Contribute
Register

ASUS P7P55D-LE for SL Core i5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i5 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GT 240
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Let me just say bravo to all the hard work you guys have already done regarding bringing the power of Snow Leopard into a custom PC build.

I'm new to this forum, but not new in the realm of Hackintoshing. I've had my AMD Leopard running for 2 years now. But I am ready for a change.

As much as I wanted a GIGABYTE P55 mobo, its not available in my country. What is readily available is the ASUS P7P55D-LE. I've read through jaimepedder's thread on installing SL, and seen the DSDT link on the database. I'd like to be really sure before I buy the components that it will work on Snow Leopard (with audio, lan, etc).

Here's what I plan to build:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-LE or P7P55D-E
Chip: Intel Core i5 650 or 750 (depending on budget)
Graphics: Inno3D Geforce GT 220 512 DDR2 128 bit HDMI
HDD: 2 Maxtor SATA drives (7200 rpm each, one 80GB and one 500GB recycled from onld system)
RAM: either Kingston or Corsair 2GB 1333 DDR3 (one for now, will buy another 2GB later)

Hopefully your knowledge will place me on the right path to my build.

Let me just say bravo to all the hard work you guys have already done regarding bringing the power of Snow Leopard into a custom PC build.

I'm new to this forum, but not new in the realm of Hackintoshing. I've had my AMD Leopard running for 2 years now. But I am ready for a change.

Thanks! Glad to know we're appreciated! And nice job getting AMD working with Leopard, I'm going to try that this weekend (although with every incompatible specs, just for fun).

As much as I wanted a GIGABYTE P55 mobo, its not available in my country. What is readily available is the ASUS P7P55D-LE. I've read through jaimepedder's thread on installing SL, and seen the DSDT link on the database. I'd like to be really sure before I buy the components that it will work on Snow Leopard (with audio, lan, etc).

Cool, I'll try to help you out with that.

Here's what I plan to build:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-LE or P7P55D-E

Are you sure you want to spend so much on a MB? I just checked the two boards, and I haven't seen the LAN chipset before, so I'm not sure about that. Also, your audio chipset isn't Realtek, so I don't know how that will be supported. I'll try to look up cheaper more compatible boards for you (and hope they're available in your country!).

Update: I didn't look for Gigabyte boards, so the MSI P55-GD65 looks ok, it can be patched using MultiBeast audio ALC 889, but still not sure about LAN. It's cheaper, too!
Update: I just realized, the P7P55D-E and P7P55D-LE are both in the DSDT Database:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/dsdt-database-for-p55-motherboards.html
To use the DSDTs, just select userDSDT in MultiBeast.

Chip: Intel Core i5 650 or 750 (depending on budget)

Well, what will you be doing most often on your computer? A lot of programs won't even use all 4 cores.

Graphics: Inno3D Geforce GT 220 512 DDR2 128 bit HDMI

The GT 220 should work fine. GraphicsEnabler=Yes might be it. If not just post in forums and we'll get it. If nothing else works a kext will definitely get it.

HDD: 2 Maxtor SATA drives (7200 rpm each, one 80GB and one 500GB recycled from onld system)

If you are open to recommendation, a lot of people like the Samsung Spinpoint for it's quietness while maintaining good read/write speeds.

RAM: either Kingston or Corsair 2GB 1333 DDR3 (one for now, will buy another 2GB later)

If you have this in your country, the G.Skill Eco series is faster (1600 MHz, CL7), more efficient (uses less voltage, aka less electricity too), and creates less heat in your case. It may even be cheaper than the Corsairs, but probably not the Kingstons.

Hopefully your knowledge will place me on the right path to my build.

Thanks! I hope so too! :D

Thanks for the feedback.
Update: I just realized, the P7P55D-E and P7P55D-LE are both in the DSDT Database:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... oards.html
To use the DSDTs, just select userDSDT in MultiBeast.
So I guess the ASUS P7P55D-LE (I'm leaning towards getting this one, cheaper than the D-E for some reason) is good to go having a DSDT available for it, right? Audio will work? Lan is no problem, I still have the one I'm using on my AMD machine which works with the Realtek kext from 10.5.8 (unless, of course, it will no longer work for SL). I just want to be sure that sleep works, updating from Software Updates work, shutdown from power button... you know, almost like a real mac. I couldn't get my AMD machine to sleep right, but the rest I can do.
what will you be doing most often on your computer?
I'm a graphic designer, so mostly high-resolution Photoshop and Painter work.
If you have this in your country, the G.Skill Eco series is faster (1600 MHz, CL7)

If I can find it here, I'd definitely look to get it. Highly doubtful. As for the HDDs, they're still fairly new so I won't be upgrading them for awhile. Maybe later on when I have some spare change.

So I guess the ASUS P7P55D-LE (I'm leaning towards getting this one, cheaper than the D-E for some reason) is good to go having a DSDT available for it, right? Audio will work? Lan is no problem, I still have the one I'm using on my AMD machine which works with the Realtek kext from 10.5.8 (unless, of course, it will no longer work for SL). I just want to be sure that sleep works, updating from Software Updates work, shutdown from power button... you know, almost like a real mac. I couldn't get my AMD machine to sleep right, but the rest I can do.

Yes, if the board is in the DSDT Database, LAN and audio should be supported. But really you don't need boards that expensive (I checked around $200 USD!) for that build. $100-150 USD motherboards will be fine. So if you feel like getting a different motherboard, just repost and I'll try to help you.

I'm a graphic designer, so mostly high-resolution Photoshop and Painter work.

To be honest, you won't need 4 cores. 2 faster cores will do you more good.

If I can find it here, I'd definitely look to get it. Highly doubtful. As for the HDDs, they're still fairly new so I won't be upgrading them for awhile. Maybe later on when I have some spare change.

Don't worry about the HDD's if you've already bought HDD's. I was just suggesting something a little better. Really all HDD's work fine with Snow Leopard (unless it's been proven to have trouble, but Maxtors should be ok).

$100-150 USD motherboards will be fine.
The price in my country for the board mentioned (when converted to USD) is around $150. The P55D model is priced at $200. Just FYI.

I guess I'm settled, be buying the mobo this afternoon. Will get back to you for any problems. Thank you, jimx86 for all the feedback. :thumbup:

dagger said:
$100-150 USD motherboards will be fine.
The price in my country for the board mentioned (when converted to USD) is around $150. The P55D model is priced at $200. Just FYI.

I guess I'm settled, be buying the mobo this afternoon. Will get back to you for any problems. Thank you, jimx86 for all the feedback. :thumbup:

Hm, in that case I guess it doesn't matter too much :)
I just realized there was a LX model of one of your boards, I might've saw that price instead. So long as your board doesn't go over $150 you're fine, otherwise it's overkill for your system.

No problem, dagger! Glad to be of service!

Just to give an update to the rig I just built:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-LE
Processor: Intel i5-650 3.20 GHz
Graphics: PALIT nVidia Geforce GT 240 512MB 128bit GDDR3 (the DDR2 GT 220 wasn't avaiable)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA drives 80GB and 500GB 7200rpm
RAM: 2GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 (will add more once stable)

I changed the graphics card from what I previously intended to buy, but as long as its nVidia Geforce I think I'm good, right?

dagger said:
Just to give an update to the rig I just built:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-LE
Processor: Intel i5-650 3.20 GHz
Graphics: PALIT nVidia Geforce GT 240 512MB 128bit GDDR3 (the DDR2 GT 220 wasn't avaiable)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA drives 80GB and 500GB 7200rpm
RAM: 2GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 (will add more once stable)

I changed the graphics card from what I previously intended to buy, but as long as its nVidia Geforce I think I'm good, right?

Looks good! :thumbup:
And you're right, as long as it's Geforce you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back