Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,

Okay so I wrote alot here and mainly my question is, am I on the right track.. and what should I try to get OSX installed and booting?.

I noticed there is alot of Asus Maximus Formula III users here... which is good news because I just got this board from a friend and I am having problems installing 10.6 and even 10.7. I'm going to try and get 10.8 installed if I can soon, as pacha02 did it already with the same exact board: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=963&start=10

-Changed BIOS settings to enable AHCI mode for storage and turned off ACPI.
-I used iBoot to attempt to boot the 10.6.3 retail dvd but it didnt work.
-Used a few tonymacosx boot discs that were recommended to use specifically for my motherboard.

But all I get is either that Black screen of death where it says "Mac OS version not yet set" etc., OR I get nothing and it just reboots. I am thinking this is a BIOS issue as mine is the latest update (2104) and everyone else that is having success with installing 10.6 or later that have my board are using older BIOS versions like v1607. So if it is a BIOS issue then I have to downgrade. If i downgrade then I have to take out my sound card that came with this mobo and then reinstall windows on a seperate HDD, then install asus update (the version that allows downgrading) and then downgrade the bios, and then switch back to this Windows installation, and attempt to boot again. I tried using afudos to downgrade my BIOS but it doesnt work, i tried every command i could find on Google. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ASUS Maximus Formula III
Core i7 860
EVGA GTX 260 (normally using an ATI Radeon HD 6870 but nVidia is more supported for now)
16GB's Kingston RAM
160GB SATA HDD
Dual LG Burners (Main one is a Blu-ray reader).

Alright so heres an update despite no one caring. I successfully downgraded my BIOS to 1607 by doing one bios downgrade at a time using ASUS EZ flash. Though despite doing that I still cannot boot off any discs, and like I said I have ACPI and AHCI enabled and all my hard drives are all SATA. There are two different sets of sata ports on my board though, theres the black ones and theres the two white ones. If anyone has this board and has had the same issues please tell me what you did to fix this problem and thanks in advance!!.

First thing, find your DSDT in the DSDT database, make note of the BIOS version its for, and upgrade/downgrade your bios to that version which will in-tern completely reset your BIOS. If you already are at the proper version BIOS, do a complete reset within the Bios (Factory Defaults). Furthermore, you can flash the bios within the BIOS by loading the bios file (.rom) onto a flash drive and in the Bios there is a tool called EZ Flash, use that.

ONce the bios is set, reset, and configured (AHCI mainly), use IBoot and when going to boot from the OS X Lion disc, make sure you enter the flag PCIRootUID=1 and click enter. This should work to get you booted. Let me know if not.

RevisionZero said:
First thing, find your DSDT in the DSDT database, make note of the BIOS version its for, and upgrade/downgrade your bios to that version which will in-tern completely reset your BIOS. If you already are at the proper version BIOS, do a complete reset within the Bios (Factory Defaults). Furthermore, you can flash the bios within the BIOS by loading the bios file (.rom) onto a flash drive and in the Bios there is a tool called EZ Flash, use that.

ONce the bios is set, reset, and configured (AHCI mainly), use IBoot and when going to boot from the OS X Lion disc, make sure you enter the flag PCIRootUID=1 and click enter. This should work to get you booted. Let me know if not.

Thank you for a reply!. Do I use this .aml file and update my bios with it? will it be recognized?. I looked up the definition of DSDT using the search feature but I not sure yet if I use that file for my mobo (and it is in the database) and update my mobo with it or not.

Update: So I installed Snow Leopard successfully, so when it says "install failed" that means it worked. But I tried to swap video cards (back to my ATI Radeon 6870 1GB) and it does not boot now, my video card fan just goes up to 1000rpm and i get no picture. I guess I'll have to stick with the GTX 260 for now. I do want to get Lion working eventually, but i cant find the guide that was made specifically for this board... ill have to look for it tommorow night. If anyone knows how to get to Lion from here, and which bootloader to install instead of using the CD everytime.. let me know and that would be awesome!.

RevisionZero said:

I was able to install the combo update 10.6.8 then install Lion but after installing Multibeast and restarting it hangs at the boot screen (apple logo). I had my DSDT on the desktop when using Multibeast in Lion, and I installed Lion with a usb stick after following the tutorial on this site. When I had Lion up and running, anytime I would move the mouse around it would freeze slightly for half a second then go back to smooth. What should I do to try and fix the boot?. I am tempted to just re-do the whole process but with a wiser selection of kexts.. thats all i can think of. It is exciting to get this far already though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back