Contribute
Register

Asus P7P55D-E PRO over clocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running the 860 i7 2.8GHz at 4.05Ghz on the Asus P55P55D-e pro board. Totally stable.

I just got myself the Schythe Mugen Rev B as previously I was hitting 95c on Cinebench at 3.8GHz. At 4.05 on Cinebench the cores are driven up to c85c but not higher. Without stressing four cores run at between 48c and 51c.
The Scythe is slightly modified as I have a 1900 rpm Scythe fan on there. It is a noisy powerful beast but the rig is in a vented cupboard so you don’t hear it.

For the overclocking what I did was simple. In the bios, under Ai Tweaker choose auto OC tuner after setting profiles to turbo profile and Crazy 3.3GHz This automatically got the CPU running at 3.6GHz. Then restart and then change the clock speed from 19 to 21. When I get a bit of time I'll play around with core voltages etc. but for now I am getting some pretty respectable scores on Cinebench and Geekbench as you can see.

BTw if anyone knows how to change the reporting in Geekbench from "Hackintosh" to Apple mac pro I'd be grateful!

Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.52.33.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.52.33.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.56.42.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.56.42.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.57.44.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-09 at 14.57.44.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 251
jaspercat5 said:
Running the 860 i7 2.8GHz at 4.05Ghz on the Asus P55P55D-e pro board. Totally stable.

I just got myself the Schythe Mugen Rev B as previously I was hitting 95c on Cinebench at 3.8GHz. At 4.05 on Cinebench the cores are driven up to c85c but not higher. Without stressing four cores run at between 48c and 51c.
The Scythe is slightly modified as I have a 1900 rpm Scythe fan on there. It is a noisy powerful beast but the rig is in a vented cupboard so you don’t hear it.

For the overclocking what I did was simple. In the bios, under Ai Tweaker choose auto OC tuner after setting profiles to turbo profile and Crazy 3.3GHz This automatically got the CPU running at 3.6GHz. Then restart and then change the clock speed from 19 to 21. When I get a bit of time I'll play around with core voltages etc. but for now I am getting some pretty respectable scores on Cinebench and Geekbench as you can see.

BTw if anyone knows how to change the reporting in Geekbench from "Hackintosh" to Apple mac pro I'd be grateful!

Nice work! :thumbup:

jaspercat5 said:

i have an 870 but i cant get it passed 3.53, also i can't seem to find a clock speed setting, any ideas?

The second screenshot you see is where you start with everything set to auto. The CPU ratio setting (clock speed) will likely be set at 19. Anyway, set turbo profile and Start auto tuning. It will say that the computer will start several times but in my case it restarts once and then boots into OSX.

Check the CPU speed in "About this Mac". It should be optimised at the highest frequency that Auto tuning can deliver.

Then have a look at the first screen shot - set ai overclock tuner to manual and then up the CPU ratio by one and see if the system is stable. You should also install Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on your CPU temperatures.

Remember - all CPU's including the same model are different in terms of their ability to respond to over clocking so it's never an exact science.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 256
jaspercat5 said:
The second screenshot you see is where you start with everything set to auto. The CPU ratio setting (clock speed) will likely be set at 19. Anyway, set turbo profile and Start auto tuning. It will say that the computer will start several times but in my case it restarts once and then boots into OSX.

Check the CPU speed in "About this Mac". It should be optimised at the highest frequency that Auto tuning can deliver.

Then have a look at the first screen shot - set ai overclock tuner to manual and then up the CPU ratio by one and see if the system is stable. You should also install Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on your CPU temperatures.

Remember - all CPU's including the same model are different in terms of their ability to respond to over clocking so it's never an exact science.

well auto tuning worked, but i only hit 3.89 with my ram at 1557, annnd my geek bench went down 1000 points from 3.53 test with ram at 1600 :evil:

If Speedstep is not enabled it will run slowly - check that Speedstep is enabled in the Bios.

jaspercat5 said:

jaspercat5, thanks for posting the screen shots! Will give it a try when I get home...

Robe5000 said:
Has anybody successfully over clocked with this motherboard?

You can download a program called ASUS Turbo V-EVO from the ASUS site on your boards download section that you can install in Windows if you dual boot and it will automatically adjust your bios settings and tune your system to the best of it's ability; granted you have decent RAM installed as well as a good cooler. Don't use the one that comes packed in the ASUS support disk because it sucks.

I used this to boost my P7P55D from stock 2.6 to 3.8 and it is very stable. No need to mess with bios settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntHGIO0Noo&feature=related

Here is a demo of how it works. You might even get a hot chick like the one in the video. :lolno:

The BIOS based auto tuner is pretty awesome too, I hit 12181 on my 870 without touching anything but enabling speedstep and selecting "crazy". Sure makes it easy..

Running mprime now and then will start bumping up the clock ratio! :thumbup:

WOuld it be safe to choose an i5 setting for an i3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back