1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi guys. I am pretty convinced on buying this model: Asus n552vx. Is there any chance of making it an hackintosh?

Thanks

As I understood nowadays skylake support is not yet complete. So, given that I go through an installation without any fails, I will have not working USBs and WiFi. And also big problems with graphics...

So, maybe I should wait some time before trying to install El Cap.... Just to let some DSDT magic happen out there.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

As I understood nowadays skylake support is not yet complete. So, given that I go through an installation without any fails, I will have not working USBs and WiFi. And also big problems with graphics...

So, maybe I should wait some time before trying to install El Cap.... Just to let some DSDT magic happen out there.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

It depends on the specifics of the graphics configuration. Intel Skylake graphics not ready for prime time. No current Apple products use Skylake graphics.

USB not an issue. WiFi not an issue with compatible hardware (most need replacing).

You didn't provide enough details on the hardware contained in the laptop, but I did a simple google search to see that it has Skylake. Figured you could read and do the appropriate research.

Sorry for the low spec post. I was from my phone and I was in a hurry at the time. Just for clearness sake these are the full specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
  • Chipset: HM170
  • Ram: 8GB DDR4 PC4-2133
  • VGA: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Dedicated VGA: nVidia Geforce GTX 950M 4GB GDDR3
  • WiFi card: Qualcomm AR9462 (from system info)

I know that dedicated VGA will be useless.

Again sorry for the fast and ignorant post.

Last edited:
Sorry for the low spec post. I was from my phone and I was in a hurry at the time. Just for clearness sake these are the full specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
  • Chipset: HM170
  • Ram: 8GB DDR4 PC4-2133
  • VGA: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Dedicated VGA: nVidia Geforce GTX 950M 4GB GDDR3
  • WiFi card: Qualcomm AR9462 (from system info)

I know that dedicated VGA will be useless.

Again sorry for the fast and ignorant post.

The discrete GPU (Nvidia) is likely not dedicated (but rather is switched... Optimus). Will not be used in OS X.

The WiFi will need to be replaced.

And probably better luck with the Skylake graphics when there are Apple products that use it.

The discrete GPU (Nvidia) is likely not dedicated (but rather is switched... Optimus). Will not be used in OS X.

And probably better luck with the Skylake graphics when there are Apple products that use it.

Sorry. I meant discrete. (I am pretty new to hackintoshing and I don't know precise technical language!) I do know that the VGA will be unusable in OSX (I know about Optimus) and I'm ok with that.

Since both WiFi and graphics are nowadays unsupported I think I will switch to some other hardware! Maybe with an older CPU (that means older integrated graphics) and a broadcom chipset for WiFi+BT.

Thanks for the support. This thread can be considered as closed.

Sorry if I continue posting here but I think it's the best place.

I saw that with 10.11.4 update Intel HD 530 works without any APIC fix. So, may I try to install?

Maybe you already know about this: ath9k kext Project

It's a bit old (2013) but couldn't it be something nice to work on to try making atheros 9k series work on mac? It seems like a Mac port of the linux ath9k kernel driver.

I saw that with 10.11.4 update Intel HD 530 works without any APIC fix. So, may I try to install?

AppleAPIC fix had nothing to do with graphics anyway.

But, yes, reports are that 10.11.4 has better Skylake graphics support.

Maybe you already know about this: ath9k kext Project

It's a bit old (2013) but couldn't it be something nice to work on to try making atheros 9k series work on mac? It seems like a Mac port of the linux ath9k kernel driver.

Install a supported WiFi card. Read the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back