Contribute
Register

Asus N56VZ-S4035V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i've some questions...
I've a bad enclisi and don't have understand if have installed a mountain lion on this notebook, Are about to buy :)...

-------------------
Another chose for Who whant install Two hard disk in this Notebook :

http://www.pro-battery.com/battery-detail.asp?id=885

;)

I've been working nights so not much getting done following up with this, but I did want to share a link to UEFI booting. In the "Contents" menu, number 9, shows information about the Asus bios and booting from UEFI shell scripts. Let's get some combined brain power on this and figure out how we can get these n56xx machines to boot.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell

One other thing to point out, in the screenshot I posted, it shows the EFI partition labeled as "System." On System is a directory structure of:

EFI > Asus
> Boot

Under Asus there are 2 bin files, one for the n56vz and the other for the n56vm. I'm thinking these are crucial to getting these machines to boot from the EFI correctly. Under Boot is where the shell, (mentioned in the UEFI link I posted,) should go and be renamed.

When I'm conscious again, I'll follow up with these thoughts. Unless someone wants to volunteer......

@barrgoss:
He there, thanks a lot for your contribution! I want to ask what is the status with osx on that notebook?
After installing ML do you install any drivers, what is working, what is not working?
Thanks.

@barrgoss:
He there, thanks a lot for your contribution! I want to ask what is the status with osx on that notebook?
After installing ML do you install any drivers, what is working, what is not working?
Thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=o70fr8h6zLM&feature=plcp

Overall - partially works.

Sorry for the edit... I forgot to quote the post that my response is for.

"More Simple:
boot with -x
delete geforce.kext in S/L/E
ta..daa.. OS X ML loaded no black screen"

Not sure what you mean here. I don't have a black screen.

When I boot with the unibeast usb drive plugged in, I get the os/device choice menu. I arrow over to ML then type on the keyboard "-x" without quotes, hit enter and Mountain Lion boots up to the login screen. If I power up the laptop without the unibeast usb stick plugged in, it boots straight to the gray Apple logo. No beach ball or timer of any kind... it just sits there at the apple logo. I was looking for a way to automatically pass the argument "-x" straight to the loader so I don't have to type it in. So when I don't have the unibeast stick plugged in, the OS will automatically boot with the -x option. Almost everything behaves nicely when I boot -x.

Thanks.

@barrgoos:
If you have not succeed, try to remove GeForce.kext in S/L/E, and boot in with GraphicsEnabler=No.
-x is safemode that can be used to apply fix, just like for the purpose above.
You may not want to boot with safemode all the time, you will not get sound, QE/CI or other, unless you boot without -x.

One other thing to point out, in the screenshot I posted, it shows the EFI partition labeled as "System." On System is a directory structure of:

EFI > Asus
> Boot

Under Asus there are 2 bin files, one for the n56vz and the other for the n56vm. I'm thinking these are crucial to getting these machines to boot from the EFI correctly. Under Boot is where the shell, (mentioned in the UEFI link I posted,) should go and be renamed.

When I'm conscious again, I'll follow up with these thoughts. Unless someone wants to volunteer......

Sorry about the lack of follow-up lately. Work has pretty much eaten up my September.

Some things I had time to do some research on and some links to utilities I'd like to share; but of course I'm only sharing information and not suggesting you try or use these. The usual CMA statement applies: try or use any of these things completely at your own risk.

Asus makes a utility called Asus EFI BIOS Utility that is available on many of their mainboards that have UEFI. But of course, isn't available on the n56vz.

To try and find out the actual model number of my mainboard, I used:

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.61.3-g1-setup-en.exe

This shows info about your system.

There's a utility I haven't tried yet, but looks promising, for being able to pick which graphics card to use between the builtin and addin gpu's. I downloaded it and tried it on my old MBP but it won't run on machines without dual gpu's. I plan on trying this once I get my HBP back online.

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

If you have a N56xx with dual gpu's running a mostly stable OS X and decide to try this, let us know if it does any good for choosing which gpu the system will use.

I tried to find a reliable and easy to follow site with clear instructions on how to do hex editing on an Asus AMI Aptio bios to be able to unlock some of the UEFI features. But I coudn't find one that's clear and concise. Most people who understand the process assume everyone else will understand their instructions. Not necessarily so. Before I got busy with work, I downloaded:

AMIBCP v4.53 and used it to open a bios update for my system that Asus had available on their website: N56VZAS.211

BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL with this utility should you decide to open it. If you make changes to the bios update file and then use that changed file to update your system bios, if a mistake was made, THE POSSIBILITY OF BRICKING YOUR SYSTEM EXISTS!!!!!!!!!! I used it to open the bios update file and LOOK AROUND ONLY!!!! I made no changes and will not until I have a far better understanding of what it is I'm looking at.

BTW -

Apples new Retina MBP has the following stats:

• Intel Coretm) i7 2.3GHz
  • 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • 256GB Flash Storage
  • 15.4" LED-backlit Display with IPS Technology
  • SDXC Card Slot
  • Intel HD 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
  • 802.11n Wireless
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Compare those with the stats for the N56VZ:

• Intel Coretm) i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
  • 8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • 15.6" Full HD Widescreen Display
  • Blu-ray-enabled DVDRW/CD-RW
  • 3-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • Intel HD4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 802.11b/g/n Wireless
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

The Apple Retina MBP can be found for around $2199'ish. The N56VZ-RB71 can be found for about $1149'ish. Saving a thousand dollars is a pretty good motivation for getting this Asus to work. And, as the configuration of the Retina MBP is so similar to the N56VZ, I gotta wonder how long before someone figures out how Apple made this stuff work, and applies it to laptop's with similar configurations.

That's it for tonight. Time to get ready for work again.

i've succefully installa ML 10.8 in my n56vz thanks to your advice! now i've this component's that not working:

-audio
-wifi
-lan
-funciton key

someone managed to make it work? thanks

Hi guys, i've the same model of yours but i'm stuck in the installation with Unibeats. I boot from the USB and i can't reach the installation screen. I tried a few flags but nothing. Starting with the -v flag i get the errors :
- library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found. AppleHDAContreller - failed to resolve library dependencies.
- library kext com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily noy found. AppleSMCPDRC - failed to resolve library dependecies.
Someone fix this errors?

PS: I downloaded ML from the Apple Store.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back