XFX Radeon HD 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
***Re-posted the guide but this to used only for support.***

First of all I want to thank Tony and the rest of the tonymacx86 family and all the members here. Kudos also goes to various other forums such as insanely-mac etc...

Not really good at writing guides and I sifted through thread after thread, and forum after forum to finally get Mountain Lion installed. I'll try my best to give the steps I used in order to get my asus board with a xfx 6850 dual fans up and running. Hopefully this can help so others with the same specs.

Clean Install w/ Windows 8 Dual Boot.

1. Used the UniBeast 1.5.2 Install method (might be a newer version now)
a. Since I have a 6000 series graphics card I had to remove the ATI6000Controller.kext (located in S/L/E. You might have to download ShowAllFiles in order to see it because it's hidden) from the USB Installer in order to get to the actual Mountain Lion Installation screen.

2. After having ML installed I booted once again from the USB Installer but proceeded to go the the actual ML Partition instead of the Installation screen from the USB Installer. Ran through all the setup process and had a working desktop. The only problem I ran into was with iCloud & app store not logging in (facetime too). I have a PCIe WiFi card that works natively with Mountain Lion and that was recognized but realized it was taking priority over the on-board Ethernet. *(more on that later)

3. MultiBeast & Plist - Now this was a lot of fun. After several failed attempts I finally found the right combo for me. (I can post a picture but i'm not sure how to do that yet)
a. I had to delete a few lines from my .plist in order to get some of the items to install successfully from multibeast.
This is how mines looks after getting rid of what I needed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Lotus</string>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

*Note: I'd imagine this is only with an Asus P67 board and XFX Dual Fan 6850 combo. From what i've read on other forums and threads here. There are better FrameBuffers to use for a 6850 but Lotus was the only one that worked for me going through HDMI cable. Never tried dual monitors because I don't have a second one yet so this is what worked from HDMI single monitor.

For my Multibeast selections I used:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/images/attach/tiff.gif

1. Drivers & Bootloaders>Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALC8xx>Without DSDT>ALC892
Only thing that needs to be checked in here was *ALC892* (So make sure that's the ONLY check-box you have checked off)

2. Drivers & Bootloaders>Drivers>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement
ONLY *FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement* should be checked off.

3. Drivers & Bootloaders>Drivers>Network>Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx
ONLY *Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx* should be check off.

4. Drivers & Bootloaders>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
This is the only thing you can check off. Note: I used the latest release of Chameleon instead of Chimera. Only because i was having problems with chimera but i think that was due to me not having my boot.plist correct. *Note: make sure you have an Extra folder created on the root of you HDD if using Chimera because when i tried to use Chimera it never created it for me or the boot.plist that's inside the extra folder. You might even have to copy the boot.plist from the USB Installer or Extra Folder and place it in the root directory of your HDD. The boot.plist goes inside the extra folder. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

5. Customization>System Definitions>iMac>iMac 12,2
This is the only smbios i've used. I'm sure others work but this was good for me. Also make sure you ONLY have ONE checked off or you'll run into some problems from what i've heard.

Ok now for the ATI6000Controller.kext
Basically no matter what combination of framebuffers, graphics enabler yes/no, atiports 4/5 I could not get my dual fan XFX 6850 to become recognized. Started off with 3mb display for the graphics. Then got ati 6xxx 1024mb for graphics (i was able to change resolutions but if it's not recognized I don't believe it's fully being used.) What I had to do was use 3 specific kexts from my Lion 10.7.4 install. (ATI6000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, & ATISupport.kext) I copied all 3 of those .kexts to the desktop of the Partition you have Mountain Lion on. So use a USB stick or if you have multiple HDD in your case just copy them over from within ML.

Got the app store and icloud working by
1. Removing all devices from Network Preferences. Hit the Apply button
2. Deleted the NetworkInterfaces.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder
3. Shut Down computer and removed the PCIe WiFi Card (Anytime I tried to do it without removing this first, the pcie would still take priority)
4. Reboot
5. Go to Network Preferences and add Ethernet back to your devices. Make sure this is done first. It should read Ethernet(en0) instead of Ethernet(en1)
6. Now shutdown and put the pcie wifi card back into your slot and case.
7. Reboot and the add the WiFi device back into Network Preferences.
Must use *EthernetBuiltIn=Yes* in your boot.plist

Try to do all the multibeast and ATI6000 stuff before restarting your computer. You might run into booting issues if you do one or the other first.

Now that should make your HDD completely bootable. I'm using a 1TB HDD so I didn't have to worry about the Boot0 issue.
I know more veteran members will point out extra things to use (KernelCache and whatever else) but this setup has me running completely.
Please add anything that might be of help with the guide or something I might have missed or could help. Also please let me know if this helped you.
I will be posting in the Support section also so if you need any help from me or hopefully other members will chime in then do so in that Thread. I believe this section of the forum is only focused on the guides.

And major thanks to anybody I left out. I've went through countless forums and threads and used something from each one pretty much

Oh & please message me if you need any pictures sent to you or anything else I can do to help make it easier

Attachments

• AboutThisMac.tiff
    100.8 KB · Views: 128
  • GraphicsSystemReport.tiff
    116.9 KB · Views: 118
  • MultiBeast.tiff
    308.5 KB · Views: 112
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back