Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just received my Asus P8B WS today and am excited to start working on it! I installed SpeedStepper on my same SSD this morning when it was still attached to my Intel DQ67EP system. I also have all the latest UserDSDT, hnak's e1000 1.9.5, and a few other options from MultiBeast 4.3.0 installed. I previously had a DSDT installed for my DQ67EP board but just deleted it from /Extra in preparation for moving to the P8B WS board.

The very first thing I did before even booting the operating system was to install the patched BIOS for the P8B WS provided by samisnake. This was to prevent any kernel panics. SpeedStepper already addresses the same problems but I plan to remove the SpeedStepper modification shortly.

I first booted up with rBoot which worked fine but then I booted up direcrtly from my SSD. To my surprise, everything seemed to be working fine. My setup is currently the Asus P8B WS, Intel Core i7 2700K, 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, and my PowerColor Radeon 6870. I opened up DSDT Editor and extracted my DSDT according to the instructions in the "Creating your own DSDT for most boards" thread. This vanilla DSDT is attached.

DSDT.dsl

I am now going to start adding DSDT patches and will update this thread as I go along through this process in case this might benefit someone else.

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    331.5 KB · Views: 316
Re: Asus P8B WS DSDT

So here is my first attempt at a DSDT. Everything went much faster and more smoothly than I expected. I used DSDT Editor and applied the following patches included with DSDT Editor to the vanilla DSDT above:

In the root Patches folder I applied:

HDEF.txt
Mac devices.txt
New HPET.txt
Possible operator timeout is ignored.txt

In the Desktop folder within the root Patches folder I applied:

_T_x rename.txt
alias fix.txt
DTGP.txt
EHCI.txt
IRQs.txt
LPC SANDYBRIDGE.txt
RTC.txt
SMBUS.txt

All that is left at this point is to apply the patch for ALC892 audio which I downloaded from olarila.com here. I downloaded the patch under the Misc section, not the one for a Gigabyte board.

Update: Audio is working exceptionally well with no clicks or problems. This is way better than any of the Gigabyte boards I have worked with (I've had six Gigabyte boards). My front panel audio has a slight buzz but I believe that is a grounding issue since connecting to the back panel is absolutely perfect.

Update 2: I had an Apple USB keyboard connected to the front panel USB ports and as soon as I disconnected the keyboard, the buzzing in the audio disappeared completely.

After applying all of these patches, everything seems to work so far. If anyone else would like to give it a try, feel free.

DSDT.dsl
DSDT.aml

If you want to try this on your system, follow the usual pattern of installing via MultiBeast with UserDSDT. This DSDT.aml file should be copied to your desktop for this to work. I used the following selections in MultiBeast.

Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 9.25.30 PM.png

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    334.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSDT.aml
    38.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 9.25.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 9.25.30 PM.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,174

Another major task with the DSDT is PCI device-id injection. I've been thinking about this for quite a while for one very important reasons. The Asus P8B WS has dual Intel 82574L LAN controllers which could use Apple's stock Intel82574L.kext driver rather than hnak's AppleIntelE1000.kext. The only reason this is an attractive option is that hnak's driver does not support VLANs. In every other way the driver is excellent and works extremely well on other Intel E1000 chipsets such as the 82579 controllers often found on Sandy Bridge motherboards.

On the Asus P8B WS, the two 82574L controllers fall under PEX5 and PEX6 in the DSDT. I first started going down this path by applying the LAN0.txt patch in DSDT Editor. This gave me a start but many hours of research today have provided some more answers.

If you look under Device (PEX5), the last Method will be called _PRT. This method and its associated lines can be deleted. Instead, we are going to add LAN0 and eventually LAN1 under PEX6 as well. The full block of code for LAN0 looks like this:
Code:
                Device (LAN0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x12)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name",
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-5"
                                },
                                "built-in",
                                Buffer (One)
                                {
                                    0x00
                                },
                                "location",
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    "1"
                                },
                                "device-id",
                                Buffer (0x00)
                                {
                                    0xF6, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "revision-id",
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "subsystem-id",
                                Buffer (0x2C)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "subsystem-vendor-id",
                                Buffer (0x2C)
                                {
                                    0x86, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "device_type",
                                Buffer (0x14)
                                {
                                    "Ethernet Controller"
                                },
                                "model",
                                Buffer (0x2B)
                                {
                                    "Intel 82574L PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }

I will go through each section so it makes sense what is going on. The first line we will look at is "Store (Package (0x12)" and this is the first line where the number of key value items are defined. If you look through the items defined, there are nine of them. Each one is represented by a key and a value which makes 18. The decimal number 18 in hex is 0x12 which is where the value comes from. If you remove key/value information from this block of DSDT code, you would need to decrement 0x12 by two each time you do that. For example removing one block of code would make hex 0x0E which is decimal 16.

Code:
                                "AAPL,slot-name",
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-5"
                                },

While the "AAPL,slot-name" key really has nothing to do with actually getting the 82574L controllers to work, it does allow them to show up properly under PCI devices in System Information which makes this process easier. I gleaned this information from a post by MaLdOn. He apparently found this from a DSDT dump from a real Mac. It doesn't seem to matter what value you use for this property but "Slot-5" made sense to me since this is part of PEX5. In other examples I have seen GIGE and other Slot- values have been used.

The next section is the "built-in" key. Intuitively, this would have a value of 0x01 instead of 0x00 but it seems to show up in IORegistry as 0x00 regularless and MaLdOn's example used 0x00 as well.

Also, I should mention that the Buffer (0x07) values comes from the PCI config space. I'm not sure that they all need to be correct since I had some wrong and I was still getting the proper information but it's better to be accurate than not.

The next key is "location" which apprently is relevant when you have two ethernet controllers. The "location" value is 1 on LAN0 and 2 on LAN1 in accordance with a post by kDawg and an actual DSDT dump from a Mac Pro.

The next four values are the important ones.
Code:
                                "device-id",
                                Buffer (0x00)
                                {
                                    0xF6, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "revision-id",
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "subsystem-id",
                                Buffer (0x2C)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "subsystem-vendor-id",
                                Buffer (0x2C)
                                {
                                    0x86, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00
                                },

The "device-id" key is what we are using to tell the operating system that the 82574L controllers are really a different PCI device-id than they are so that it matches Intel82574L.kext. Intel82574L.kext matches only 0x10f68086 and 0x104b8086. When we are looking at device-id hex strings, the first two bytes are the device-id and the last two are the vendor-id. So the actual device-id values are 0x10f6 and 0x104b. The vendor-id is 0x8086 which happens to be Intel. Also remember that these are little endian values so, for example, 0x8086 is represented as 0x86, 0x80 in the various sections.

In Apple's "Writing a Driver for a PCI Device" we see that the driver is matched against four possible values: IOPCIMatch, IOPCIPrimaryMatch, IOPCISecondaryMatch, and IOPCIClassMatch. The last of these, IOPCIClassMatch is always the same for network controllers (0x0200) and is not of any concern for this process. The other three are more important.

Read the beginning part of Apple's "Writing a Driver for a PCI Device" to understand how the matching takes place. In a nutshell, IOPCIMatch will look through primary device-id and vendor-id and then also subsystem device-id and vendor-id to find a match. IOPCIPrimaryMatch only looks at primary device-id and vendor-id and IOPCISecondaryMatch only looks at subsystem device-id and vendor-id.

In the case of the Intel82574L.kext, both IOPCIPrimaryMatch and IOPCISecondaryMatch are used. From the Info.plist inside Intel82574L.kext:

Code:
                        <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                        <string>0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>
                        <key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key>
                        <string>0x00008086 0x00000000</string>

Based on the fact that there is a dual port Apple 82574L card available with the device-id of 0x10f6, I decided to use that PCI device-id. As you can see form the IOPCISecondaryMatch line, only the vendor-id of Intel (0x8086) is matched and so I just decided to zero out subsystem device-id in the DSDT.

The final keys of "device-type" and "model" are just cosmetic and make the controllers look better in System Information.

After quite a bit of head scratching, I finally got it all working. At one point I did do a -f -v boot with Chimera that ended in a waiting for root device hang and I also ran "sudo kextcache -system-caches" from Terminal but I'm not certain if these are actually needed since I was fixing my errors through that process.

Why?

The whole reason to do PCI device-id patching in the DSDT is to keep the system as vanilla as possible. It is very easy to patch the device-id that is matched in Intel82574L.kext but this would have to be re-applied at every update.

Attached are my DSDT-LAN.dsl and DSDT-LAN.aml files. If you want to apply these patches to your own DSDT, I would suggest you look at LAN0 and LAN1 in the PEX5 and PEX6 sections respectively and copy that information to your own DSDT.

DSDT-LAN.dsl
DSDT-LAN.aml

Update: After running System Utilities which rebuilds caches and so forth, LAN stopped working again. Removing the IOPCISecondaryMatch key and value in the Info.plist for Intel82547L.kext returned it to functioning. I am attempting to get the subsystem device-id from an actual Apple card that uses the Intel82574L.kext driver to see how I can fix this in the DSDT. I'm determined to get this functioning because I do not want to have to do any Info.plist editing to get the Intel82574L.kext to match the onboard controllers.

Attachments

• DSDT-LAN.dsl
    345.6 KB · Views: 287
  • DSDT-LAN.aml
    38.6 KB · Views: 262

Reserved 3

First, thank you very much for putting all the information into this post. I would never have found all of these resources on my own. :clap:

I tried your method following the Olarila DSDT patching method as well as trying the modified BIOS. I also installed the same drivers except with the addition of nvidia 4xx for 10.7.3 and applying 10.7.3 combo update.
I am now able to get into the bootloader and start the boot. However when it tries standard boot it switches to the full resolution apple screen and gives me the "you must restart your computer" message. I try to boot in safe mode but it just spins the wheel forever. When I start in single user mode it works, but a minute or two after the root prompt I get:

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f820a5046): "CPU 6 has no HPET assigned to it"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPower?Management-167.3/pmThread.c:172

This is much further than I have gotten before. Maybe the issue is graphics and I need a DSDT for GTX 470. I will take another stab this evening.

witchbutter said:
First, thank you very much for putting all the information into this post. I would never have found all of these resources on my own. :clap:

I tried your method following the Olarila DSDT patching method as well as trying the modified BIOS. I also installed the same drivers except with the addition of nvidia 4xx for 10.7.3 and applying 10.7.3 combo update.
I am now able to get into the bootloader and start the boot. However when it tries standard boot it switches to the full resolution apple screen and gives me the "you must restart your computer" message. I try to boot in safe mode but it just spins the wheel forever. When I start in single user mode it works, but a minute or two after the root prompt I get:

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f820a5046): "CPU 6 has no HPET assigned to it"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPower?Management-167.3/pmThread.c:172

This is much further than I have gotten before. Maybe the issue is graphics and I need a DSDT for GTX 470. I will take another stab this evening.
Apparently I didn't include in the list one more patch that is required. Apply the "new HPET" patch. In order to boot up without the panic to put the DSDT in place, type DSDT=No at the Chimera prompt. Sorry about that omission.

The DSDT files I posted that I patched do include the HPET fix.

Added PCI device-id injection above for the dual Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet controllers so this board has native VLAN support due to using Apple's Intel82574L.kext driver.

Patching with new HPET alleviated kernel panic, however it is still unable to boot unless I specify GraphicsEnabler=No. It looks like all my remaining issues are due to the GTX 470.

Unfortunately this post is useless to me: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12829 Where would you go to figure out a DSDT edit for this?

witchbutter said:
Patching with new HPET alleviated kernel panic, however it is still unable to boot unless I specify GraphicsEnabler=No. It looks like all my remaining issues are due to the GTX 470.

Unfortunately this post is useless to me: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12829 Where would you go to figure out a DSDT edit for this?

Did you install the "NVIDIA 4xx/5xx Support" option in MultiBeast 4.3.0? That might solve the problem right there.

Yes. The option from Multibeast 4.3.0 is the one which is currently not working. I tried also the new OpenCL enabled version and it did not work either.

Also I notice the ALC89x audio does not actually work. This is not a dealbreaker for me, because ultimately if this build is solid I will be using a Focusrite Saffire 26/IO via firewire and that does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back