Contribute
Register

ASUS prime Z370-A

@Scimitar I have a problem with this system whereby when I shut it down and unplug the power cord from the wall socket, and then 10 minutes later I replug it to the wall socket and turn it back on with the case button, it always forces me to enter the BIOS via F1 and then, without making any changes to the BIOS, it then boots into macOS Sonoma.

However, if I shut it down but leave it connected to the wall socket with the wall switch on, and then turn it back on with the case button, it boots into macOS Sonoma normally.

Any ideas ?

Since the behavior only occurs when disconnecting your computer from the power outlet, my first thought would be that your CMOS backup battery needs to be replaced. Normally, the battery feeds power to your CMOS memory if there's no power coming from the power supply. If the battery is dead and you disconnect the computer from power outlet, the data in your CMOS memory will be reset. The CMOS memory stores your BIOS settings so the motherboard is probably detecting the equivalent of a factory reset and sends you to the BIOS.

Ok will give that a go. thanks.

@Scimitar

Success!!! Replaced the old CMOS battery which was reading 1.5v with a new one and no problems now...

Also, will be buying an ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5700 Dual EVO OC.

I think that is a Navi card (??) and I need to add agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM part of the config.plist.

The config.plist is currently set up for the iGPU only.

Do I need to remove the iGPU part from the config.plist?

Is there anything else I need to do to the config.plist to get the 5700 to work ?

Last edited:
Success!!! Replaced the old CMOS battery which was reading 1.5v with a new one and no problems now...

Glad that your problem is resolved. :)

I think that is a Navi card (??) and I need to add agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM part of the config.plist.

The 5700 is a Navi 10 series card so you'll definitely need to add that boot argument to your config.plist for the card to function.

Do I need to remove the iGPU part from the config.plist?

No, you can leave the iGPU settings in place as they shouldn't interfere. If nothing else, the iGPU can serve as a fallback in case you ever need to troubleshoot your system in the future.

Is there anything else I need to do to the config.plist to get the 5700 to work ?

I'm not running a discrete GPU so I can't say with certainty but it seems like your bases are covered. However, I recommend that you peruse this thread if you haven't already:

Good luck!

Will report back after I receive and install the card.

I have updated the EFI for our motherboard to OpenCore 0.9.5.

I have tested both the 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 (No OCLP patch) versions of your EFI using Z370-A/Ethernet only.

Sonoma version macOS 14.1.1 seems to run just fine with your previous OC version 0.9.4 EFI.

However, when I downloaded and ran the OC 0.9.5 EFI for the Z370-A mobo there was a problem - on launching macOS 12 or 13 or 14 - where the progress bar below the Apple logo remained empty and the OS did not launch.

Are there any particular differences, e.g., fake_ID for instance, between the 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 versions of the EFI?
Per Signature/300 Series-1 - graphics from dGPU/RX 6600 XT, not iGPU/HD630.

Last edited:
However, when I downloaded and ran the OC 0.9.5 EFI for the Z370-A mobo there was a problem - on launching macOS 12 or 13 or 14 where the progress bar below the Apple logo remained empty and the OS did not launch.

That's very odd. I haven't had any issues booting from either of the 0.9.5 EFI folders on macOS 13 or 14 (I didn't try macOS 11 or 12).

Are there any particular differences, e.g., fake_ID for instance, between the 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 versions of the EFI?

My edits were minimal between the two versions of OC for the ethernet-only EFI. I just updated the various kexts to the latest versions and let OCAT add a few config.plist parameters unique to 0.9.5 (which were all set to their respective defaults).

I have a dGPU - Gigabyte RX 6600XT 8GB - whereas I believe you use HD630. Would this make a difference with Version 0.9.5?

I wouldn't think so based on just an OC update. If the card was working with 0.9.4, I don't see any reason why 0.9.5 would have broken dGPU support.

Please try the attached config.plist where I've added the -v verbose flag so that you can see where the boot is hanging.

Attachments

• config.plist
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
I've added the -v verbose flag so that you can see where the boot is hanging.
Thanks for the debug config file. Murphy was obviously at work yesterday since both the debug and non debug versions of the OC 0.9.5 EFI are launching macOS 13/14 just fine today. Must have been a corruption of either the boot-args string or the Platforminfo values - now fixed. many thanks!

Murphy was obviously at work yesterday since both the debug and non debug versions of the OC 0.9.5 EFI are launching macOS 13/14 just fine today.

Yeah, I really hate that guy! ;)

Must have been a corruption of either the boot-args string or the Platforminfo values - now fixed. many thanks!

Glad it's working now. It was a bit of a head scratcher. :)

@Scimitar

Reporting back. Success !!!

Received and installed my RX 5700 and had some trouble getting it to boot.

I had already added agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM part of the config.plist and initially it would just hang.

I then added -v to the boot args to see the output as it booted and found it would stop at:

[ PCI Configuration Begin ]
IOPCIConfigurator::configure kIOPCIEnumerationWaitTime is 900

When I googled this, I found a post that suggested to disable Resizable Bar in the Bios and voila, it works !

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 23.42.17.png

Last edited:
Back