Graphics
XFX Radeon 6870 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Got around to rewrite this finally. Sorry its been a big fun as things develop and change so quickly on the hackintosh scene. Guide now includes basic DSDT, fun Clover EFI V2, and my continued attempts to make the last few things work well.

As aways, Specs!:
Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K @ stock
Asus P8Z77-V Premium /w 2003 Firmware & patched to avoid kernel panic
16 GB DDR3 2133 Mhz 11-11-10 timings
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
OCZ Vector SSD 512 GB

Integrated Components:
Z77 AHCI SATA Controller (2x 6gbps, 3x 3Gbps all on board)
Z77 USB controller (4x USB 3.0 [2 back 2 header], 6 USB 2.0 [2 back 4 header])
ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller (2 USB 3.0 [back])
Marvell PCIe 9230 controller (4x SATA 6gbps on board)
ASMedia PCIe SATA Controller (2x eSATA 6Gbps [back])
Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC
Intel 82583 Gigabit NIC
Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec
Single 10 Gbps Thunderbolt
Broadcom 20702A0 BT 4.0 Controller
Broadcom 43228 802.11 A/B/G/N Wi-Fi Controller

Disk Layout:
disk0 OS X 10.8.4 (Build 12E55) /w Clover EFI V2 r1858
disk3 Windows 8 EFI/GPT install
disk2 Time Machine
disk4 Ubuntu 13.04 EFI/GPT install

Before We Begin:
Understand this is an incomplete hackintosh build at this point. It works sure, but not every component is fully working and there are still a few little issues here and there. Also I am transitioning away from the TonyMacX86 approach and files. It works ok for Gigabyte based builds, but if you are reading this you want a solid reliable and long term supported Asus mobo over Gigabytes... well what I have found to be lacking support over the years. Now don't get me wrong, I like Gigabyte, its fine if you want to run just OS X and nothing else. I just find for my needs Asus offers more options, control, and better support long term over my 4 year ownership of my systems then Gigabyte does... and since TonyMac's tools are more about Gigabyte support I just want it to be clear, I don't use them anymore because for generic PC UEFI there are now better tools then Multi-Beast /w Chimera.
Also this is not an "idiot's guide" and I wont include detailed hold your hand walk-throughs as I am still working on the optimum balance between all of the varius tools and projects out there for this platform. Lastly, there are bugs sometimes between multi-os sharing with these tools and OS X in general. I find sometimes I need to use the BIOS/CMOS reset when there is strange USB behavior after taking some steps or something doesn't shut down cleanly. Apple is vary deliberate and controlled on their hardware for a reason, us being able to get stuff to work is more a "free bonus" of sorts then intended or real OS support. Keep that in mind as you read this and other posts in the hackintosh community. This isn't for the feint of heart... yet.

What Works:
* Everything that is basic computer fun time. Booting, restart, games, clicking, mouse, keyboard, etc.
* Speedstep generally works unless your over-clocking and then you normally need a modified SSDT with your new ratio layout. Remember OS X expects to just grab this information direct from the hardware's defaults and not see over-clocking or other modifications.
* SSD Trim (/w third party patch for non-apple SSDs)
* Ethernet, both ports work fine and generally both at the same time without issue. My mobo is a bit odd in that sometimes after a cold boot the second Ethernet port wont be brought up but a reboot always solves it. This is mostly from an old NIC firmware bug that seems to be only half fixed and most likely partially my fault for not catching it in time.
* OpenGL, OpenCL, 2D HW acceleration, Multi-monitor, etc for the discrete card.
* All Sata & eSata ports work mostly OOTB in my experience. This is even more true of the third party ports with the DSDT edits.
* All USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 ports with DSDT. Without DSDT you just get to experience they joys of only the Intel ports working.
* ALC898 Audio does work, though I am still working on getting it to work with JUST DSDT edits.
* Thunderbolt port works, though doesn't appear in the list of Thunderbolt devices under System profiler.

What Doesn't Work:
* Onboard Wifi & Bluetooth still doesn't work. I understand there are ways to get this to work via DSDT edits or third-party kexts, but so far it eludes me with a lack of clear instructions or an indication of it working on THIS platform.
* Some things just aren't showing up under System Profile correctly like a real mac, it works, but is just listed or missing entirely.
* AirPlay steaming doesn't work because I haven't yet gotten the integrated Intel HD loaded in the background via DSDT edits while also having my discrete graphics as default display device. Normally when I try to get both going I get Kernel warnings and errors resulting in everything slowing down to a crawl. I hope to pick PPJALM's brain about this sometime but the site's PM system has been acting strangely for me the last few days.
* AirDrop doesn't work because it requires WiFi for its OOTB implementation. You can use the terminal setting and make it fallback to the ethernet connection, but to me its not quite as intended by Apple and thus I consider it not quite working.

Install Technique: [STILL UNDER REWRITING!!!]
1) Collect items you need for installation. Its best if you generate your own files if possible based on your own system's setup but I do have the basic items in a zip for you HERE.
1a) Use the instructions HERE to generate your own patched Asus UEFI BIOS and use BIOS Flashback to apply it. This will always give you the latest patched BIOS for your Asus so long as you get the latest Asus BIOS update and apply the patch to it. Also make sure you get the naming right and remember OS X will by default hide the extension so you may end with with it accidentally labeled Z77VPR.CAP.CAP and wonder why its not loading off of the USB pen drive when you press the flashback button
1b) Generate a patched DSDT using the instructions HERE if you already have OS X running on your P8Z77-V Premium mobo using an earlier method. Remember to follow these instructions exactly and when in doubt DONT APPLY EDITS. I haven't added the Graphics Edits for exactly this reason (yet).
1c) Collect the required Kexts/Utilities by getting the latest from the following locations:
* Clover EFI V2 "stable" from HERE
* FakeSMC from HERE
* AppleIntelE1000e.kext from HERE
* Voodoo HDA from... someplace. :p
2) Do the following on another mac or OS X install: Use a USB pen drive of at-least 8 GB in size and format it as one large GPT HFS+ disk in Disk Utility. Now make sure you have the latest 10.8.4 OS X installer from the Appstore and right click on it and "Show Package Contents." Go to Contents -> SharedSupport -> and make a note of InstallESD.dmg as this is important. Use Disk Utility to restore InstallESD.dmg to the USB partition you just made on your pen drive.
3) You almost have a basic USB pen drive installer for your platform! Once its done open up the new OS X Install partition (blanking on exact naming right now) and open up another finder window containing all of those things I had you download in 1c and generate in 1b.
3a) open up the zip of Clover EFI I had you download and install it to your PEN DRIVE with the following settings: Check "Install for UEFI motherboards", under Themes select metal, under Drivers64UEFI tick OSxAptioFixDrv-64, and go down to UNCHECK install Clover Preference Pane. Install as normally AFTER double checking the install location is the USB Pen drive installer partition you made earlier.
3b) In your finder windows you should see a new Device/Partition listed as "EFI" that is really the EFI partition on your pen drive. Open it up and stare at the amazement and wonder that is Clover and ooo and aaah. Navigate to the folder EFI -> Clover and get used to this screen for a few moments. Now I need you to do the following:
* using the DSDT.aml you generated earlier place it in ACPI/patched.
* place FakeSMC.kext into the folder kexts/10.8
* if you want ethernet to work when booting from the installer throw it in the folder kexts/10.8 where you put Fake.SMC too.
* open config.plist in a basic text editor. If you want you don't have to do much of anything here. I am including an edited config.plist containing BASIC information needed to boot the installer in the zip if you want to use it. If not you can get practice looking it over and referring to the Clover EFI wiki to see all of the frightening power this gives you. All you HAVE to do is make sure metal is the string for the key Theme or we can get some strange missing graphics when we boot.
4) Congrats you has essentially made a bare bones USB installer that will work on the Asus P8Z77-V Premium motherboard! To install restart your computer and follow the following basic procedure:
4a) Go into your UEFI BIOS by holding down Delete OR F2 when its POSTing. The basic settings you want to tick are:

thanks for the info i have

ASUS nvidia GTX 680
same mobo as u
same CPU as u i7 ivy bridge 3.5gz
16 gb of corsair ram i dont remember my time settings
OCZ 256 gb SSD
i have OSX installed on a 2 terabyte drive
dont need wireless atm but have the onboard one
the only thing i dont have working that i need is the sound but when i use the voodoo one the sound is ****ty and i have to turn my speakers all the way up which is unacceptable when i want to use this "mac" for garage band and stuff like that lol
does the ID that tells OSX which comp u have really make that much of a difference? also i had KP very soon into boot over and over again i couldnt figure out why and then i did a fresh install now im like paranoid to install some of the multibeast kexts, chimera boot loader wont work so i have to use the flash drive to boot every time, any help or input would be appreciated thanks :)

Hi,

Any update ? Did you manage to make the thunderbolt working ?

I would like to setup the same config but I really need the thundetbolt as my exernal raid and ultrastudio card are TB based.

the only thing i dont have working that i need is the sound but when i use the voodoo one the sound is ****ty

Does thunderbolt is working ?

im using the same motherboard and i can make sure the thunderbolt working perfectly with promise raid R4 and R6.... just put the power on first then startup your computer hope that helps

ok so i got most working with minimal work but i updated to 10.8.3 and it broke my sound now i cant get it to work =/ im not worried abut thunderbolt i just want my sound thats like it lol

im using the same motherboard and i can make sure the thunderbolt working perfectly with promise raid R4 and R6.... just put the power on first then startup your computer hope that helps

I have the same motherboard but Thunderbolt does not appear in the System Profiler.

Are you saying that if I connect my Promise R6 before booting that the system will then recognise the Thunderbolt port and devises?

Will have to give that a try after the weekend.

OK so I managed to test my system this morning.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Intel Core i7 3770K
Corsair 16GB RAM
No GPU - Using the HD4000 on the MB

The system sees my Thunderbolt RAID (Promise Pegasus R6). It'll even drive my old Apple HD display connected to the 2nd port on the R6 via an Apple Displayport Mini to DVI adaptor.

System profile still does not list Thunderbolt tho. Not really an issue as long as it's working.

:)

Sorry for being silent for so long, got a few auto destructs on this build that has seen OS after OS needing to be reinstalled from scratch. OS X messed up and a bunch of strange behavior out of 10.8.3 caused me to re-install that overwrite GRUB2 and flooded my UEFI Bios with OS X listings... then re-installing ubuntu messed up my Windows 8 UEFI install with it corrupting the recovery partition (what the hell?) Now everything is back to fun and working. Note I don't have anything to plug into my Thunderbolt port yet so I can't verify this if you plug it OS X will come idea. Also I have officially moved away from the tonymac tools, they are getting quite outdated and is missing the new wave of UEFI friendly or advanced chameleon alterations being made with other bootloaders and automated packages.
So this week I hope to completely rewrite the first post with everything I have found to get it working. On the plus side I now have third-party USB 3.0 working and moved to a few different kexts for personal enjoyment. Everything is coming together but I think it will be some time still before I switch to a "pure" UEFI environment for all OSs, so no Clover 2.0 yet for default boot. Now if I can just get BT and WiFi working I will have everything I could want working out of the box. Awsome. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back