Contribute
Register

ASUS G75VW AS71 Mountain Lion Install Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a stupid question :p

So you don't have to boot with a thumb drive, except for the first time because you're installing ML. Well, you may also have to boot with it a second time so you can install the bootloader (Chameleon or Clover) on the ML partition or somewhere else, but I think Unibeast is in charge of that from the beginning. After that, the thumb drive isn't needed anymore.

Some people like me prefer not install any bootloader because it will mess up the existing Windows bootloader. I had a lot of problems with that and one time I had to wipe out all my HDD because I messed up really bad :p So I'm using an USB bootloader until everything is perfect. I hope that answers your questions :D

Definitely not my first Hack just my first Lap Hack. If I am not mistaken this machine can fit 2 hard drives. Is there a problem having windows on the second drive, and this boot loader on the first. This is how I have my 2 other Hacks, and my mac pro, which by the way uses rEFIt. Everybody always wants to know how I got that boot menu. I have been using it since 2007, and now Clover uses it.

Kevin

I am surprised that you could boot your clover using the 64 bits option ! I tried that but i always got boot 1 error (maybe because you were using a USB key). I managed to get my HDD and ML boot using Clover 980 with 1. BIOS MBR boot0hfs (HFS+Fat32) and 2. Install & Start 32-bit boot. And i could see my ML HDD but always a KP when trying to start it, so i had to remove one of my memory sticks (originaly 12 Gig, removed 4 Gigs), and yes it detecs the 8 Gigs memory ! Now i need to set up my Smbios for iMac 12,1 (thats the only way to get more than 4 states) and add my SSDTs (i have 31 of them so far, if anyone with the 3630qm interrested, i can post them all). It will be consmetics after that.

hey Slayer23, could you please attach a IORegistry Explorer Dump, I m interested in this laptop and I like to make some test to get the GTX 660m working.

Thanks!!

Guys, during my experimentation with different bios versions i could get the whole 12Ggs of Ram recognized in chameleon (and in the system itself) and Keyboard Backlight working with the 207 version. And i think it is because of the UEFI boot option in that versions.

that's strange...i tried the same on my n76vz but it had no effect on the RAM detection...same goes for the backlight. just to fully understand, this happens when you boot from the UEFI option or the non-UEFI? i tried both but still, only reads 3229 Mb of RAM.

My lappy also came with the 221 bios version but i could downgrade to ver 207 using the Winflash utility with the /nodate argument. All i did was to put UEFI BOOT option to enabled then booting my ML HDD normally. The keyboard backlight was ON (with no possibility to control it) once in ML and the memory amount in both Chameleon and System monitor were 12 Gigs. On other Bios versions the keyboard backlight were only getting on at boot check, then turned off until i get on Windows.
Actually the 207 version is the only one to offer UEFI BOOT option, thats why i assumed that UEFI was the key. Maybe we can extract the DSDT from the 207 instead of the one i have actually (ver 222). I will continue my tests once my lappy back from RMA (flashed with a modified Bios that erased my Lappy info -serial number, product info) and caused a lot of trouble on mac -Waiting for DMOS = 45sec , no more icloud functions,...
I did not backup my stock Bios, so updating to the other versions did not bring back these details...

i see. i did the same procedure to downgrade the bios however as i said, i tried booting all options but activity monitor kept only showing 3.25Gb.
thanks anyway, i'll keep following your tests...maybe we'll figure this out

GUID partitioned disks can't be seen in the normal boot order (on this laptop model) cause they are meant to be used with EFI while ms dos disks can be seen as normal boot devices (MBR), this is the reason why the usb stick used to install OS X (MS DOS) boots and is seen in the bios as normal boot device and the OS X installation (GUID) isn't available in the list.

This is not about a single partition but the whole disk.

Sooooo I have my first disk formatted GPT. Boots fine using clover. Make sure you format the EFI to be fat32. Also add \EFI\BOOT\CLOVERX64.efi to your boot options. Be careful though. Through my trial and error, you can make your machine "not post" by messing with boot options (mostly fastboot). If you find yourself in this situation, hold down ctrl+alt+home while you boot which will restore your BIOS so long as you still have the recovery partition. Oh you MUST turn off Fast boot, and NEVER turn it back on or you will not be able to post...

As for wifi, you need a usb dongle or patience to swap out the card. Not hard to do, but tedious. It will void your warranty if you do this, though since its under the keyboard.

For clover, just set PatchAPM in the options and GraphicsInjector. Also I couldn't get it to boot with usb3 enabled. I'm lucky, I have the 670m so all is good for graphics.

Oh oh.. important tidbit. You don't install boot0 at all on the EFI partition. Basically just copy the clover EFI folder to the EFI partition. This is the beauty of UEFI booting. Try it on a USB stick if you like.

Trackpad is hella sensitive. VoodooPS2 here. Haven't gotten the Fn keys to work(or backlight), though. VoodooHDA as well. Horrible sound really. No dynamic switching from headphones to speakers. You have to manually do this.

All in all it works. No complaints.

I will definitely try when I have the time :p Somebody might get ahead of me though....

EDIT: Still not working :(

I tried to install the 10.8.3 update came out today, however absolutely no luck. Cannot boot from the install disk (needed the usb drive to boot), only boots up when used -x -v switch, however what is interesting is the the gtx660m is visible in system spec, however with 0mb of ram. Didnt get too far with this in the last 4 months... :)

after reading the quite a few stuff about the g55/g75 gfxcard, i found that this is somehow a bit special as its a different size compared to the general models (maybe this could be the reason its not being recognized by the mbp / imac drivers. Also i found a site where you can download modded bios for this card what would enable you to adjust speed and voltage for the card.

There is a guy with an alienware 17 r4 machine who apparently has this card working with full HA without any modification. I'm wondering if we were to hack the card with the dell bios than it might would work... Just thinking out loudly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back