CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 - all good except OC

hello,

i am running ML 10.8.1 without any significant problems at stock speed.

Benchmark scores on ML 10.8.1 @ 3,41 are (in brackets are scores of the same machine running Win7 64bit @ 4.7 stays under 75°, VCORE around 1.4v when Intelburn testing):

Geekbench:
13040 - 64bit (Win OC: 19681)
11165 - 32bit (Win OC: 14440)

Cinebench:
OpenGL: 38.29fps (Win OC: 68.58 fps)
CPU: 6.52 pts (Win OC: 9.12 pts)

I have flashed my BIOS to P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3-ASUS-3402_modified.ROM, with the stock BIOS Mountain Lion would KP at boot.
I extracted my DSDT on the ML Hackintosh i'm trying to configure and then patched it with the P8 (generic) BIOS 3xxx.txt, repaired the errors i was getting according to instructions of this forum and then compiled and installed it via Multibeast. I then enabled the overclocked SSDT from Multibeast (i had to install an SSDT in order for the system to function at full stoc speed, without SSDT it would only run at half speed). IntelEthernet and all SATA 3G/6G ports are working allright, disk sleep works, FW400 works with all devices including bus power (except one weird Lacie external: Little Big Disk QUadra 1TB ... it's actually a RAID of two 500Gig 5400 2.5" drives but is sold as a 7200rpm 1TB, so it's not a standard thing, and it won't mount, appears in SysMonitor perfectly but not in Disk Utility or under /Volumes, but works perfectly on any 'real' mac).

I have tried both the switches TPU and EPU on the board and the machine boots and works without problems with either combination of on/off .. so for now i left them to ON for both since this seems to be a usefull mainboard feature from ASUS. Not sure if this will come into play getting OC to work ... ?

now ... fond of this initial success i have tried overclocking the board to 4200 (which i believe is the maximum of the Multibeast SSDT) via BIOS, tried any number of settings i could find here in the forum ... without success. As son as i change the overclock settings to anything other than defaults auto/auto ML only runs at half speed, giving me a GB score of around 6k. I tried both only setting the speed to 42 in the advanced page and using the AI tweaker page, nothing seems to work.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here ...

The only other issues i have so far:

1. Trim doesn't seem to be working, even after re-installing it from Multibeast, at least it says it's not supported in system profiler
  2. Fan control is definitely not working, the fans don't seem to be changing speeds depending on processor load, they all seem to always run on the same speed (have 3 chasis fans and 2 cpu fans), on Windows i can hear the fans ramping up when i stat rendering or priming

but none of these issues are real show-stoppers for me, but t would be nice to be able to run at higher clocks since i have a great CPU and chassis cooling ... in W7 i can get an ultra-stable 4,7 Ghz staying under 75° max after a couple of hours of Prime, so jumping from 3.41 to 4.8 on the Mac side would sure be super nice

over all i'm quite happy i got this setup, hope to figure out the details later

Attachments

• extras_p8z68vprogen3.tar.gz
    117.5 KB · Views: 298
  • P8genericBIOS3xxx.txt.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 212
  • p8z68vprogen3_extractedUnmodified_dsdt.aml.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 221
I have the same board. What I did was use a DSDT that someone else posted for it, removed NullCPU, and overclocked to 4400. I patched my bios (3402). My overclock works- albeit with only 2 P-States- 1600 and 4400, but that's absolutely fine, since under moderate/low load at 1600, it runs at low voltage/temps, but gets to 4400 when it needs to.

Stucked on this problem too

hi discopimp, can you get overclock working on OSX finally?
(for me, if I choose SSDT in multibeast then Geekbench only 5000. if without SSDT and disable SpeedStep in bios then 12000). If OC in Win7 x64 Geekbench at 16000. So I want to OC in OSX also~~~)

hi discopimp, can you get overclock working on OSX finally?

no .. i gave up .. it doesn't matter so much to me since i use software that runs on pc and mac .. so when i need more umpfh for 3D-rendering i just fire up windows.. i've looked into this many times and decided it's too complicated to get working ... everything else works perfectly so i just don't want to waste the time trying with a new DSDT or sth like that ...

would be nice if someone figures this out some day, but not a showstopper for me

hi discopimp,

try this: set OC manual by "PER CORE" then each set to 42 one by one. if OC by "ALL CORE" and input one "42" will not able to OC thus run at x16.

If you want to OC over x42 then you can add more p-state into the SSDL that came from Multibeast. I added to x45 then set "manual PER CORE 46" now can run ML with max speed + SpeedStep power saving!

Hope this can help you!! ^_^

try this: set OC manual by "PER CORE" then each set to 42 one by one. if OC by "ALL CORE" and input one "42" will not able to OC thus run at x16.

If you want to OC over x42 then you can add more p-state into the SSDL that came from Multibeast. I added to x45 then set "manual PER CORE 46" now can run ML with max speed + SpeedStep power saving!
This is really not a good idea. You should set it to four different frequencies. Giving you three additional P-States with power management. And use this http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html script to generate the ssdt_pr.dsl Works for Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors.

Tip: You may also want to look at ACPI Master Class DSDT / SSDT combo. Much more fun to work with, but your processor has 8 instead of 4 logical cores. In short: strip the cruft out of your DSDT ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back