Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been a long-time reader of these boards, and Multibeast made creating my first Hackintosh easy. Now I'm happy to move toward an upgrade as we'll be having a garage sale in a month. I don't have a lot of spare time due to Medical School, so I don't want to have to mess around getting things to work, though small troubleshooting is OK. My other prerequisite is that this is about as fast as I can get without the hassle.

Build:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Hopefully OC'd to 4.4
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
GIGABYTE GV-R687SO-1GD Radeon HD 6870
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Question Onslaught (any answers would help - I'll add them in quotes):
  • What custom settings would I need to use if I were to use a retail DVD, Multibeast, and iBoot (+ anything else?)?
    I'm not sure about the Z68 boards, but it looks like the P67 boards work pretty flawlessly with the new Chimera 1.4.
    [/*:m:2hi57vvx]
  • Would the Graphics card require anything other than GraphicsEnabler=no?[/*:m:2hi57vvx]
  • Will all the outputs on that Graphics card work by default?[/*:m:2hi57vvx]
  • What's the newest info about getting USB3 on the Asus motherboard to work? Easy?[/*:m:2hi57vvx]
  • Would a Gigabyte UD4 or UD5 be more compatible with OSX in general than the Asus? (i.e. more native drivers, fewer hickups.)
    I think I read something in these forums about it taking more work to get the Asus bios working. Also, Chimera and other updates seem to come out for the
  • I'm confused if the Gigabyte MB's do or do not support Quick Sync in OSX with things like FaceTime HD. Asus MB's?
    It appears that the energy-saving, Video card-switch Lucidlogix Virtu support is not available in the UD5. This feature is also currently not supported by OSX as they use a different method for graphics switching. However, the early implementation of a Z68 motherboard in the iMacs might lead to porting of the drivers required to do it that way. Regardless, it will not work with the Gigabyte board.
    Source: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... ard/1274/8

As PCSTATS mentioned, the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard does not have any onboard video ports, so integrated graphics and things like Intel Quick Sync cannot be used.
    Source: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2594

FaceTime HD supports Quick Sync on Apple's Sandy Bridge Macs. Source:Anandtech. I can only imagine that the next updates of iLife and Final Cut Pro will take advantage of it too.
  • Any other MB's with >4 DIMM's?
    Looks like the Z68 chipset might be limited to 32GB of RAM. I'm still not sure if this is a 4 slot limit (with 8GB RAM) or if it is 32GB no matter how many slots.
  • Anyone know of any RAID 0 SATA III enclosures that could house two Vertex 3's?
    I contacted OWC to see if they have any equivalent options (their Sandforce Chipset SSD performance is identical to the Vertex 3, and they said they do not currently have something like this.

I've tried to do my due diligence in finding these answers first. Before I go out an buy these computer parts, I would like to know what I'm up against.

Thanks in advance.

Edit 1:
Found another forum post with a person working through many of the same components. Still would appreciate help answering questions.

Re: Top-Spec'd Z68 Build

I am planning to create my second hackintosh with Sandy Bridge

I realize Asus P8Z68-V PRO is not using Renesas (NEC) USB 3.0 chip. It also happens in P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1). Don't know whether it will cause any incompatibility. Anyway, it looks like Asus is cutting cost.

So I am thinking Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 or Asus P8Z68 DELUXE at the moment. It looks like UD5 is more likely to be compatible (UD4 is non-NEC USB3) but Deluxe seems to have a better NIC (but more expensive).

BTW, is Asus P8Z68 DELUXE is compatible?

I'm feelin the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 too. I will primarily be using this HackPro as my audio workstation.

Considering:
Intel Core i7-2600K
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

I posted this build here too.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19669&p=127724&sid=5ef041a6a9175882b2acd97e71eff684#p127724

hey yall,
i have the same question as well. cannot decide which motherboard to take the plunge with. i'm deciding over a GA-Z68X-UD4 or GA-Z68X-UD5 or GA-Z68X-UD7. i have already bought all of the other components besides the mobo.
i have read one person who's currently working with an asus p8z68-v pro board and that seems encouraging viewtopic.php?f=79&t=19888&hilit=z68.

edit: just bought an asus p8z68-v pro, figured i'd try and just follow the lead of my fellow posters who have gone that route. hope to begin building sometime this week when i get my mobo in!

Re: Top-Spec'd Z68 Build - Q&A's

I finally found an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe. I went with that because of the USB3 chipset, the LucicLogix Virtu support, and the overclocking potential (based on P67 Deluxe reports).

I'll let everyone know how that works. I'm still delaying on the video card. Any suggestions based on benchmarks and ease of use yet?

Working on getting everything to work now and last night. I've got a step-by-step coming. I'm using my old 8800GTS until the new CustoMac recommendation comes out.

Looking forward to your step-by-step. I have an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe and 2600k also and would like to get it up and running like as solid and stable as my Gigabyte UD3R and i7 930. I'm using my 9800 GT Silent Cell to cut down on possible variables that might hinder my progress. I've gotten as far as installing 10.6.3 and the 10.6.7 update but don't really know what I'm doing with multibeast, so I just click off boxes here and there. :lol:

When I get a chance I'll type out what I have done so far.

I have sound, Bluetooth, presumably USB 3 all working fine. The system is very stable Unfortunately I got frustrated working through getting SpeedStepper to work. That means my overclocking multiplier is not working and though I can run at 4.8ghz I'm stuck at 3.4. I'm waiting for 10.6.8 or Lion. 10.6.8 should be here in a week or less - the developer releases are 4 days apart. Tonymacx86 has said he'll give the recommendations when that comes out. Lion is also only a month away. With my schedule, I'd rather only have to do all this tweaking once, and I view the risk of Lion as having to repeat it all with new potential problems.

Alright, here's what I have going now. As I said, the multiplier is only at 34, and everything isn't working.

1. install normally with iBoot 3.0.4, all 16GB RAM in place
2. upgrade to 10.6.7 via combo updater
3. Reboot with iBoot disk still in place.
4. Run Bridgehelper (Not sure if this did anything.)
5. Run Multibeast, selecting items you see from http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 68_DELUXE/
- for audio kexts - 1st and 3rd options (889 only)
6. Select Multibeast 64-bit mode on reboot (in boot options)
7. Select Multibeast iMac12,2 system definition
8. Select Multibeast FakeSMC
8b. Select NullCPUPowerManagement if you are NOT doing Speedstepper.
9. Select System Utilities
10. Reboot WITHOUT iBoot
11. Bluetooth instructions that work - viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18410
12. SpeedStep instructions here (didn't get working) - viewtopic.php?f=79&t=21698

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back