugged in you shouldn't even notice.
To test hotplug capability on the DVI port, boot with only VGA plugged in. Once you have reached the desktop, plug in your DVI monitor and OS X should auto detect the new display and switch to multiple monitor mode. If not go to Displays in System Preferences, hold down the Alt/Option key and the "Detect Displays" button will appear at the bottom right of the window. This will force OS X to find any newly attached displays.

While, hotplug auto-detection isn't such a big deal for most purposes, it does seem to help if you choose to use a DVI-VGA connector or something on your DVI port to drive two monitors via VGA for example. And I would REALLY like to get you a 100% working card if possible. Call me OCD if you want. LOL!

Also... Please, please, please back up your original ATI5000Controller.kext before installing this new one! Safety First!!!
This way if it fails miserably, you can boot with GraphicsEnabler=No and get back to a working display to re-install your original ATI5000Controller.kext

Please let me know if this works for you. I'll also be able to get you better card identification with Chimera and GraphicsEnabler=Yes now that I have your ROM file. I just need to get back to my Hackintosh at home with xCode, so that I can compile another patched Chimera boot file for you.
If it does work, i'll also be able to forward you the Eulemur personality edits I made, so that you can make them yourself for future system updates that affect or replace this kext file. Takes less that a minute. WOOT!

* Otherwise, I can't guarantee how well these edited DSDT will work for you (i'm still perfecting my technique), but as HDMI is not a priority for you right now, you can totally choose to ignore them as they won't make any difference to multiple-monitor support.
The GE=No DSDT, however should have improved identification for your card in Apple System Profiler, but i'm not sure if there are any other potential drawbacks for booting with GE=No on your system. It's worth a try though. If successful, it with negate having to mess around with re-compiling Chimera sources to improve card identification at boot every time there's a new release. Let's just see...

To test one of them, simply keep your original DSDT.aml file in place, then pop one or both of these test DSDT files into the Extra folder next to it (with their names as is) and when you reboot just type this kernel flag (pointing to one of these DSDTs) at the Chimera boot screen: DSDT=/Extra/DSDT_GE_NO.aml
This will temporarily boot with the specified DSDT file (bypassing your original). This way, if it freaks out or Kernel Panics, you can just reboot as normal without entering that kernel flag and your system will revert back to your original DSDT.aml ignoring these test files.
If one of them does work the way you want, then simply backup your original DSDT.aml file and rename the one you want to use as 'DSDT.aml'

Good luck And let me know how things go...

*Fingers crossed*

Attachments

• 5450_0x68E11002_Edits.zip
    120.4 KB · Views: 407
That finally got it working! Thanks so much for all your help on this, it was greatly appreciated. I'm so amazed it took that much monkeying to get working, but I'm definitely glad it got sorted out, if only as a guide for others who might running into the same issues as myself.

That finally got it working! Thanks so much for all your help on this, it was greatly appreciated. I'm so amazed it took that much monkeying to get working, but I'm definitely glad it got sorted out, if only as a guide for others who might running into the same issues as myself.

Great news!

Yeah, these AMD cards take a bit of monkeying around indeed. Most of the time they make a monkey of us, but every now and again we tame the beast! Yay!

I'm hoping to put together a newbie guide to the basic method I use soon. It's not very difficult one you understand all the basic steps, and most importantly, how to recover from any silly mistakes.

I would have given up loooong ago if it weren't for some excellent ground work and guides by other legends around these and other forums.

Like I said before, I'm going to test the hell out of my own 5450 and post any updates for your card soon.

For now... enjoy!

I have discovered a bug. After installing the changes yesterday I no longer have sound. I tried reinstalling the sound fix through Multibeast and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Could that possibly be anything to do with the modified DSDT?

Would you please post your own kexts AppleMacIdiot? I've got the same graphics-card as you do (Asus HD5450 Silent), but I've got a few minor problems. The mouse cursor for instance, lags from time to time, and I've got no picture on DVI only HDMI. I've used this guide here: http://www.osx86.net/view/3043-ati_radeon_hd5450_with_full_qe-ci_suppor_...html

In advance; thank you so much!

Hi Freebird,

Are you using the ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1GB Silent, or the 512MB Silent?

I have both and know that the DevID: 0x68f9 is the same for both cards but the connecter info for the frame buffer edits are slightly different. Strangely enough Modsuperstar's 1GB card with a different DevID (0x68E1) uses the same BIOS rom as my 1GB with DevID 0x68f9, so it uses the same frame buffer edits. Just need to add 0x68f91002 into the Info.plist file in ATI5000Controller.kext i uploaded for Mod, and again in your own AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext (under the Cedar section).

I'll post both Kexts the second I've re-applied those edits to my system, if you prefer to not fiddle around with them yourself :)

Chat soon...

I have discovered a bug. After installing the changes yesterday I no longer have sound. I tried reinstalling the sound fix through Multibeast and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Could that possibly be anything to do with the modified DSDT?

Hey, dude! It's most likely that one of those DSDT files is causing your audio issues. I wasn't convinced that the HDMI edits were 100% as the template I followed for the HDEF edits just didn't seem to add up, even though it looked right
Like i said previously, you can just swap back to your original DSDT and carry on using the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag.
Your multiple-display edits won't be affected in any way and your audio issues should go away.

I need to work on those DSDT edits for my card anyway. The moment I have nailed it, I'll send them along...

Cheers!

Hi Freebird,

Are you using the ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1GB Silent, or the 512MB Silent?

I have both and know that the DevID: 0x68f9 is the same for both cards but the connecter info for the frame buffer edits are slightly different. Strangely enough Modsuperstar's 1GB card with a different DevID (0x68E1) uses the same BIOS rom as my 1GB with DevID 0x68f9, so it uses the same frame buffer edits. Just need to add 0x68f91002 into the Info.plist file in ATI5000Controller.kext i uploaded for Mod, and again in your own AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext (under the Cedar section).

I'll post both Kexts the second I've re-applied those edits to my system, if you prefer to not fiddle around with them yourself :)

Chat soon...
Thank you so much!

I've done the edits myself and now the DVI-port is working and the lagging cursor is gone. The only "problem" now is that the graphics-card-model is displayed as ATI Radeon HD 5000 under system information. Is there a fix for that?

Thank you so much!

I've done the edits myself and now the DVI-port is working and the lagging cursor is gone. The only "problem" now is that the graphics-card-model is displayed as ATI Radeon HD 5000 under system information. Is there a fix for that?

Sorry, FreeBird! My bad. I missed a small edit in the ATI5000Controller.kext for Modsuperstar to do with the VGA connector.

The original Eulemur frame buffer personality for the 5000 series of cards uses an old Encoder ID on the VGA port. I only spotted this now that I'm back in front of my Hackintosh, when I couldn't boot successfully with only a VGA cable plugged in. Good news is that I have an improved Kext you to try out.
@Modsuperstar: if you're reading this you can't give this Kext a bash too, if you have the same issue booting with one monitor via VGA cable that is.

On a side note, if your card is showing up as 'ATI Radeon HD 5000' in Apple System Profiler, it means that OS X defaulted to 'RadeonFrameBuffer', which implies that Chimera didn't recognise you card at and assign 'Eulemur' at boot, or that the new kext didn't load properly. At the very least you should see your card as "ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series" if everything is working.
Try booting with "AtiConfig=Eulemur -f" at the Chimera boot screen.
-f will bypass kernel kext cache and force OS X to re-read all of your kext files.
If you are successful, try using 'Kext Wizard.app' to rebuild system caches. This should save you having to include the -f kernel flag in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file or at every reboot.

Next stop full identification and HDMI Audio...

Will check back soon with some positive results... I hope!

Attachments

• ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1GB (0x68f9).zip
    204.9 KB · Views: 330
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back