Contribute
Register

Asus P5G41T-M LX Mac OS X Yosemite MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found how to delete kexts while in desktop, using kextstat and kextunload, then manually deleting the kext file from the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory. I was worried I had all these lingering drivers messing things up.

Code:
$ kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   14    0 0xffffff7f81d17000 0x2000     0x2000     es.osx86.driver.EvOreboot (1.0.3) <4 3>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   15    0 0xffffff7f813ed000 0x2000     0x2000     org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) <7 4 3>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   20    0 0xffffff7f81cfa000 0x1d000    0x1d000    org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC (1328) <11 7 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   32    0 0xffffff7f81d1b000 0x2000     0x2000     org.tgwbd.driver.ElliottForceLegacyRTC (1) <11 4 3>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   43    0 0xffffff7f80ef6000 0x34000    0x34000    com.lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx (0.0.90) <42 12 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   64    0 0xffffff7f80e5c000 0x24000    0x24000    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (0.2.1) <63 12 7 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]

The VoodooHDA was the only driver installed, but I wanted to uninstall it before trying the others. Looked in the ~/Extensions directory to make sure I had the name right, then:

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext[/FONT]

I then right-clicked/deleted the kext from the directory. Easy as that.

None of the other drivers worked though. So I tried the VoodooHDA from the Snow Leopard MultiBeast 3.10.1.. figured it worked in SL, why not? Didn't work. :p

I've been using a disk cloning utility after certain successful intervals.. such as after a raw installation, followed by the
boot loader, followed again by updates. I've been doing this for years with linux.. turns a 2 hour install into 15-20 minutes of rewriting the working image back to the drive. So I wrote Snow Leopard back to the SSD just to see if indeed they still worked. They're perfect.. even the front panel works.. I forgot about them. :p I then restored the raw Yosemite image back to the SSD, and ran MultiBeast 7.1.1 again, adding EvOreboot this time.. as the pc wouldn't shut down. :p This time.. even before rebooting, I deleted my trash.. sound! But after a reboot.. no more sound. :(

This is sounding like a permissions issue.

Tested every VoodooHDA kext again, and 2.7.3 works.. but with a lot of static. It seems to be connected to the mic jack, as lowering the mic's level reduces the hiss in the speakers.. even though no mic was plugged in. I did find a hackaround though.. usb audio still works. :p I had an old usb dongle for a gaming headset that died long ago, but I kept the dongle just in case. It's good enough for my 2.1 speakers and my desktop mic, and it's crystal clear. :)

After doing some more searching and reading, I wound up modifying the VoodooHDA 2.8.4 that came with the latest Multibeast, inserting my ALC887's pinout in the NodesToPatch section of the Info.plist. At first I tried inserting my device and vendor id string, but that would just result in no jacks whatsoever. Even when injecting my info in the node section, I still wasn't getting any sound.. even though all my jacks were displaying in Sound Preferences. I fought with it for literally 6 hours before realizing it was the codec string.

Where the guides all had:

Code:
<key>Codec</key>
<integer>0</integer>

I came across another post where someone had:

Code:
<key>Codec</key>
<integer>2</integer>

Changed my patch, installed using Kext Utility, then rebooted.. front and rear sound works, but front and back mics, as well as the rear input jack weren't. Another few hours of searching and testing.. only to realize that it was due to the levels in the VoodooHDA Settings.. needed to raise iMix.. lol. I also needed to enable VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix, and I tried enabling VoodooHDAEnableHalfMicVolumeFix as well, but it just made things worse. Both front and back mics work, but they could be a little louder still, without needing to crank up all the input levels. I'm still playing with the gui.. the volume button for the channels could use a calibration.. and maybe a start point. The slightest movement either way of 12 o'clock and it goes from full blast to completely off. Pretty touchy. I also noticed both front and back mics are connected on the front mic channel in the config gui's, and the rear mic is actually my line in jack.. which is what I was trying for in the first place. I want to be able to capture video with this machine, and I'm kinda limited if I can't capture the audio. :p

The only issue it's having.. is the electrical "pop" when the machine boots up and turns off. It's the same in Windows though.. most onboard audio is.

Probably the way to solve your problem is by going to system preferences, under displays look for the tab "arrangements" and position your screens the way you want them. Hope i helped.

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. My first Hack and it went on very easily. Only problem I really had was the boot0 error but the dd command fixed that.

On-board lan works fine, sound is a bit hissy but I built this up to run Logic Pro X with a USB audio interface. Build is very stable and quite fast running 10.10.4.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Paul

I have the same problem with ASUS P5G41T-M LX.
I can't find the Driver with MultiBeast (Ethernet, audio, graphic card) my gte 250 stay 1024x720..

Sorry my English is bad. I'm French from Guadeloupe Caribbean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back