Contribute
Register

Asus P9X79 PRO - USB 3.0 + Other Success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU
i7 3930k OC 4.5GHZ
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 680 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to know if any of "Asus P9X79 PRO" owners got USB 3.0 working and other stuff like SATA 3 or FIREWIRE?

Planning on doing a 3930K build with this board and a GTX 670/680. Any advice?

Best
Dave

Yeah I have the same specs you are looking at P9X79 Pro 670GTX and used EasyBeast. You have to type in a few things on the command line to start up -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No
Use UniBeast onto a USB 8 or 16GB Drive. You have to download from the App Store in Lion or Mountain Lion then UniBeast will extract it properly to boot.

I can't get USB3 going and don't try the kexts on MultiBeast as the Cal driver will lock you up even in safe mode. I was quick enough to delete the Kext and recover my system after 5 tries.

Sound doesn't work and I am looking for both USB3 and Onboard sound right now to figure it out.

Use Hnak Intel Ethernet in MultiBeast the SATA should EasyBeast no prob. I am using the eSATA port too.

You will also have to edit the SMbios.plist and add <key>SMcputype</key><string>1281</string>

Also add to the boot.chameleon.org.plist Kernel Flags the npci and pciroot from above, and check for the Graphics Enabler section in the same file making sure it says GraphicsEnabler=No. Type at the boot -v with the CPUS=1 in until you get a kext called VoodooTSCSync.kext after everything is setup run KextBeast with that Kext on the desktop and you will enable all 12 Cores.

That is pretty much it. CineBench ran at just under an 18 Core score on my system without any DSDT. The graphics rock too.

Could you post your exact Multibeast settings? I've been stuck for days with this exact setup from kernel errors to basically everything else I could come across. I have little to no programming experience so this is that much more difficult. Also I apologize for my lack of knowledge here when asking questions.

My largest problem is no matter how I finally get into Mountain Lion, I can never boot off the HD, only the USB. If photos of error screens are needed I can take them.

I followed your exact directions and get to the apple logo then to black. I lose video at the black screen. Please help thanks!

I have a monster i am trying to build, didn't want to buy a mac pro tower that was designed with 2010 parts....
so here is what i am hoping to MacProCreate....
asus P9X79 WS
Nvidia "Titan" whoa!
Corsair Vengance 1600 (64gb)
crucial M500 960gb.
Liquid cooled
(2) LG Blu Ray
Hitachi ultrastar 2 tb for pgms.
I live on a mac now but it is from 2005 and way outdated but still runs fine.
i want to use it for photoshop and premier and need the CUDA Graphics.
can it be done?
I could do it in the PC world but work much more comfortable on a mac.
Thanks
Tab

Yes CUDA can be done. You need to use the CUDA hack. I don't have specific instructions available but I got mine to work by googling CUDA OSX Adobe, and it gives a pretty good boost in AE and Premiere.

@ mkoziel
You need to know more of the basics. This is a little more advanced but once you understand the process it is very easy to do.

The MultiBeast settings I use are EASYBEAST it is easy to overlook that when I say I use Easybeast thinking it is a separate program. But since there is no DSDT for this board that is pretty much the way to go. Then you have to follow the other directions. Kextbeast for the VoodooTSynch.kxt This is to get all cores. Editing the other variables is only so you don't have to type them everytime you boot. The audio won't work so just buy a Sabrent USB audio and it plugs n plays. $10 at Frys. Pretty sad that the onboard audio is not available. You will have an error for Quicktime if you try to play a Video file without Audio available.

I have Asus P9X79 Pro and Nvidea GTX680, is working with ML10.8.3, working onboard audio, bluthoo, USB2.0, network, and CUDA enabled. Not tried yet USB3.0 is not working.:thumbup:

Yes! Would love to know the fix for USB 3.0 as well. Otherwise, everything else seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back